Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 ,A Drivers Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Not sure I can stomach the thought of it happening again.
After I got caught up in someones coolant at Mid-Ohio I lost a lot of my desire to get back out there. It just really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you know it shouldn't have gone that way. Then again I had 22 years of accident free fun including HSR and Club Racing up to that point.

The noted VIR and Mid-Ohio times are impressive.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Long story short, the typical DE guy who gives you a point-bye, then goes all "club racer" on you and races you down into the corner, while still online, forcing you to enter off-line (at on-line speeds) to avoid collecting both cars.

T15 at the new NCM Motorsports park is a hugely fast entry, with a very small window.

Perfect example of when the car being passed wants (or should) stay on-line, and be courteous enough to get out of the throttle a bit to avoid a situation that causes a whole host of problems. Ultimately, it's my fault for taking the pass, no doubt, not making excuses, but once committed I wasn't given any room to slow down enough for an inside (early) apex. In fact, I had to carry full speed to avoid collecting his car. Was so close, corner workers thought I was bumped from behind after entry.

Fought it all the way up the hill, but it ended up backing into the guardrail at 100mph+. Lucky to not be hurt.

This stuff happens people. If your tracking an RS and don't have it insured, you are either f-u rich, or crazy. My insurance check still doesn't take the pain away of balling up my favorite car ever. Not sure I can stomach the thought of it happening again.

Needless to say, an EPIC garage sale will be happening, which includes things like OEM 1 piece Carbon fiber/CGT seats, clubsport rear cage, and countless other parts. Stay tuned, I'll post a thread in our forum.
So sorry to read that. Rough!
We both hit the dust (Wall) this year. Both undeservedly.
Tough to accept but part of our hobby.

Most important is that you were not hurt, even though we would take some hurt to undo what happened. While I was crashing at 133MPH all my mind was seeing was a white room with white coats standing over me. Weird where the mind goes, I wasn't even sore the next day.
Could not care less about the cost once the car stopped and all my body parts were attached and functioning.

I always had insurance on the RS but of course not on the RSA when I crashed it.

Then again in the 4.0 I would have gone 30 MPH faster without fuel cell and roll cage, halo seat, etc. I'd have met the people in the white coats for real....
Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

This is happening everywhere.

My loaner 335xi last week (my 6spd e90m3 was getting serviced) with 8 or 9 speed (lost count) AUTO tranny was brutally fast. It would spank me in my v8 m3 daily train car.

At what point is fast enough? Put me in the wimp camp who can't stomach the stupidity at DEs anymore unless it's a private day. So I am enjoying on the street. And on the street? I'd be lucky if I can stay ahead of that 18yr old driving his moms 335xi watching me row hard in my .1 gt3. Oh well.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:10 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

MVEZ. Sorry to hear about the pumpkin. Glad you are ok though.

Know how you feel. Crunched my RS although it was very minor needing only bumper and fender replaced. One of the main reasons I sold it. Was just not comfortable tracking that much money even with insurance. Tracked a few more times after fix but in the end sold it. Still trying to decide what price point to replace it with. No way I can replace that mezger scream though . 85gold has the right idea but low powered car at my home track of Road America is just not as much fun.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So sorry to read that. Rough!
We both hit the dust (Wall) this year. Both undeservedly.
Tough to accept but part of our hobby.

Most important is that you were not hurt, even though we would take some hurt to undo what happened. While I was crashing at 133MPH all my mind was seeing was a white room with white coats standing over me. Weird where the mind goes, I wasn't even sore the next day.
Could not care less about the cost once the car stopped and all my body parts were attached and functioning.

I always had insurance on the RS but of course not on the RSA when I crashed it.

Then again in the 4.0 I would have gone 30 MPH faster without fuel cell and roll cage, halo seat, etc. I'd have met the people in the white coats for real....
Damn, sorry to hear that, I didn't know you had an incident also. It is weird what you think about. I remember saying "oh ****" out loud right before impact, lol, then was just glad to see all my parts attached. Wasn't sore one bit either. I have to say, these cars are well built, its amazing how rigid the tub is, it literally crinkled the passenger side quarter panel from sheer force of the impact on the other side.

