Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Changed oil found a chewed up green oring in the oil filter..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Having built a lot of 911 engines, my first thought was the ones pictured for the oil pump seals, they are pretty distinctive in size and color. Very interesting to say the least.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:03 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
Having built a lot of 911 engines, my first thought was the ones pictured for the oil pump seals, they are pretty distinctive in size and color. Very interesting to say the least.
How do those seals ever come loose in a tightly fitted engine where the scavenge pump has nowhere to go?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:59 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

You're correct, once the case halves are sealed there is no way they can come out? Unless one was disturbed and fell out during the sealing of the case, which would've produced an engine failure pretty quickly in my estimation.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Color is right but the bits look too narrow to be oil pump seal.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok...drove the car last night and cruising down the road the oil pressure is on 5.... once the oil temp gets up 200 the oil pressure at idle is 1.5 ..... The car drives great and seems to have no issue....

I talked to the original owner and he said he has always used a porsche filter..so that gets rid of the idea of a aftermarket filter with a green oring to seal the oil filter cup.

I have driven the car pretty much all day and the car shows no signs of a issue....still no CEL, no knocking or rattling do to low oil pressure...the gauge doesn't lie!...lol

I agree that the green oring does look like the orings after the oil pump. seems like if that oring had deteriorated that the variable valve timing would not work and the gauge would show low oil pressure.

All i can assume is when someone was working on the car before... that they dropped a Oring into the oil filter housing or possibly into the oil filter cup while they had it off and didn't see it when reinstalling the oil filter cup.

I will continue to drive the car and keep a eye on the oil pressure....if anything goes wrong then i will be using my Fidelity extended warranty that came with the car and is good til 10/15. Maybe a Sharwerks upgrade!!!

Thanks guys for there help and all the info!!! I will be putting the scan tool on the car during the week and look at the cam timing to make sure everything is working properly.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the molded rubber business. They don't appear to be O-rings, more like a custom molded elliptical seal or possibly a lathe cut but the little, what appears to be a tab, makes me think it's a custom molded seal/gasket. The Victor Reinz GT3 gasket kit shows 6 gaskets that appear similar but the quality of the photo make it difficult to compare with the pieces. If it were me I would park the car until someone with engine building experience identifies the part.

Maybe somebody left the old seals for the covers of the cam gears inside when working on the motor??? That's a guess from a bud who is a pro P-car wrench.

Last edited by chrisc; 04-29-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM
MikejGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEW PHOTOS IN THE 1ST POST
Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mikej,

Wow, that's pretty scary looking. Good that you found it. Like the others, I can't identify those pieces. Are they pliable and soft, or are they hard and brittle? I agree that the color and thickness are reminiscent of the three oil pump seals inside the case, but there are too many odd rectangular chunks, and other twisted fragments for it to be (likely) that they are from the oil pump. Plus, it appears that you have more volume of remnants than would be contained in three seals (though it's really hard to tell). I'd soak them in solvent and weigh them on a very accurate scientific balance scale, and then weigh three new oil pump seals to compare. Perhaps someone has a gasket set that can lend you some new oil pump seals so you can weigh them. If not, PM me and I'll weigh some. As others have noted, though, if for some odd reason those seals got drawn into the pump and were chewed up in the gears, you'd think you'd have a noticeable oil pressure problem, which seems not to be the case.

The other thing you might do is drain the oil again and use a lighted borescope to inspect the engine sump through the oil drain hole (or any other port that will give you a view). I'd want to know if there are pieces in the sump that are being held back by the scavenge pump strainer. And look at the new oil filter to see if any more remnants have shown up. Did you carefully inspect the drained oil to see if any remnants got into the oil that came out of the engine?

The big worry, of course, is that pieces could get into a small oil gallery and cut off flow to something critical like a rod bearing or piston squirter. You might look at the oil inlet side of the engine mounted oil cooler (remove and back flush it) to see if anything got stuck there. But of course, doing so means substantial disassembly of the top of the engine.

I've included photos of two other places where I've found green O-rings. but neither location has o-rings of rectangular cross section, which looks to be what you have. The first photo is from an 04 GT3. The second is from a 2001 GT3 RS. Your green remnants also look something like the seals between the engine and engine oil cooler on earlier 911s, but I can't imagine why anything like that would end up in a GT3.

Good luck with this and we'll all hope that you dodged the bullet.

Rob
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2014, 05:05 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you have figured out where is came from, but I noticed the oil filler cap has a similar green o ring to seal it.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:01 AM
jstaus
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem on a 1999 Carrera 2 with X51. Just noticed that the oil filter has quite some green parcels in it. They are much smaller than the ones in this thread but seem to be from same green material. The car also has an annoying oil leak between the gearbox and the engine. IMS was upgraded and has been driven 2 years/21.000 km. I have no history before the IMS change.

I changed oil in March this year and there were just a few small green parcels. Now after some 13.000 km there is much more green stuff. The picture is from the last oil change now in November.

Any more ideas where this stuff is coming from?

996 C2 X51 Oil Filter
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 PM
ddaudi
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My new to me 2010 997.2 had a few tiny bits of green in the oil filter when I did my first oil change on it. I'm about to do a second oil change. I'd love to know where it came from so hope someone comes up with the answer.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:00 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

RMS?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:50 AM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by runet
RMS?
Rear Main Seal
Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Green bits- from the chain guide/tensioner??

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-26-2014, 02:03 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kon5t
Rear Main Seal
Yes I know, but can it be the rear main seal?

This might not be the correct part number, but anyway:

Quick Reply: Changed oil found a chewed up green oring in the oil filter..