Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 ,A Drivers Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Mvez what happened to your pumpkin???

All these cars are fast, some offer a different driver experience, some prefer the newer stuff, some prefer the older stuff. if race car then newest is probably best, as its fastest, but this isn't race car, it's fun car. For me personally, i like the challenge of the more 'analog' experience, it's hard to be fast, even with a fast car. I'm not ashamed to point by a cayman or boxster, not my goal to win de. But everyone has their thing they like. choice is good. I like vinyl records. I live in an old house. I work in high tech and am surrounded by bleeding edge everything all day long so it's fun to just play with older stuff sometimes.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:42 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I was at VIR this weekend to. I found that red 991 GT3 on track in the red run group for one session. I saw it up ahead of me and actually wasn't looking forward to trying to catch it as they have a reputation of being incredibly fast.

But I caught it within a lap, got a point by and pulled away from it. Within a lap I couldn't see it in the rear vision mirror anymore. No idea if it was you or someone else driving, but it made me happy that my analog, 996 GT3 could still hold its own against the new kid on the block.

That's the third time for me I have run across a 991 GT3 on track, and each time it's the same experience for me. So I wonder if they feel faster than they really are. Don't get me wrong, it was probably the next fastest car on track that I found, but I have a harder time catching a 996 Cup and getting a point by than I do the 991 GT3's.

Me personally, I am sticking with a stick. I agree with all the comments on involvement. I have a DSG M3 and find a prefer driving it in auto mode, otherwise I just end up driving like an a$$hole, but not necessarily faster. That involvement the stick experience gives you is just so satisfying when you get it right. If I was getting paid to drive, then I would want the easiest and fastest, which would be paddles. But I don't get paid, and I can pass everything I can find in my 996GT3 track car, knowing at the same time I am working more on my driver skill than buying the front of the DE pack.
Not sure , the only one I recall not being to keep up with was a very very fast Yellow Cayman, I have never seen 158 mph at VIR before.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I remember several years ago before the advent of paddle shifted F1 cars a magazine interviewed several F1 drivers about their daily drivers. Most drove automatics. When asked about their choice a couple replied that if someone wanted them to change gears they would have to paid to that. Interesting how things change.

As to Lewis, if it's bling Lewis will no doubt have one. Taking nothing away from his driving skills.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:56 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not so picky! I like driving them all, but like Mooty said. It will be hard to sell 7rs/4.0. The 1.3 is an amazing car. But IMO it's to civilized for being branded a gt3. Please make the the 1rs barely street legal?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i will sell my 991RS before i sell my 7.2RS
Hey Andreas, are you listening?

I was at VIR this weekend to. I found that red 991 GT3 on track in the red run group for one session. I saw it up ahead of me and actually wasn't looking forward to trying to catch it as they have a reputation of being incredibly fast.

But I caught it within a lap, got a point by and pulled away from it. Within a lap I couldn't see it in the rear vision mirror anymore. No idea if it was you or someone else driving, but it made me happy that my analog, 996 GT3 could still hold its own against the new kid on the block.

That's the third time for me I have run across a 991 GT3 on track, and each time it's the same experience for me. So I wonder if they feel faster than they really are. Don't get me wrong, it was probably the next fastest car on track that I found, but I have a harder time catching a 996 Cup and getting a point by than I do the 991 GT3's.
Spend money on coaching not faster cars. Some take longer than others to figure this out.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Well,I'd like to apologize to Terrence for linking his post here. But I have to say it speaks volumes to me :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-for-msrp.html

Thread already deleted. Let the conspiracy theories begin.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
It's been deleted because we started going way off topic talking about taxes and other BS. I feel really bad for the OP because I was one of the contributors on the off topic subject(2 posts),but I didn't start it. I apologize for that anyway...
I hope he comes back and posts his For Sale thread again.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:41 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I'm not so picky! I like driving them all, but like Mooty said. It will be hard to sell 7rs/4.0. The 1.3 is an amazing car. But IMO it's to civilized for being branded a gt3. Please make the the 1rs barely street legal?
+1.

Taking my "young mistress" to VIR next week. Will see how she compares to the prior generation.

Mvez, sorry to hear about the pumpkin. Hope to see you on track next spring with a new mistress. RS green?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hey Andreas, are you listening?

Spend money on coaching not faster cars. Some take longer than others to figure this out.

I have never had a coach in the car. Told myself when I hit the plateau I will look for coaching, but it still hasn't happened. Managed a bunch of 2:01 flat's at VIR this weekend with the best being a 2:00.595. That was 5 seconds faster than I went last year and this was only my 3rd time at VIR. My car still rides on stock coilovers and I only transitioned to Hooisers this year after driving Toyo's the last 3 years. I agree with you, work on your driving, not making the car faster.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
Not sure , the only one I recall not being to keep up with was a very very fast Yellow Cayman, I have never seen 158 mph at VIR before.
That was Mike Daino from Powertech. He is often one of the fastest in red with NNJR. I was touching 162mph in the brake zone of the back straight myself.

