LOL - Thanks for the laughs: "My brakes squeak..."

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the laugh! Great post.

Originally Posted by BeakerGT3
A note of thanks for the unintended commiseration.

I bought my .8 GT3 last week used and it was clear the last owner changed the pads but not the rotors which didn't help much in the noise department thanks to the fact that the rotors were now beveled something fierce.

I dropped the car off at my local dealer to do a once-over/major service and change out the brakes. They advised me after I picked it up that "GT3 brakes are noisier than most, so they're going to squeak."

"Squeak," they said.

In German, I assume there is a 27 letter word that approximates the cacophony of shrieking valkyeries that have taken up residence in my wheel wells, but holy crap, going from a well behaved Cayman S with no squeaks to something that sounds like someone hitting Frankie Valli in the nuts with a sledgehammer on gentle braking was an eye-opener.

So of course I searched the forum and discovered that this is, indeed, a "feature."

I LOL'd at the desperate pleas for help which were answered with "suck it up, Francis...it's a race car." I've bedded in the brakes and it helps for a while, but I guess if I am going to DD the car, I will just embrace the grind.

So I have.

I have also taken to rolling down my window and shouting at people who stare indignantly at the ear-piercing wail: "Sorry. Race pads. Could be worse, it could be a Harley with straight pipes..." and then mash the gas.

Thanks for the laughs and unwitting understanding you have shared with me

/Hoff
Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the track and get the brakes nice and hot. That cures the squeal for a while. When it returns, schedule more track time. BTW, do you know if you have the stock yellow street pads or Pagid RS29s, which are also yellow?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't stop laughing Hoff. You need to post more often, you have a fresh approach to Porsche technical remedies.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:24 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks got the laugh!

My Pagids were LOUD, but he PFC08s are great on street and track.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
My Pagids were LOUD, but he PFC08s are great on street and track.
Agreed. I run PFC08 for the track and street, and they are almost completely noise-free on the street. Just an occasional squeak. On the track they do shriek a bit when they get really hot, but that's OK.

But if your car is a street-only car, why not just put on stock pads? They are quiet on the street, although not optimal for the track.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 AM
kumar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I gave in and finally put street pads on the car for driving around town.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 AM
kumar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
But if your car is a street-only car, why not just put on stock pads? They are quiet on the street, although not optimal for the track.
My stock pads are very noisy on the street and never had a problem with them doing HPDEs. The dust was probably a bigger deal for me than the noise.

Quick Reply: LOL - Thanks for the laughs: "My brakes squeak..."