Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Low Temp Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Temp Thermostat?

I have my motor out and know of talk of replacing thermostats with low temperature units to turn on sooner for faster cooling.

Please can someone tell me the exact part numbers i need and all the pars necessary?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You shouldn't do this. The GT3 has no cooling issues and you should leave the thermostat stock.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I asked my shop about this and their response was exactly what serge suggested. Use Oem.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 PM
betonred
Banned

i did ask around and the shops were telling me anything low temp would not be an oem porsche part.

i am replacing my 3.8 motor and the advised to switch to a new t-stat.

thanks for the responses!

if anyone has a center radiator pls let me know.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Ok so this is or is not It a gt motor?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
You shouldn't do this. The GT3 has no cooling issues and you should leave the thermostat stock.
Originally Posted by Spyerx
I asked my shop about this and their response was exactly what serge suggested. Use Oem.
Interesting to know, thank you. I had two respected race shops say that they recommend going to the lower temp Cup thermostat.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Yeah shop didn't even mention as an option. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt (didn't realize it was lower temp for cup,part) That said I've no cooling issues, and ran hard in 105 shade temp and never got oil above 245 or so.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

road/oem stat is set for emissions and varied climates plus so HVAC works correctly for screen clearing etc in damp conditions etc.

Cup stat for racing/Hp. Your choice but it does work especially in hot climbs. Normally only ~7 degrees different.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Yeah shop didn't even mention as an option. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt (didn't realize it was lower temp for cup,part) That said I've no cooling issues, and ran hard in 105 shade temp and never got oil above 245 or so.
Thanks; good to know. I am new to the GT3, what is the average hot oil temp on track? From the analog gauge it seemed I saw about 210 with a max of about 230 in relatively mild ambient temps of about 75.

Originally Posted by Ur20v
road/oem stat is set for emissions and varied climates plus so HVAC works correctly for screen clearing etc in damp conditions etc.

Cup stat for racing/Hp. Your choice but it does work especially in hot climbs. Normally only ~7 degrees different.
About seven degrees different in water temp or resulting oil temp? My water temp rarely varies from 175 max while the oil temp increases above that. I am thinking the initial benefit is that the coolant t-stat opens sooner and then maintains a lower water temp, nominally 168F based on the 7 degrees you cited. As a result, does it also reduce oil temp by any appreciable amount? That would seem to be the ultimate objective. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Thanks; good to know. I am new to the GT3, what is the average hot oil temp on track? From the analog gauge it seemed I saw about 210 with a max of about 230 in relatively mild ambient temps of about 75.

About seven degrees different in water temp or resulting oil temp? My water temp rarely varies from 175 max while the oil temp increases above that. I am thinking the initial benefit is that the coolant t-stat opens sooner and then maintains a lower water temp, nominally 168F based on the 7 degrees you cited. As a result, does it also reduce oil temp by any appreciable amount? That would seem to be the ultimate objective. Thank you.
I might be wrong here but a thermostat should assist an engine is getting up to its desired operating temperature. How will a thermostat control the absolute maximum temps? I would have thought that's what radiators, airflow and aux fans would do.

FYI I track my car in the UAE where ambient temps approach 40. Water temp is stuck at half, with oil going up to 120. Oil and water temps have never been a concern. The only time my car over heats is when I'm stuck in traffic in summer.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liquid911
I might be wrong here but a thermostat should assist an engine is getting up to its desired operating temperature. How will a thermostat control the absolute maximum temps? I would have thought that's what radiators, airflow and aux fans would do.

FYI I track my car in the UAE where ambient temps approach 40. Water temp is stuck at half, with oil going up to 120. Oil and water temps have never been a concern. The only time my car over heats is when I'm stuck in traffic in summer.
I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night... You're right, over a modest range the t-stat only determines when the coolant is released to the radiators and allows the rest of the cooling system controls to work. The effectiveness of the coolant system seems impressive, as my water temp has not gone above the half gauge reading of 175 (yet) - even though the oil temps continue to rise.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedRSA
I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night... You're right, over a modest range the t-stat only determines when the coolant is released to the radiators and allows the rest of the cooling system controls to work. The effectiveness of the coolant system seems impressive, as my water temp has not gone above the half gauge reading of 175 (yet) - even though the oil temps continue to rise.
My water temp per can bus will get up to 210 if I recall, but gauge shows 175. Oil meter is right on to can bus reading. My oil temps on normal temp track day are 210-225, water 190 or so. Really hot day at end of run was oil 235 water 210.

Anyway, listen to the UAE guy as our 105 desert heat is a mild fall day for them :-)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

My water temp per can bus will get up to 210 if I recall, but gauge shows 175. Oil meter is right on to can bus reading. My oil temps on normal temp track day are 210-225, water 190 or so. Really hot day at end of run was oil 235 water 210.

Anyway, listen to the UAE guy as our 105 desert heat is a mild fall day for them :-)
Very informative to know that can bus data, thank you. So apparently our gauges are hard-limited at 175; no wonder it never moves above that. Glad to know that the oil temp is accurate.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nonsense, that's a mid winter cold front!

Forgot to add the bit about the water gauge not being accurate. You're correct, water temps do fluctuate on track, but not wide enough for the gauge to move. Quite a few GT3's are tracked regularly here, never heard of any overheating so cooling really not high up on the list of concerns.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:15 AM
betonred
Banned

Sorry I was posing in the gt section as this crowd is more familiar with the mods I have and intend to do. I have an 05 c2s

The oil temps are what I was concerned about, I was reaching 250

About to install a gt3 center rad as I have a gt3 front end - should help with cooling

Quick Reply: Low Temp Thermostat?