You pointed me by on the front straight (which kinda surprised me as I expected the 991 to just take off). Looks like you where getting held up a bit by an 80's Carrera when I come upon the two of you. I was the 996 GT3 with yellow headlights and red wingtips.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
What size wheel/offset are you running in order to fit 305-35-18 size tires on your 996? Given I was the crusader for 305 size Nittos for the .1, I like your choice.

The fact I don't even acknowledge anything else in this thread should let you know where I stand on the subject.
Not Sure what the offsets are. They are O.Z wheels and in 11" and 9". It's whatever Tire Rack sells.

I also am able to run 315 Hoosiers on the same rims with even more clearance. Stock fenders and suspension.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

That was Mike Daino from Powertech. He is often one of the fastest in red with NNJR. I was touching 162mph in the brake zone of the back straight myself.
His Cayman is quick at VIR, including in a straight line.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Mvez what happened to your pumpkin???
Long story short, the typical DE guy who gives you a point-bye, then goes all "club racer" on you and races you down into the corner, while still online, forcing you to enter off-line (at on-line speeds) to avoid collecting both cars.

T15 at the new NCM Motorsports park is a hugely fast entry, with a very small window.

Perfect example of when the car being passed wants (or should) stay on-line, and be courteous enough to get out of the throttle a bit to avoid a situation that causes a whole host of problems. Ultimately, it's my fault for taking the pass, no doubt, not making excuses, but once committed I wasn't given any room to slow down enough for an inside (early) apex. In fact, I had to carry full speed to avoid collecting his car. Was so close, corner workers thought I was bumped from behind after entry.

Fought it all the way up the hill, but it ended up backing into the guardrail at 100mph+. Lucky to not be hurt.

This stuff happens people. If your tracking an RS and don't have it insured, you are either f-u rich, or crazy. My insurance check still doesn't take the pain away of balling up my favorite car ever. Not sure I can stomach the thought of it happening again.

Needless to say, an EPIC garage sale will be happening, which includes things like OEM 1 piece Carbon fiber/CGT seats, clubsport rear cage, and countless other parts. Stay tuned, I'll post a thread in our forum.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a coach in the car. Told myself when I hit the plateau I will look for coaching, but it still hasn't happened. Managed a bunch of 2:01 flat's at VIR this weekend with the best being a 2:00.595. That was 5 seconds faster than I went last year and this was only my 3rd time at VIR. My car still rides on stock coilovers and I only transitioned to Hoosiers this year after driving Toyo's the last 3 years. I agree with you, work on your driving, not making the car faster.
Great lap times. I've seen very few HPDE drivers that can do consistent 2:01's. R6 tires shaves 2-3 seconds. New pavement this year shaves 2-3 seconds per lap. Don't know what your car weighs, but if your hitting 162mph with a 3.6L, you must be getting thru Oak Tree perfect and braking at the last cone of the back straight...awesome. Usually only the monster HP/Torque cars can hit 160 on the back straight. I bet the 991 gt3 is not the only car you passed. Would love to see the video.

Can't wait to push the 991 gt3 next week and see what it's capable of.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Mo, great write-up of the experience.

Matt- my experience to date has been similar to yours however when more of the 991's get sorted and properly setup they are going to be brutally quick and untouchable from a lap time perspective compared to our equipment. We have a local guy (also a rennlister) who now has a high comfort level and is running Pirelli slicks and I am no longer able to match pace.

The largest advantage to me is optimal gearing at all times. I rode in jcastle's 991 GT3 a few weeks ago at mid ohio and it was always in the sweet spot of the power band and ready to leap off of the corners. Funny that on the pipe it didn't feel 100hp more than my car but it felt like it made leaps and bounds of time on corner exit. That car shifted 15 times a lap at mid ohio, I've seen 991 videos at mid ohio shifting 18-20 times a lap. I shift 4 times per lap in my car.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcastle
Great lap times. I've seen very few HPDE drivers that can do consistent 2:01's. R6 tires shaves 2-3 seconds. New pavement this year shaves 2-3 seconds per lap. Don't know what your car weighs, but if your hitting 162mph with a 3.6L, you must be getting thru Oak Tree perfect and braking at the last cone of the back straight...awesome. Usually only the monster HP/Torque cars can hit 160 on the back straight. I bet the 991 gt3 is not the only car you passed. Would love to see the video.

Can't wait to push the 991 gt3 next week and see what it's capable of.
His car is smoking fast, and it's driven well. Put it this way, at Mid-O, which is my home track this year, I turned a personal best of 1:34.1 on the pro-course, on NT01's (stock engine, normal suspension mods, full interior), he turned a 1:33.9 on R888 (virtually the same tires) and had never even been there. His car is a monster, and exactly how I would build one.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 ,A Drivers Car?