Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
A question regarding your comment, "The brakes are amazing, easily surpass Porsche ceramic brakes, bar none, by an order or 10 of magnitude." Since an "order of magnitude" is already a factor of 10, the "or 10" part must be hyperbole as surely you don't mean the brakes on the Z28 are 100 times better? Anyway, I'm curious as to how the Z28's brakes are 10 times better than PCCB's on a Porsche. Do they stop 10 times shorter? Are they 10 times easier to modulate? Have 10 times less fade? Show 10 times less wear? Respectfully, I'm sure you're understandably enthusiastic about the new car, but when comments seem so over the top it's hard not to take them all with a grain of salt. Still, it's "great" that you find everything about the car so...well...."great". Enjoy it safely.

I think If you driven hard/track porsche on ceramics you would understand that statement. I know your 991 gt3 has ceramics but it has been sitting for months - plus you never got a chance to drive the car "hard".
Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I think If you driven hard/track porsche on ceramics you would understand that statement. I know your 991 gt3 has ceramics but it has been sitting for months - plus you never got a chance to drive the car "hard".
I don't question having subjective opinions, but I was genuinely interested in the specifics of what makes the PCCB's so much better on the Z28 than on the Porsche. Being better is one thing, but being THAT much better seemed over the top to me. When I've shown too much enthusiasm in the past, I've been accused of "drinking the Porsche Kool-Aid". Do they make Kool-Aid in a Z28 flavor?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I've always made my car choices by what grabs in the gut and the Z/28 grabs and the Vette does not. There will always be a faster car and it not the race to be the fastest that interests me, it's in value offer for the intended purpose
===> nice. cars i bought with brain ususally leaves the garage in a few months. if i used my butt, they stay longer ;-0
Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Do they make Kool-Aid in a Z28 flavor?
I think it's called Budweiser.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^who made u peacemaker? What credentials u have since this is a public forum? Mike
Wow. I hope I never look like this in a public forum and if I do develop issues that my doctors would manage my symptoms better than what we have at display here.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I think it's called Budweiser.
^^ LOL.

You guys have all the cool video's when you spin, I'm on fire half a lap and no one even has a damn picture!?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only question is

Will it be cheaper to replace those CCB rotors with GM then compare to PCCB rotors with Porsche?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pete, What is your opinion on the weight of the car/how does it feel, manageable?

Car sounds great, good luck!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

The ceramic rotors from the C6 Z06/ZR1 were about $1,200-1,300 each (street price. I think the list price is about $1,700?) So if the Z28 uses similar rotors, I'd guess it will be cheaper.

Originally Posted by Kinesis 996
My only question is

Will it be cheaper to replace those CCB rotors with GM then compare to PCCB rotors with Porsche?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:28 PM
werks
Advanced

savyboy it was a pleasure meeting you last weekend at T-hill and checking out your car!

In regads to the Z28 and it's handeling/performance I was fortunate enough to go out for a session in the silver one after having spent most of saturday instructing a student in a Camaro SS. So I got a bit of back to back comparison between the two models and I track a fairly modified Z06 w/ CCM's also so I was in and out of that saturday and sunday too.

After a session in the car I have to say that the Z28 imho as it comes out of the box to me represents one of the best bang for the buck track oriented cars that you can buy. When you are in it you can tell that the engineers at GM spent a lot of time working on what matters, how the car performs. The car seems to generate enormous amounts of grip and the suspension is dialed. The chassis did not seem to get upset running over curbs or when loaded and making abrupt steering, brake or throttle inputs (as newer drivers are prone to do). It's realy a quite striking car to look at and what is funny is that when you walk around the car just are stuck by it's size and frankly the first thing that came to mind was that this thing is going to be a pig on the track. The SS pushed like a dog and you had to use agressive braking to plant the front prior to turn in. The Z28 was ballance and just seemed to go where the wheel was pointed.

The engine, well if you've driven a Z06 with the LS7 then you know it has a lot of torque so you can pretty much drive all of Thunderhill in 3rd with 2x shifts to 4th (on the back and front straight). The brakes, those impressed me! Again it's a big car, so you kind of have this preconceived notion that it's going to have a lot of mass and not want to slow down. Well, the thing stops and stops quick. The CCM's on the car work phenominally well slowing the car down easily from tripple digit speeds on the straight. First lap out based on my time in the Camaro SS the day before I thought initialy that we were going to run off the track going into 1, the brake easily hauled the car down from speed and kept on doing it all sesion long without fading or anything else. Newer drivers have a tendency late brake and over slow the car before corners as they are not used to carrying a lot of corner speed, so I think that they tend to be harder on brakes at times than more experienced drivers. Either way though, they just kept on slowing the car down at a tremendous pace.