Originally Posted by Modena 1
This is happening everywhere.

My loaner 335xi last week (my 6spd e90m3 was getting serviced) with 8 or 9 speed (lost count) AUTO tranny was brutally fast. It would spank me in my v8 m3 daily train car.

At what point is fast enough? Put me in the wimp camp who can't stomach the stupidity at DEs anymore unless it's a private day. So I am enjoying on the street. And on the street? I'd be lucky if I can stay ahead of that 18yr old driving his moms 335xi watching me row hard in my .1 gt3. Oh well.
+1. I have zero desire to go any faster than I did in my RS. I'm more about the experience, and having fun. I bought a miata, and pretty sure I just bought a very nicely built Cayman-S, both for track cars at less than half the cost of my RS. Will they be as fun, probably not, but I know they are fun in their own right, and I'll see where the RS market goes in the future. If it softens, then maybe I'll jump back in.

There really is nothing like driving a 911 quickly......
Old 11-04-2014, 07:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Yup. FF to 4:30
Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastle
Great lap times. I've seen very few HPDE drivers that can do consistent 2:01's. R6 tires shaves 2-3 seconds. New pavement this year shaves 2-3 seconds per lap. Don't know what your car weighs, but if your hitting 162mph with a 3.6L, you must be getting thru Oak Tree perfect and braking at the last cone of the back straight...awesome. Usually only the monster HP/Torque cars can hit 160 on the back straight. I bet the 991 gt3 is not the only car you passed. Would love to see the video.

Can't wait to push the 991 gt3 next week and see what it's capable of.
Video is coming. PC ran out of space and I am lazy to clean it up. But it will be up on my YouTube channel by the end of the week with a couple of others from the weekend. Search user "Mrmmuller" and you can see the mid-o video from earlier in the year.

The car is a stock 3.6 inside. ECU flash, filter and Catless headers (997) with 997 GT3 center box. Car makes around 430hp crank (corrected) on the dyno it's been on. Trans has 4.0 ring and pinion, guard LSD. RSS Tarmac suspension on all the lower. Stock coilovers and springs, never rebuilt. Weighs 2810 lbs without me in it. Usual aero upgrades. A good honest, hard working car that is just amazing to drive and probably my perfect car, even though I have a 4.0.

The TBL on that session was 1:58.5. Traffic in that session wasn't great (black and red combined) but I found a free lap, passing a car at the end. Some of the previous sessions had overall lap times that we generally the lowest. New coilovers (Ohlins TTX) and maybe new brakes (because I am sick of tapering pads, anyone got any suggestions?. Will start another thread) I am hoping will bring out even more in the car. I had 22 HC Hoosiers on in that session also, but there was a fresh 1 HC set in trailer but I didn't see the need to put them on.

Let's hook up at an event some time.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

MVEZ: So sorry to hear of the loss but glad you came out OK. :-(

I'm not an advanced level driver, and I see this all the time in the intermediate groups. I've several times opted to not take the pass, have had to slam on brakes in off-line situations, seen guys start to turn in on me, all sorts of craziness. General situational awareness is just lacking with some people.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Mvez... Was sad to hear, We had some great runs.
You drove that car extremely well
Glad your ok.. Andy's gonna be lonely for sure )
Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Mvez, sorry to hear about your car. It's hard to take when your baby hits the wall. The same happened to the car in my Avatar. Suspension broke at the VIR club race turning into the esses at 120 mph. Sideways up the hill and backwards into the wall. On the first lap of the first practice. From P1. Car just came out of paint a week ago. I was just glad I could climb out and kiss the wife afterwards.

It's like Trackcar said, the unfortunate reality is that crashing is part of it. Couldn't believe a $100 part almost killed me.

