Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Changed oil found a chewed up green oring in the oil filter..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by runet
Yes I know, but can it be the rear main seal?

This might not be the correct part number, but anyway:
Looking a the original pictures, it is not a circular gasket, it is irregularly shaped.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to someone I respect and would know.
He said it looked like the remains of a Oil Pump seal. He told me there are two on the pressure side and one on the scavenge side. I asked if the engine could make pressure if one was missing from the pressure and he thought no, but that he had never tried to run without. But the Oil Pump would still make pressure if the one from the scavenge side was missing. He thought it would still return some of the oil to the tank but have a leak back into the bottom of the engine as well.
His opinion was not to keep runing the engine unless it was determined exactly where it came from. He told me to suggest pulling the pipe from the Oil pump scavenge outlet and pressurize the pump with air with the Oil drain plug out. It may show if the seal is missing. He said running the engine at long lengths of time may increase the chances of limiting the amount of oil returned to the tank and starving the engine of oil.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to add some very important info I was told from where the O ring material could come from. It can only be in the filter if it's from between the pump and the Oil Tank, which is why I was told it was probably the Oil pump seal. It would have been sucked into the pressure side and trapped in the filter. To get there it would have had to go through the pressure side, get chewed up and into the tank. From the tank through the inlet of the engine and into the filter housing. Not all of the oil goes directly through the filter I'm told. So you could have some parts of this seal trapped in an oil galley.

So it could be either one of the pressure seals, if the engine could still over come the leak and make pressure or the scavenge seal.

If it was from other parts of the engine it would have to pass through the pick up screens and the parts appear too big to pass through the screen. Where ever it is from, it is suggested to stop running the engine until its found from where it came from. Serious engine failure could or may have occurred.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:38 AM
JayAre
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstaus
I have a similar problem on a 1999 Carrera 2 with X51. Just noticed that the oil filter has quite some green parcels in it. They are much smaller than the ones in this thread but seem to be from same green material. The car also has an annoying oil leak between the gearbox and the engine. IMS was upgraded and has been driven 2 years/21.000 km. I have no history before the IMS change.

I changed oil in March this year and there were just a few small green parcels. Now after some 13.000 km there is much more green stuff. The picture is from the last oil change now in November.

Any more ideas where this stuff is coming from?

996 C2 X51 Oil Filter
Did you find out any more info on this? I changed my oil today and found the same particles in my filter.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I tend to err on the cautionary side. These look a lot like the oil pump gaskets - square shouldered, and green. Depends on which gasket is bad - the intake may not be that bad, pressure is likely to still be high, volume might be down, the output side would likely just leak internally...

I would use this as an opportunity to refresh the motor...

Good Luck

Ray
Old 09-25-2015, 05:45 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

^ That. I'd rebuild without delay.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Gatorlapiz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know what caused this?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Michael Petersen
Cruisin'

Believe this is from the camshaft hydraulic timing advance, i.e the VarioCam. Here is another link on the same topic. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...il-filter.html. Have you noticed stumbling when the engine RPM's increase and the cam timing should be changing? Or a lack of power at higher RPM's?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Michael Petersen
Cruisin'

If it is the VarioCam, it will degrade performance but it will not damage the engine...
Old 03-16-2018, 04:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
For the technical geeks.

Your scavenge pump is filtered. You have debris in your paper filter. For debris to get trapped up top it's gotta be IN the pathway between those two points. What there? Just your scavenge pump and the auxiliary cooling circuit. Had you dropped an o-ring into the oil filler neck it could've sloshed around the main tank but would it have broken into that many pieces by itself...

Attachment 828773
thanks for this diagram / schematic
Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey - might want to look at this thread, where Tom from TPC racing has basically taken apart the entire engine. There's a lot of green plastic rings similar in curvature to yours. - Starts around page 50, which I've linked. None on these parts look like it's a good thing to find.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...07-gt3-50.html

Quick Reply: Changed oil found a chewed up green oring in the oil filter..