Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 Owners chime in

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Closing thoughts on 997 GT2 (from my perspective):

a) It's a 0-205 MPH beast of a Supercar that is reliable and civil enough to be street driven daily yet still a threat on the track
b) It has stunning looks (like every GTx)
c) It has all of the same things going for it that have driven up prices of the other GT cars
d) There were only around 220 brought to the US (far less than 3/3RS and near the same as 4.0 and 2RS), which clearly makes it rare.
e) Easily tunable to 630 HP without much investment or reliability concern.
f) With most other GT's trading above MSRP or at a premium, the 997 GT2 remains a pretty serious bargain for what it is (you can currently buy 2 GT2's at near the same price as a GT2RS).

Like so many of the other 997 GT's, I think folks will look back and say "wow, I can remember when I could buy one of those for $140k with 3000 miles on it". Anyway, just my opinion and others like "collector" may have a better sense of it in term of current/future value but I think it is the sleeper in the group and even considering picking up a second one.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Eiswein
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had a 935 variant and most recently an Andial modified 993TT boosted to 3.8L, I can tell you as others have, they can bite. The problem is not the car as previously mentioned, it's those of us behind the wheel. My best advise is whichever one you get (they're both great) go to your local PCA club and sign up for a DE and practice on the track. You'll learn much more about the car and yourself with a good instructor.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reid55
Closing thoughts on 997 GT2 (from my perspective):

a) It's a 0-205 MPH beast of a Supercar that is reliable and civil enough to be street driven daily yet still a threat on the track
b) It has stunning looks (like every GTx)
c) It has all of the same things going for it that have driven up prices of the other GT cars
d) There were only around 220 brought to the US (far less than 3/3RS and near the same as 4.0 and 2RS), which clearly makes it rare.
e) Easily tunable to 630 HP without much investment or reliability concern.
f) With most other GT's trading above MSRP or at a premium, the 997 GT2 remains a pretty serious bargain for what it is (you can currently buy 2 GT2's at near the same price as a GT2RS).

Like so many of the other 997 GT's, I think folks will look back and say "wow, I can remember when I could buy one of those for $140k with 3000 miles on it". Anyway, just my opinion and others like "collector" may have a better sense of it in term of current/future value but I think it is the sleeper in the group and even considering picking up a second one.
Spot on, even down to the buying a second one at the right price. I bought mine for a song with under 1000 miles on the clock, 3 years old, at the price you mentioned. Best current value to MSRP ratio in the 997 lineup.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM
rsman
Instructor

Couldnt agree more! Prices for 997 GT2s should be way higher and when people wake up to the idea they will get there. The car rocks and properly set up with a skilled driver will handily out perform any GT3 /RS in most circumstances and can easily be made to out perform a GT2RS with a modest investment.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

It's mostly up to chance as to which car I'll end up with considering the limited supply available. However, I currently have placed a deposit down on an '11 GT3 RS. I'm new to Porsche, and it is my first one, so I think you guys definitely far exceed what experience I have driving behind the wheel of one. I race gokarts competitively, but they don't even go 60mph, so it's not the same. I've owned two different 420hp M3's (one coupe, one convertible), so I think the RS will probably be a handful for me. I drove the 560hp M5, and was shocked at how poorly the chassis was adapted to handle the torque. Felt the engine overpowered the chassis and had little confidence in that car. I'm sure that's not the case with the GT2, but given my limited experience, I think 450hp in a 3000lbs car will be a handful for me.

I was speaking to someone who works at Simply Tire in Toronto, seemed extremely knowledgeable as he worked on the GT3 Cup car in previous years, and I believe currently as well. Seemed to know the GT2/3s inside out. He stated that the 2010/2011 GT3 RS has a complete mono ball set up, wheres contrary to what has been stated on this forum by some, the 2008/2009 GT2 is not completely mono ball. In other words, the GT2 I believe has two??? or three???? bushings that were changed to monoball on the RS, they aren't the same suspensions, but rather the RS is an evolution of the GT2's suspension.