Buy a 996GT3 while they are still good value. Beat the snot out of it like they prefer. You will forget about your pumpkin when you are smiling passing cup cars.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I have never had a coach in the car. Told myself when I hit the plateau I will look for coaching, but it still hasn't happened. Managed a bunch of 2:01 flat's at VIR this weekend with the best being a 2:00.595. That was 5 seconds faster than I went last year and this was only my 3rd time at VIR. My car still rides on stock coilovers and I only transitioned to Hooisers this year after driving Toyo's the last 3 years. I agree with you, work on your driving, not making the car faster.
With these lap times, You have my respect, I will point you by anytime.... I did not see the data in the 1.gt3 but my guess would be 2:07 on MPSS, the car is in desperate need of other than street pads and tires. I almost bumped that Cayman at the end of the back straight so I put the front tires into the grass....not my car so I had to back it down and return it safe.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Long story short
Dang...sorry to hear. Better to have loved and lost.....

Glad your mind and body escaped.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Long story short, the typical DE guy who gives you a point-bye, then goes all "club racer" on you and races you down into the corner, while still online, forcing you to enter off-line (at on-line speeds) to avoid collecting both cars.

T15 at the new NCM Motorsports park is a hugely fast entry, with a very small window.

Perfect example of when the car being passed wants (or should) stay on-line, and be courteous enough to get out of the throttle a bit to avoid a situation that causes a whole host of problems. Ultimately, it's my fault for taking the pass, no doubt, not making excuses, but once committed I wasn't given any room to slow down enough for an inside (early) apex. In fact, I had to carry full speed to avoid collecting his car. Was so close, corner workers thought I was bumped from behind after entry.

Fought it all the way up the hill, but it ended up backing into the guardrail at 100mph+. Lucky to not be hurt.

This stuff happens people. If your tracking an RS and don't have it insured, you are either f-u rich, or crazy. My insurance check still doesn't take the pain away of balling up my favorite car ever. Not sure I can stomach the thought of it happening again.

Needless to say, an EPIC garage sale will be happening, which includes things like OEM 1 piece Carbon fiber/CGT seats, clubsport rear cage, and countless other parts. Stay tuned, I'll post a thread in our forum.
Ouch, glad you're ok. I got in a similar situation but without the crash, maybe because in the same situation I'd lift if I give a pass in a compromised section of the track. Something to consider while taking a pass, there's always another turn or lap, or session... in the end it's a DE...
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Mvez, sorry to hear about your car. It's hard to take when your baby hits the wall. The same happened to the car in my Avatar. Suspension broke at the VIR club race turning into the esses at 120 mph. Sideways up the hill and backwards into the wall. On the first lap of the first practice. From P1. Car just came out of paint a week ago. I was just glad I could climb out and kiss the wife afterwards.

It's like Trackcar said, the unfortunate reality is that crashing is part of it. Couldn't believe a $100 part almost killed me.

Buy a 996GT3 while they are still good value. Beat the snot out of it like they prefer. You will forget about your pumpkin when you are smiling passing cup cars.
Saw your car post-crash. Bummer, especially that early in the weekend.

What part of your suspension broke? Just curious as a new SPB owner.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Saw your car post-crash. Bummer, especially that early in the weekend.

What part of your suspension broke? Just curious as a new SPB owner.
Front left lower control arm. The piece that bolts into chassis. Clean break, top and bottom in then an apparent stretch on one side indicating it opened up prior to completely letting go, as opposed to a twist or. Impression of any kind. That corner didn't really impact the wall, and the corner that did was fine.explained why when I turned in at speed at the bottom of the esses putting that corner 'into' the hill it just came around and I had no steering. I was a passenger going backwards at 120mph a little confused at what had just happened.

I found out some cup teams time that part out at 30 hours because they had them broke. Jdistefa has had them break also. I will now replace them yearly, which is about 50 hours with wheel bearings. At about $100 a corner, it's cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 ,A Drivers Car?