Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

When purchasing a car, how do you factor in track miles into the wear of the GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

if the car that was heavily tracked and spent most of its time in a trailer, then make an offer as such. Im sure it is still a good car.
Since it is dealer inventory they will offer some sort of 30 day warranty.

Ask they dealer if they will CPO if you buy a stock exhaust and suspension.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 04-23-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

u know. brain is limited. one has to trust his gut and butt.
clearly you have reservations on this car. so why are you trying so hard to buy it?
when you see the right car for you, you will know.
cars i buy with due diligence are always the one's i sell.
those i bought bc i "felt" it are the one's that stays... well stay longer than 6 months.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

way to over analyzing a simple car purchase.

I keep a simple log.... to keep track of my expenses/ car maint.. but honestly i'm afraid of doing =sum(D: D)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=file%2c.xlsx

p.s. i have come to the conclusion a gt3 really is not for everyone. it is for the true driver that wants a hardcore experience. no bs.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

Every time I think I'm **** and sick, this board just reinforces that I'm just fine
Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just because a car is not listed for sale doesn't mean its not, if you come across the "right" one and finances are no issue.....make an offer the owner just cant turn down.... not all ,but i think a good deal of people would sell if the offer was something they just couldn't turn down.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mepps
just because a car is not listed for sale doesn't mean its not, if you come across the "right" one and finances are no issue.....make an offer the owner just cant turn down.... not all ,but i think a good deal of people would sell if the offer was something they just couldn't turn down.
smart man.
there is a certain recently published decal delete five lug RS4.0 that's NOT for sale at $400k
Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Every time I think I'm **** and sick, this board just reinforces that I'm just fine
you hang around lars and i, you are very normal.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:16 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

This is how I purchased my GT cars.

They were not for sale and approached the owners and we came to terms on both.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ right, and pjs tells everyday that he's pissed teh blue car is gone ;-)
Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,282 Posts

+1 That's how I bought Violet. But why would an owner who isn't super motivated to sell want to deal with this buyer? Seems like a total pain in the *** because he wants a GT3 RS but doesn't want the noise, rawness, etc. He should buy himself a brand new 991 non-GT3 car and call it a day. I would dread dealing with this type of buyer when it's time to sell Violet.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 04-23-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I was having a nice time at Sebring with my quiver of cars... guy says he wants his car back (my silver RS). I say price. He buys car. He raced car an hour later. Money wired on Monday.

He wanted it more than me. Everything for sale. Everyone happy.

I took him for ride in his new old car on track. Thought his eyes were going to bug out of his head. Showed him how fast it really is. 997.2 GT3 & RS really are track cars. Stupid on street.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
+1 That's how I bought Violet. But why would an owner who isn't super motivated to sell want to deal with this buyer? Seems like a total pain in the *** because he wants a GT3 RS but doesn't want the noise, rawness, etc. He should buy himself a brand new 991 non-GT3 car and call it a day. I would dread dealing with this type of buyer when it's time to sell Violet.
I tried this approach with my RS and basically stalked the owner of the only orange RS in Nashville. I sent him letters, FB messages....nothing. This went on so long that our kids eventually ended up in Kindergarten together, but I never got a good chance to ask him because my wife thought my obsession with tracking down this car had become creepy. So I bought my own and now I make sure to downshift whenever I drive by his house. Not sure if that violates the restraining order or not
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, have you considered GT2, CGT, or better yet, an F1 car?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 PM
2root4u
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good advice here, but bottom line is that if this is the car you want, then buy one. I spent a little over a year looking for mine, but I was willing to consider anything in the country. I'd say figure out your budget, figure out priorities, and open up your search radius.

You can certainly debate with others if this is the right car for you, but it's your money and hopefully you've done your research. Worst case, you sell the car. I would have been told to stay away from the RS as well since I'm not a track rat. But I've never been so fascinated with a car in my life and don't regret picking it up. Between having it in the garage, driving it around town, spirited drives on back roads, and HPDEs, couldn't be happier.

I too was very analytical since this was a major purchase and my first step in the Porsche world. I still have the google sheet where I have aspects scored and every grey RS on the market would be inserted and scored. While track time does put more wear on the vehicle, do realize these cars are meant to take it..and love it. So either pay a little extra for a cream puff or deal with one that has spent time on the track. Either way, you'll get an amazing ride.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:58 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
That's owner dependent. This is not a linear nor causal relationship that the more miles the car has the more over-revs it has. I bought mine as an 8K mile cream puff and have treated it the same and yet have taken it to the track about 1/2 dozen times and have absolutely no over-revs. I don't run it to the rev limiter when on track and consistently shift a few hundred rpm before that. I've got mine up to 14K miles now so how many over-revs "should" I have???
Didn't mean to suggest anything. It's easier to 'imagine' things when you're buying off the dealer lot vs a private seller.

Quick Reply: When purchasing a car, how do you factor in track miles into the wear of the GT3 RS?