I have to admit the GT2 could easily be used a daily driver as it's still supple over broken pavement, whereas the GT3 RS is much more harsh and can get choppy or busy over the same road. GT2 is better for the day to day commute, but I have an M3 already for that, and I enjoy listening to racing engines. It would be neat to have one that redlines at 8400 and the other at 8500. ))

Anyways, I placed a deposit on a GT3 RS. If I back out, I will continue to look at GT2s. They are both amazing amazing cars!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
He stated that the 2010/2011 GT3 RS has a complete mono ball set up, wheres contrary to what has been stated on this forum by some, the 2008/2009 GT2 is not completely mono ball. In other words, the GT2 I believe has two??? or three???? bushings that were changed to monoball on the RS, they aren't the same suspensions, but rather the RS is an evolution of the GT2's suspension.
Is this aimed at my assertion that the 997GT2 Chassis was the template for the 997.2RS chassis ?
I can't remember all the details but (the GT2 introduced) new front axle control points which have a huge effect on high speed stability, things like mono *****, control arms etc are small elements, most of us have put solid links everywhere on our GT2s and the excellent Bilstein PASM set up is a very cost effective upgrade - there are some good threads on here mainly discussing the chassis differnces of the GT2RS compared to GT2/GT3RS - they are subtle.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Hey guys, It's mostly up to chance as to which car I'll end up with considering the limited supply available. However, I currently have placed a deposit down on an '11 GT3 RS. I'm new to Porsche, and it is my first one, so I think you guys definitely far exceed what experience I have driving behind the wheel of one. I race gokarts competitively, but they don't even go 60mph, so it's not the same. I've owned two different 420hp M3's (one coupe, one convertible), so I think the RS will probably be a handful for me. I drove the 560hp M5, and was shocked at how poorly the chassis was adapted to handle the torque. Felt the engine overpowered the chassis and had little confidence in that car. I'm sure that's not the case with the GT2, but given my limited experience, I think 450hp in a 3000lbs car will be a handful for me. I was speaking to someone who works at Simply Tire in Toronto, seemed extremely knowledgeable as he worked on the GT3 Cup car in previous years, and I believe currently as well. Seemed to know the GT2/3s inside out. He stated that the 2010/2011 GT3 RS has a complete mono ball set up, wheres contrary to what has been stated on this forum by some, the 2008/2009 GT2 is not completely mono ball. In other words, the GT2 I believe has two??? or three???? bushings that were changed to monoball on the RS, they aren't the same suspensions, but rather the RS is an evolution of the GT2's suspension. I have to admit the GT2 could easily be used a daily driver as it's still supple over broken pavement, whereas the GT3 RS is much more harsh and can get choppy or busy over the same road. GT2 is better for the day to day commute, but I have an M3 already for that, and I enjoy listening to racing engines. It would be neat to have one that redlines at 8400 and the other at 8500. )) Anyways, I placed a deposit on a GT3 RS. If I back out, I will continue to look at GT2s. They are both amazing amazing cars!!!
oem GT3RS is not complete monoball
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy crap Nick, I couldn't imagine how your car "pulls" , I finally got a little taste of my sharky tune, I bet yours is just crazy, how in the world do you keep the tires from breaking loose?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I love this debate but I always think back to this review on Top Gear when considering a GT2 for track duty:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/911-vs-lambo
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mepps
holy crap Nick, I couldn't imagine how your car "pulls" , I finally got a little taste of my sharky tune, I bet yours is just crazy, how in the world do you keep the tires from breaking loose?
With the Guard GT2 Pro diff it's actually quite benign. Tracks where you point it with a hint of push on throttle, a hint of looseness off throttle, and quite neutral with maintenance throttle. I also drive with stupid high spring rates and 265 tires up front. The OE tires widths are far too biased to the rear, resulting in almost constant push. I'd like to put even more tire up front but am not willing to use racecar sheet metal/plastics- that's where I draw the line.

I drive on MPSS which I find has similar limits as the OE tire but also warns you a lot earlier. OE tires don't give much warning but actually drive better up to said limit- but when they break away they do so with gusto!

Quick Reply: GT2 Owners chime in