Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   GT2 Owners chime in (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/809932-gt2-owners-chime-in.html)

bigmacsmallfries 04-12-2014 11:49 PM

GT2 Owners chime in

Hey guys,

You probably came across my earlier thread trying deciding between the GT3 RS and GT2. I've concluded I'd be happy with either and with the limited selection, not quite sure which of the two I'll end up with.

I've driven both, and both are really really great cars. I know you can't go wrong with either particularly with all the aftermarket parts available to customize the car to suit each one of us exactly, and love that the GT2 can be made to look like the GT2 RS which looks insane in black. :)

I have one serious concern regarding the 997.1 GT2. And it's regarding the torque curve and turbo lag. I can easily see myself coming out of a turn or hitting a bump in the road and the back end coming around on me when the boost is kicking in. I REALLY don't want to crash the car, hurt myself or anyone else.

I was reading this article: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...spyder-review/

If you scroll to the bottom, the reviewer states how the ~900hp 918 doesn't give him any of the anxiety pushing the car hard that the 530hp GT2 does which is a bit concerning. I plan on driving this car on the street 99% of the time. Have you guys had close calls in the GT2 before? Are you guys relatively more careful with the way you drive? Do you guys feel uneasy/anxious about pushing these cars hard? And yes I know you can't drive these cars hard on public roads or get anywhere near their limits, but you know what I mean.

Are there any tunes that help 'tame' the torque curve without increasing the overall torque? Any solutions? Any comments would be greatly appreciated here!

993GT 04-13-2014 02:02 AM

in a GT2, its all about the seats IMO, scary car with the standard sport seats, with proper 996 Euro or '7GT2 folding seats its not that hard to drive right...my '6 GT2 with GIAC tune/EVOMS stg2 and one pooched wastegate actuator was first car I've been frankly scared to put at limit(930's easy comparatively), with Euro seats its way easier, excited to see how new wastegates, injectors and EPL tune make the car drive...suspension comes as the budget does...

Reid55 04-13-2014 08:26 AM

Any car north of 400 lb ft of torque can get you in trouble if you do something stupid and/or push beyond individual driving ability. Traditionally, this has been the case with many 2WD rear-engine 911's. That said, the 997's are very stable. With Nannies on, its pretty tough to mess up. As for the 997 GT2, I drive mine safe but very spirited and I've never had an uncomfortable moment driving it. Turbo lag is almost non-existent but more importantly, the torque curve is very linear and comes on at 2500 RPM. Add, the fantastic brakes and excellent handling and you have one of the best street machines ever made. Totally RESPECTED but not FEARED.

Nick Wong 04-13-2014 09:33 AM

At over 840whp and over 800wtq on the 109 octane map, and over 650whp/700wtq on the 93 octane map, my 3.8l GT2 is stout. Judicious use of throttle is required. I drive with SC turned off all the time now.
But to be honest, any car will get you in trouble if you give it bad input.
Nothing wrong with the GT2, just have to figure it out for yourself.
Writers at mags like Automobile etc. are used to doing features on Camrys and Accords, take that into consideration on their scope of work and who they are writing for.

TurboS 04-13-2014 11:58 PM

Reading is overrated. :)

https://vimeo.com/78227532

:cheers:

rodjac 04-14-2014 12:35 PM

I initially tracked a 996 GT3 and have now tracked a 997 GT2 for the last four years. I don't think the GT2 is any harder or less safe to drive fast. You just have to be careful not to stomp on it if it isn't mostly pointed in a straight line. I don't think there is enough turbo lag to be a problem. It is not like the old days of turbo lag. I agree with the comment on the seats and would add the same for a six-point harness.

bhgt2 04-14-2014 04:55 PM

After owning my GT2 for 3 years, I can't imagine owning a GT3, RS or otherwise. The high-RPM range is great for the track, but on the road it just feels like its accelerating forever - not sure if I'm explaining it properly.

Reid55 04-14-2014 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bhgt2 (Post 11293072)
After owning my GT2 for 3 years, I can't imagine owning a GT3, RS or otherwise. The high-RPM range is great for the track, but on the road it just feels like its accelerating forever - not sure if I'm explaining it properly.

Can't be explained properly, has to be felt. :-)

Igooz 04-14-2014 08:54 PM

6GT2 is a lot trickier to drive fast than the 7GT2. The latter is a lot better planted (stock). Owned both 7 yrs each.

Too much thinking and worrying going on........if you are really concerned get a 7TTS.

stout 04-14-2014 09:19 PM

Fwiw, I felt that the 997.1 GT2 was easier to drive quickly than the 997 GT3 in any form save RS 4.0 because its suspension was considerably better on bumpy roads. Also felt boost onset was never a "scary" problem—but posts here make me think twice about that being true for everyone. From what I've seen and heard over the years, some folks have brains that work with turbocharging being thrown into the mix of variables better than others. That's not to say they're better drivers, or anything else, but they just seem to adapt to it better, or at least find the tradeoff more worthwhile.

