Weekend at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weekend at Road America

Just returned from three beautiful days at Road America with Badger Bimmers. A lot of Porsches and Rennlisters there, too. There was one BMW M4 that was really fast - I learned later that it was TC Kline, driving a car that he's developing a suspension for.

Link to a video clip below. The first segment is following some friends, middle segment (3:10) is a clean lap, and final one (5:57) has a 2014 Corvette and Ferrari 333.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, thanks again for the ride for a first timer at Road America, really helped when I got out there!

Ray
Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ray09c2s
Jon, thanks again for the ride for a first timer at Road America, really helped when I got out there!

Ray
Glad to be able to help!

Jon
Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

wow, that was impeccably smooth!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Nice driving, but soooo many walls.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a fantastic time also on Friday and Saturday. Friday was my favorite with a ton of track time and perfect weather. I was the grey 6GT3 with the RS wing in the same run group trying to keep up with you guys. The 333SP has been at this event for the last three years and the sound of that car is phenomenal.

Kevin
Old 10-01-2014, 01:26 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Nice driving, but soooo many walls.
This! I live just West of Milwaukee, so RA isn't too far from me. I've only DE'd there a few times in my humble Boxster S. I like to call that a Big Boy track. It's made for fast cars and big ***** . Beautiful track tho. You do start to get numb to the speed of the track after a bit. ...and yeah that back stretch after the kink... so... much... concrete... its so easy to push towards the grass and then you're screwed (@120MPH).

Anyway, really nice smooth driving there Jon. Although I did get uncomfortable watching you guys do wave-bys along that back section! And, man do those GT3's charge up that hill coming out of turn 5! (jealous)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 AM
samo6556
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
Just returned from three beautiful days at Road America with Badger Bimmers. A lot of Porsches and Rennlisters there, too. There was one BMW M4 that was really fast - I learned later that it was TC Kline, driving a car that he's developing a suspension for.

Link to a video clip below. The first segment is following some friends, middle segment (3:10) is a clean lap, and final one (5:57) has a 2014 Corvette and Ferrari 333.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyxoWVJ18V8

Nice looks like a great time and some nice weather. I'll be out there in a couple weeks with mvp track time.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Miss that track so bad.
My favorite
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I really like this track. I think that it's one of the fastest in the US. My average speed for a lap is about 98 mph. I usually go to this event, and the trees are so beautiful. One time, a few years ago, it actually snowed one morning.

The key to the kink is getting the car set up for it. I lift at the access road, brush the brakes before the one, and turn in with slow hands to the apex with balance throttle. The car has to be settled at the apex. Then start squeezing the throttle down as the exit curb comes into view and I know I can make it. I made up a lot of time on people there. I also try not to look at the concrete. There were a two or three guys this weekend who messed up that turn and came back on a wrecker.

Jon
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Really enjoyed watching your 2.35 lap, nothing to sneeze at.
I'd give my left nut to be there on a crisp sunny morning with a ready to go RS right about now.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Really enjoyed watching your 2.35 lap, nothing to sneeze at.
I'd give my left nut to be there on a crisp sunny morning with a ready to go RS right about now.
I kind of settled into 2:35-2:37 laps. I always seemed to hose up one corner or another. The one on the video would've been faster if I hadn't overcharged 12... I lost at least a second there.

We had three beautiful days in a row, temps in the mid 50's in the morning, and mid 70's in the afternoon. Doesn't get any better than that!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dantzig
I kind of settled into 2:35-2:37 laps. I always seemed to hose up one corner or another. The one on the video would've been faster if I hadn't overcharged 12... I lost at least a second there.

We had three beautiful days in a row, temps in the mid 50's in the morning, and mid 70's in the afternoon. Doesn't get any better than that!
The best I could muster with my trusty '00 Boxster S on street tires was about 2:56. Where you're hitting 145-ish on the front straight and into 5, I'm at maybe 120 depending which way the wind is blowing. Going up the hill out of 14 is a bit agonizing.

Yeah, 12 is a tricky corner because the faster you get through the concrete corridor, the harder it is to scrub off enough speed to get to the apex in 12. Its a brilliant bit of track design when you think about it. You just can't stomp on the brakes 'til you get to that (short) straight segment going into 12, but its just not quite long enough with the speed you're carrying. At some point I suppose you have to limit the speed you carry into the braking zone. You sure as hell can't climb on the brakes with any enthusiasm as you're going through the bend (so much concrete!!! ).

Your brakes hold up OK for 2-3 track days there? Mine held up OK (again, slower car, on street tires), but I'd more or less kill a set of Pagid Orange pads in a weekend.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Brakes are fine it's a GT3 maybe .2 rear brake cooling..
Brake punishment for a .2RS is 2:26
Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jonwb
The best I could muster with my trusty '00 Boxster S on street tires was about 2:56. Where you're hitting 145-ish on the front straight and into 5, I'm at maybe 120 depending which way the wind is blowing. Going up the hill out of 14 is a bit agonizing.
Nothing like horsepower to make your day at a track like RA. Track tires help a lot too, because you can carry more speed onto those lo-o-o-ng straights. 145 is the top of 4th gear for me. There just isn't enough track left to make it worth shifting up and then back down in those places where I am already going down a gear or two.

Yeah, 12 is a tricky corner because the faster you get through the concrete corridor, the harder it is to scrub off enough speed to get to the apex in 12. Its a brilliant bit of track design when you think about it. You just can't stomp on the brakes 'til you get to that (short) straight segment going into 12, but its just not quite long enough with the speed you're carrying. At some point I suppose you have to limit the speed you carry into the braking zone. You sure as hell can't climb on the brakes with any enthusiasm as you're going through the bend (so much concrete!!! ).
I'm easing up before the first bend, and starting to brake before I get to the straight segment. Otherwise, like you said, there's just no way to slow down enough to make the corner.

Your brakes hold up OK for 2-3 track days there? Mine held up OK (again, slower car, on street tires), but I'd more or less kill a set of Pagid Orange pads in a weekend.
No issues. I'm running PFC-08 on GiroDiscs. I just finished washing the car. Lot of brake dust!

Jon

Quick Reply: Weekend at Road America