Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Suspension mod : Dynamic Suspension Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile Suspension mod : Dynamic Suspension Control

A few weeks ago, I inquired whether any GT3 owners had tried TPC's product called DSC or Dynamic Suspension Control. It replaces the OE PASM module.

See: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...n-control.html

Well, I've installed it and it has completely transformed the vehicle's handling characteristics.

Before the car was jiggly and wiggly upon hitting any road imperfection. Now, the chassis just blasts through pot holes and over expansion joints with a solid thump. No longer do I feel the dreaded "po-go stick" after-bouncing that plagued the OE set-up.

While stiffening the compression/rebound rates would seem counter-intuitive, it is just what the handling needs. The ride is now so much more sure-footed and stable.

Installation is a snap. Just remove two plastic screws holding up a thick piece of foam lining located just beneath the glove-box; push back the edge of the carpet and un-seat the OEM black module held in place w/ a tensioned plastic strap in the middle. Remove the wiring connector. Install the replacement gold box in its place. Five minute job on the 997.2.

997.1 owners need to install a separate accelerometer.

There are 3 modes:
Mode 1 = PASM button stays lit. For street or wet/bumpy tracks;
Mode 2 = PASM button blinks 2x. For medium smooth tracks;
Mode 3 = PASM button blinks 3x. For ultra smooth tracks.

The light is not distracting (and will only blink in track modes).

I am very pleased w/ the results and think you will be too.

Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks, Ill be trying this out shortly on my .1
Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd like to hear from 997.1 GT3 owners who have tried this on the track.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:46 PM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Thanks, Ill be trying this out shortly on my .1
tye, are you mostly street or track?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Also posted in the 997 forum...

Quick review of TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control or DSC for PASM equipped cars. For those of you who do not know TPC Racing has taken their years of suspension setup knowledge and put it into a software upgrade/control module box to replace the factory PASM box. Tom at TPC set me up, really nice guy and a wealth of knowledge.

This software/hardware is for the 997.1 and 997.2 cars with PASM. The .1 cars also need a 3 axis accelerometer wired in as the system relies on the accelerometer to dynamically adjust the dampening on each corner of the car. The 997.1 cars only have a 2 axis module from the factory (except the turbo and GT2). The .2 cars have a 3 axis system as part of the stock electronics.

This is really cool tech using stock PASM shocks and taking them to the level they are capable of through the DSC module. Couple the technology with TPC’s years of suspension tuning knowledge and you have a great package to take your car to the next level of handling without turning a single wrench.

This module replaces the stock module which is located in the passenger foot well, upper right side behind the carpet, a 5 minute install. The system then operates off of the PASM button that just has an on and off setting. The new module has three modes: This is not a static system as it adjusts each shock based on the loads the accelerometer and other metrics fed to the DSC box, TPC will have to chime in on the actual technology and specifics. It is also important to note that this system can be re-flashed with updated software from time to time.

DSC modes (from Tom at TPC):

Mode 1 = PASM button LED light lit solid. Softest peak stiffness of the three modes. Best for street, very bump tracks, wet track.

Mode 2 = PASM button LED light blinks twice. Peak stiffness stiffer than Mode 1 only in the higher load range. Best for medium to smooth tracks.

Mode 3 = PASM button LED light blinks 3x. Same as Mode 2 except the rear shocks will be stiffer during corner entry to transfer weight to the front. Good for reducing corner entry understeer if your car behaves as such.

My experience so far was last Sunday at a morning open lapping day at High Plains Raceway outside of Denver. This is a very technical track, off camber, blind and tightening radius corners, fast sweepers and slow hairpins. A good place to test.

My car did fairly well stock but did not feel stable especially during the heavy braking from 130 mph on the back straight into a 85 mph right hander, and through some flat out esses leading to the front straight, the car felt unsettled before, not any longer.

The DSC transforms the car, it is now much more stable under all conditions but especially noticeable during the heavy braking and during fast transitions (side to side). Overall the car is just more balanced, it is a great improvement. My lap times improved and became more consistent.

I drove primarily in mode 3 as this is a new track very smooth and fast, my car did push significantly before and does so far less now, interesting to note that mode 3 will help with understeer, I was unaware of the mode 3 programming at the time and it does make a difference.

I am very pleased, I need more time playing with the settings and getting some time on it, this weekend I have a DE with Porsche club I will have some more time to test it out. I will report back.

Last edited by Canyonrs4; 09-15-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Mick
tye, are you mostly street or track?
Mix of both
Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Mix of both
Would like to see ur cup look alike car. Which track groups do you go with? Haven't seen you out there.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Would like to see ur cup look alike car. Which track groups do you go with? Haven't seen you out there.
I haven't been out there the last year because my car has been apart. Finishing things up by winter and will be back out again next year.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I would so love to plug one of these in and try it out for a session at a DE....I might be hooked though!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looked on there website site and did not see the product...guess you have to call. What did it set you back for this?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Banned

Received 918 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by MikejGT3
Looked on there website site and did not see the product...guess you have to call.
Sorry MikejGT3, the DSC is not on the TPC Racing website. DSC will have its own website. Please feel free to call or email us if you have any questions about this product.

Tel: 410-799-7223 (M-F 9am-5pm EST)
Email: info@tpcracing.com
Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Juha Pussinen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some idea of prices

Hi Tom,

My name is Juha Pussinen and am finnish but living in germany ,Munich.

Am new GT3 Porsche owner. year modell 2007.

Am following your nice writing in here this forum quite lot. Some treads are soo nice explaning your ideas and nice info about GT3 suspension and DCS and..things what is related of this.

Only things what I dont find anywhere is price range what this modification cost into my Porsche. Of course I can call you and ask but time difference and cost off calls maybe is suitasble if u can send me msg or info where I can find price info.

Thank you in advance.Juha P ,Munich

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Sorry MikejGT3, the DSC is not on the TPC Racing website. DSC will have its own website. Please feel free to call or email us if you have any questions about this product.

Tel: 410-799-7223 (M-F 9am-5pm EST)
Email: info@tpcracing.com
Old 10-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Banned

Received 918 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha Pussinen
Hi Tom,

My name is Juha Pussinen and am finnish but living in germany ,Munich.

Am new GT3 Porsche owner. year modell 2007.

Am following your nice writing in here this forum quite lot. Some treads are soo nice explaning your ideas and nice info about GT3 suspension and DCS and..things what is related of this.

Only things what I dont find anywhere is price range what this modification cost into my Porsche. Of course I can call you and ask but time difference and cost off calls maybe is suitasble if u can send me msg or info where I can find price info.

Thank you in advance.Juha P ,Munich
Hello Juha,

Thank you for your interest. I have sent you a PM(Private Message).

Best Regards,
Tom

Quick Reply: Suspension mod : Dynamic Suspension Control