Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chris Harris Going Solo

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news, I'm a big fan of his videos and glad to see him leave Drive.

I wonder how much he's kicking him self for trading in his 4.0 for a Ferrari 599.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:45 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I think Chris is well positioned for the web. The TV space is crowded enough. And a TV show would mean conforming to all kinds of rules, time constraints, etc, etc. Who needs that?

In the meantime he should get his act together and start writing for Panorama. That's where the good Porsche stories go these days.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
In the meantime he should get his act together and start writing for Panorama. That's where the good Porsche stories go these days.
+1 Harris and Stout: the only two auto journalists willing to call it like it is, regardless of the blowback.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

5th gear...
Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
5th gear...
Have him replace that Jonny guy and the show would be perfect.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Have him replace that Jonny guy and the show would be perfect.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking; Tiff, Vikki, Jason and Chris...
Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
...In the meantime he should get his act together and start writing for Panorama. That's where the good Porsche stories go these days.
+1

He's already worked with Stout in the past at Excellence. Those were great Harris columns.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Anyway so they can't make any money via YouTube ads because the channel is free despite having a pretty large audience. But if you looked at the views the majority of them were for Chris Harris. So they decide to take a chance and lose probably 80% of their audience and go subscription. I didn't bother.
Originally Posted by CarlEightySix
Didn't drive had a tv show in NBCSN? What happened to that Tv show?
Shedding a little light on the whole Drive+ and NBC Sports deal.

Two years ago, Drive, mainly JF Musial, approached YouTube with a solely focused on automotive interests YouTube channel. Produced by people who like cars, filmed by people who like cars, and made for people who like cars. YouTube underwrote Drive, well specifically Tangent Vector, for two years of content. Once the two years of money went out, they were left with a few options. Stop Drive or have a subscription service. YouTube would NOT let them make money off of ads anymore.

This is why in the beginning of the year you saw no activity from Drive, they were scrambling and trying to figure out what to do for their cash flow. With their options, they voted on having a subscriber service. The irony? Chris Harris was the deciding vote and is/was for the subscription service. Matt Farrah said on a Hooniverse podcast that even though you may have a contract with YouTube, some times, they don't send the money on time. They had agreed to quarterly checks. Some times YouTube didn't deliver money until a few months later. With the power YouTube has, they couldn't say anything, why? Because in one massive swoop, Drive would be gone from YouTube in a few clicks. Can't bite the hand that feeds you in the biggest way possible.

They went with the subscriber service in the worst way possible, in my opinion. Just instant, making people pay for these "films", videos, for some crap tier quality content. Don't get me wrong I love the content Drive had, but the tasteless way they went about doing this was what drove me to unsubscribing from their channel. It was classless and tasteless. Who pays $4/month for limited content when you have Hulu Plus and Netflix, which have unlimited content.

Where does NBC Sports come in? Someone has to pay for their productions. Views dropped immensely, millions of views to twenty thousand. The money for their videos has to come from somewhere, so a deal was struck with NBC, to make some content for NBC Sports. NBC Sports has green lit a second "season" of content for Drive to make for their channel

I tried to keep my personal opinion out of this as much as I could, but there's the background on Drive, Drive+, and NBC Sports.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:20 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

I don't think I get Youtube not letting them gather Ad revenue anymore? Isn't that the whole point? Or was their some side-deal for content that Youtube wouldn't let them enable ads for?

Glad Chris is doing his own thing -- now I don't have to sift through the Drive drivel to see his videos.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:39 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I would pay some small monthly for an all Monkey channel. He's genius.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:09 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I don't think I get Youtube not letting them gather Ad revenue anymore? Isn't that the whole point? Or was their some side-deal for content that Youtube wouldn't let them enable ads for?

Glad Chris is doing his own thing -- now I don't have to sift through the Drive drivel to see his videos.
That's the only part they never talked about. It might be something in their contract.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 101 Posts

"I wonder how much he's kicking him self for trading in his 4.0 for a Ferrari 599. "

What's worse is before that he sold his 993 GT2 - he wrote a couple of articles on the 993 GT2.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

Not much. He loved his perfect 3.4 71 911st: the kermit or the green ****ter. Harris should work with Tuttle and xtc to build more of these. I'd buy one for $150k.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by rayng
<<<@!1!@>>>
So what's the deal with <<<@!1!@>>> that comes up sometimes while quoting posts? Been happening for about four days now.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

beat of luck to him ,,I do enjoy his style of Automotive journalism all ways interesting ..........

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Going Solo