All in all I think that the impression that I was left with is that while it looks like a large, heavy car it actually handles/performs like a much smaller, lighter car. If there ever was an example of looks can be deceiving, driving in a Z28 will have you scratching your head when you get out wondering how the car works so well. Combine the performance with a warranty and the fact that the entire car is 100% bone stock and all that you had to do was put gas in the thing, is quite frankly amazing imho. I started out skeptical, and left convinced. For anyone that wants to just walk into the dealer, buy a car, head to the track and have a blast without having to deal with the hastle of re-building a car from option parts, spending months in the shop, dealing with a potentialy voided warranty and the tens of thousands of extra dollars that building your typical track oriented car costs this thing is steal. Plus if anything ever breaks on it, you blow a clutch, blow an engine or what not just drop the thing off at the dealer and it's taken care of under warranty lol!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
werks
Advanced

Originally Posted by cfjan
The ceramic rotors from the C6 Z06/ZR1 were about $1,200-1,300 each (street price. I think the list price is about $1,700?) So if the Z28 uses similar rotors, I'd guess it will be cheaper.
Correct fronts are $1100, rears are $1300 and I got a season (25-30 track days) out of my fronts last year on my Z06 and I'm still running the same rears now with about an additional 12 days on it (so between 37-42 track day). OEM pads on our Z06/Zr1 are about $650 a set and those last about 5 days for the fronts and 7 days for the rears (Z28 uses the same pad, wear sensor wires are longer though but those can be re-used). For our cars if you run the numbers CCM brakes are actually quite cheap for track use.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM
speedoflight
Racer

sounds great. did you run the 3mile config over the top? curious as to lap times you did on the z28.

Originally Posted by werks
savyboy it was a pleasure meeting you last weekend at T-hill and checking out your car!

In regads to the Z28 and it's handeling/performance I was fortunate enough to go out for a session in the silver one after having spent most of saturday instructing a student in a Camaro SS. So I got a bit of back to back comparison between the two models and I track a fairly modified Z06 w/ CCM's also so I was in and out of that saturday and sunday too.

After a session in the car I have to say that the Z28 imho as it comes out of the box to me represents one of the best bang for the buck track oriented cars that you can buy. When you are in it you can tell that the engineers at GM spent a lot of time working on what matters, how the car performs. The car seems to generate enormous amounts of grip and the suspension is dialed. The chassis did not seem to get upset running over curbs or when loaded and making abrupt steering, brake or throttle inputs (as newer drivers are prone to do). It's realy a quite striking car to look at and what is funny is that when you walk around the car just are stuck by it's size and frankly the first thing that came to mind was that this thing is going to be a pig on the track. The SS pushed like a dog and you had to use agressive braking to plant the front prior to turn in. The Z28 was ballance and just seemed to go where the wheel was pointed.

The engine, well if you've driven a Z06 with the LS7 then you know it has a lot of torque so you can pretty much drive all of Thunderhill in 3rd with 2x shifts to 4th (on the back and front straight). The brakes, those impressed me! Again it's a big car, so you kind of have this preconceived notion that it's going to have a lot of mass and not want to slow down. Well, the thing stops and stops quick. The CCM's on the car work phenominally well slowing the car down easily from tripple digit speeds on the straight. First lap out based on my time in the Camaro SS the day before I thought initialy that we were going to run off the track going into 1, the brake easily hauled the car down from speed and kept on doing it all sesion long without fading or anything else. Newer drivers have a tendency late brake and over slow the car before corners as they are not used to carrying a lot of corner speed, so I think that they tend to be harder on brakes at times than more experienced drivers. Either way though, they just kept on slowing the car down at a tremendous pace.

All in all I think that the impression that I was left with is that while it looks like a large, heavy car it actually handles/performs like a much smaller, lighter car. If there ever was an example of looks can be deceiving, driving in a Z28 will have you scratching your head when you get out wondering how the car works so well. Combine the performance with a warranty and the fact that the entire car is 100% bone stock and all that you had to do was put gas in the thing, is quite frankly amazing imho. I started out skeptical, and left convinced. For anyone that wants to just walk into the dealer, buy a car, head to the track and have a blast without having to deal with the hastle of re-building a car from option parts, spending months in the shop, dealing with a potentialy voided warranty and the tens of thousands of extra dollars that building your typical track oriented car costs this thing is steal. Plus if anything ever breaks on it, you blow a clutch, blow an engine or what not just drop the thing off at the dealer and it's taken care of under warranty lol!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Pete:

Thanks for the writeup and participation in the thread. Very exciting stuff.

On the brake front, any idea yet what the rotor replacement cost will be? Have to figure it will be significantly lower than Porsche and likely closer to Porsche iron
Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Love this thread. Thanks so much for the report.

I am looking for a track car and this thread has me thinking.

Does anyone know what the availability is for these cars? Are they making as many as they can sell or is this some sort of limited run thing?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I've always made my car choices by what grabs in the gut and the Z/28 grabs and the Vette does not. There will always be a faster car and it not the race to be the fastest that interests me, it's in value offer for the intended purpose
===> nice. cars i bought with brain ususally leaves the garage in a few months. if i used my butt, they stay longer ;-0
Well said sir, well said...

The current z28 has that same effect as the first '69 Sunoco Camaro I saw at Laguna

Quick Reply: The Z/28 Thread You've All Been Waiting For/Dreading