Stock for stock, for your use, were I in your shoes and liked the GT2, that's what I'd go with. After the 996 GT2, the 997.1 GT2 is almost benign. They learned a lot between the two, and the only 997 GT2/3 that can match the 997.1 GT2 for damping brilliance (which has a huge effect on driver confidence, safety, and speed) is the RS 4.0. I think the plain GT2 is quite a bit nicer on the street than the GT2 RS, which was "stiffened" but did correct the 997.1 GT2 rear end's tendency to hunt a bit over bumps and rear-steer the car ever so slightly in a straight line (it wasn't a big deal, and I still prefer the non-RS). If you will modify the car, and have GOOD suspension people available to you, I'd probably go GT3 RS.

But you really can't go wrong here so long as you respect the machinery, and your post indicates you will. Just be sure to get some training in an environment where you can afford to make some mistakes. Both are great, great cars...

pete

993GT 04-14-2014 09:52 PM

Hey Pete,
From a suspension/handling point of view, where do you see the biggest change 996 to 997, spring/shock package? Obviously alignment and tire improvements helped too...
Cheers,
Rob

stout 04-15-2014 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 993GT (Post 11293754)
Hey Pete,
From a suspension/handling point of view, where do you see the biggest change 996 to 997, spring/shock package? Obviously alignment and tire improvements helped too...
Cheers,
Rob

Everything. Too hard to single anything out. Starts with the R tires, and the move to 19-inch wheels, but even the pickup points were sub-optimal in the 996 at GT ride height, which is why the 6 GT3 tramlined all over the place on the freeway (loved it anyway). They fixed that in the 997, which helped the race cars, too. From there you move out to track width and so many other optimizations it's hard to point out any one thing. But PASM worked REALLY well in 997.1 GT2. Really, really well.

That said, the 996 GT2 got a lot of negative press when new. The red US press car was out of alignment during our test, and it was panned in a few reviews as unpredictable and tricky. I have to say that car didn't inspire a lot of confidence for me, either. Was early on my learning curve—and a subsequent test with two privately owned 996 GT2s and a PCNA 996 GT3 press car taught me just how sensitive the GT2s and GT3s can be to alignment. Both GT2s were freshly aligned and plain wonderful. They were every bit as usable and predictable as the GT3 so long as you accounted for boost onset and could make it work for you/work with it. I liked the GT3 better, but not by much.

You've got a great car. Just be sure it stays aligned!

pete

993GT 04-15-2014 01:28 AM

Thanks for the review Pete!

Considering the idea of 'updating' mine to Cup or 997.2 uprights at somepoint in the future to see what they improve on. Good point on track width, about an extra inch front and rear. I bet rear tire height also plays a strong benefit.
I agree alignment seems to the key as well, IIRC, the delivery alignments were basically inverse to what the 'proper' alignment specs should be.

Thanks again Pete.
Regards,
Rob

P.S. As much as I love GT3's, anyone considering a GT2 should go for a test drive on a summer night on some open roads; love is the word. :bowdown:

P_collector 04-15-2014 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 11293689)

Stock for stock, for your use, were I in your shoes and liked the GT2, that's what I'd go with. After the 996 GT2, the 997.1 GT2 is almost benign. They learned a lot between the two, and the only 997 GT2/3 that can match the 997.1 GT2 for damping brilliance (which has a huge effect on driver confidence, safety, and speed) is the RS 4.0. I think the plain GT2 is quite a bit nicer on the street than the GT2 RS, which was "stiffened" but did correct the 997.1 GT2 rear end's tendency to hunt a bit over bumps and rear-steer the car ever so slightly in a straight line (it wasn't a big deal, and I still prefer the non-RS). If you will modify the car, and have GOOD suspension people available to you, I'd probably go GT3 RS.

But you really can't go wrong here so long as you respect the machinery, and your post indicates you will. Just be sure to get some training in an environment where you can afford to make some mistakes. Both are great, great cars...

pete

Voila..fully agree. But we discussed this subject GT2 vs GT3 already many times here. I personally have the feeling (and having talked to a few owners) that many of us here havent driven both - GT3 and GT2. I fully agree with you - probably the only GT3 that can compete with the GT2 is the 4.0RS. Also your comment on GT2 vs GT2RS rear end is spot on. I just remember when I had my 3.6 997 GT3 and then drove for the first time a 997 GT2 : huge difference in power - braking, steering etc is almost the same..

TB993tt 04-15-2014 06:12 AM

For autobahn driving the 997 GT2 is simply unmatched, the long gearing and unending turbo torque make it the fastest and the chassis setup makes it totally stable. Stout well describes the PASM, on this car they really got it right, this together with the rest of the chassis (which was then used for the 997.2 GT3RS) and great aero at speed with real down force 20kg front and 60kg rear at 180mph (standard spoilers)

Little autobahn clip below, this is above 100mph all of the time, forward to 2:08 to get a reference for the speed just before camera shuts off to see how slow 142mph can look.

For daily driving at speed limited country speeds the 997GT2 is still a real thrill, great steering feel, can put all the torque down in the dry with no drama and of course those nannies which are superbly executed and one will just notice them flashing on the dash every now and again. - the 997GT2 is the best 911 Porsche have made IMO :thumbup: