Considering a GT3 - have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM
mikesufka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a GT3 - have questions

Gentleman -

This is my first time posting and would like to hear a few opinions from you guys.

As the title says, I'm seriously considering a GT3. Several years ago, I owned a Viper RT/10. I loved the sledge hammer performance, but I didn't like the "top on or off" concept. It addition, it wasn't that comfortable to drive the 90 miles or so to my cabin. Hence, it was sold.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking of another sports car. Requirements are a fun and fast car that I can drive back and forth to the lake in the summer. Roads are either back country roads or a four lane highway. Distance of 90 miles each way. I do not want a convertible. I may do a track day once or twice a year at Brainerd international Raceway. No experience with that however.

I've got a list of cars that I'm thinking about: GT3 (997.1 vs 997.2), 997 Turbo, Z06, NSX, Viper, Ferrari 360

In any case, I keep coming back to a 997 GT3. Anything I should know about these cars? Can anyone compare the 997.1 to the 997.2, besides the obvious HP difference? Are they reliable? Fast? Comfortable? Fun?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

MDS

Last edited by mikesufka; 04-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the 997.1 GT3 and 997.1 turbo are excellent cars.
Well cared for examples have nothing to really worry about other than tires and brakes.

Z06 is great bang for the buck, NSX is a little dated for my tastes, Viper is a short distance car at best and the 360 ferrari can be more costly at service intervals. (The 430 ferrari is easier to service)

The GT3 is fast enough, but the turbo is faster and easier to live with on the street. Turbo is quieter and has more useable torque in low rpm.

Most of use here choose the gt3 because it is simple and a screamer. Closest thing you can get to a cup car on the street and lots of fun on the track.

I have driven across north america 3 times in a GT3. Would do it again anytime as it was comfortable and most of all, stimulating.
I have driven 1000 miles in a Viper and it is not the dream, especially compared to the porsche.

The 911 experience is the best IMHO. The size of the car and view from the windshield is my favorite. Steering feel is awesome.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Highway car? Turbo, hands down. Backwoods roads? NSX or Z06. I don't have use for GT3 or 360, both leave me wanting more in one way or another.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:42 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

I think Your selection of candidate cars is so wildly different, that perhaps You should first pause for a second and try to narrow down your choices by thinking a bit deeper and honestly, asking yourself what are the attributes that You really consider important in a sports car.

For example, while a 911 turbo can be the faster car (in a straight line) compared to a GT3 of the same era, it can also feel numb and not as exciting in comparison to a GT3 when properly driven outside the spectrum of a long straight and wide road. A Z06 is a price / performance bargain, but will never deliver the feel of a sports car whose every part and component has been carefully engineered for performance. Being 20 years old, the NSX is really more of a collectible car these days; its fabulously well-balanced chassis making up for the lack of sheer power it produces in comparison to other candidates in Your list. The 360 Ferrari some people say is one of the 1st "modern" Ferraris, capable of providing that unique feeling of driving a car worthy of that marquee, but also a car which requires extra efforts, care, and downright costs in the maintenance dept.

Out of the list, the 911 choices are without question the most enabled all-round performers. Personally, I stopped looking at other sports cars (including other fine Porsches I've owned) after acquiring my 997.2 GT3. This car embodies and completely fulfils every single aspect of what (to me) defines a proper sports car. I need to be completely awake and have all my senses ready to go, every time I get behind the wheel of the GT3, and this alone, is a priceless attribute to me, since the rewards for such effort are always outstanding.

Last edited by sixtosune; 04-11-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the risk of hijacking a thread - and full disclosure I've not done my homework yet on the GT3 - I think I'm leaning toward the GT3 as opposed to the turbo. With that in mind, if i'm doing my due diligence, what do I need to watch out for? I'm thinking 997 rather than 991. Is a DME report particiularly helpful to determine whether an engine has been abused while racing, for example?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP you could benefit from going to a local Porsche club track event and maybe get a ride with an instructor in a GT3. The 997.2 is more street friendly than 997.1 but the .1 better for the budget and 5 lug wheels. A turbo is superior in some ways as mentioned above but not as visceral as the GT3.
A a good PPI by an experienced shop will help you find your special car.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Mike,

First off welcome.

For what you're describing, 997.1 Turbo all the way. Fast, fun and sofa king comfortable.

My second choice would be ZO6 for the same reasons as above except nowhere near the same driving experience. Best bang for the buck if you can live with (which based on the fact you owned a Viper tells me you can) the less than stellar interior build and materials quality.

My sentimental favorite would be the NSX. It was the first everyday "exotic" sports-car. Low cost maintenance, light weight, comfortable and ultra reliable. And the fact that you're even considering it speaks volumes of how Honda got it right. It is however low on power and can always use better brakes and brake cooling. Both can be easily remedied and you simply can't beat the driving characteristics/performance of a perfectly balanced mid engine car.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade my RS for anything you listed. It's the ultimate driving experience. Less compromise than the others but after all it's still a street car and therefore there is compromise none the less. I've taken many individuals that own some of the best cars money can buy, for a ride and more often than not, they say, I want my car to feel like that! Visceral, raw, communicative; you must be one with the car in order to drive it fast and enjoy it.

Forget the lure of driving those beautiful red cars, in particular the 360. It won't be as fast as the Porsches and will cost exponentially more to maintain. However, and there's just no getting around this,if you're in love with what comes out of Maranello, then you're like a moth to a flame. Almost impossible to walk away from.

Again, based on your criteria and intended use, I would undoubtedly go with a 997.1 Turbo, it is the complete package.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
at the risk of hijacking a thread - and full disclosure I've not done my homework yet on the GT3 - I think I'm leaning toward the GT3 as opposed to the turbo. With that in mind, if i'm doing my due diligence, what do I need to watch out for? I'm thinking 997 rather than 991. Is a DME report particiularly helpful to determine whether an engine has been abused while racing, for example?
All comes down to your price point/budget.
In regards to what to look for, DME is a good place to start.
Service records are nice.

PPI will tell a lot on the car you are serious about.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:31 PM
mikesufka
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm going to try and make it to the Porsche track day at Brainerd International Raceway in a few weeks.

Someone said my list of cars were so "wildly different" - not sure I agree - they are all $40,000 - $80,000, have ~ 400 HP (except the NSX), and are meant for thrills.

My only complaint of the Turbo is the low redline. I've heard from owners that the GT3's just scream!!!

Anyway, thanks again. The hunt and education continues.

MDS
Old 04-11-2014, 02:44 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

Of the cars you've listed, GT3 all the way. If you can stretch your budet a bit, 997.2 GT3 would be my choice.
GT3 prices have been going up quite a bit in the last 12 months...while Turbo's have adopted a more typical depreciation curve. You decide what makes sense...but I think that there are good reasons for the values to have trended the way that it did.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikesufka
Someone said my list of cars were so "wildly different" - not sure I agree - they are all $40,000 - $80,000, have ~ 400 HP (except the NSX), and are meant for thrills.
Hmm, that's sort of like saying Angela Merkel and Claudia Schiffer are similar since they're both German, women, and between 40 and 80...

Anyhow, looks like Your mind is gravitating towards either the GT3 or Turbo. Either choice is excellent, but You should really see if You can try a ride on each; as they are really 2 very different animals.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
With that in mind, if i'm doing my due diligence, what do I need to watch out for? I'm thinking 997 rather than 991. Is a DME report particiularly helpful to determine whether an engine has been abused while racing, for example?
In any Porsche, if you can get a DME report (comes with the PPI inspection) is a good thing. It shows if there are any over revs.

This doesn't particularly means if the engine has been abused or not as the maintenance intervals should be much more frequent when you're doing any kind of racing.

The Mezger based engine is really solid (all GTx models on the 997 and 997.1 Turbo). You should not encounter any problems if the car was maintained and no big over-revs.

RMS leak is one problem, the coolant fittings are another. Also the LSD doesn't hold up to harsh DE driving or racing.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:16 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

OP, the 997 GT3 is very comfortable for any back road or highway driving. Don't expect the Turbo or Z06 type of torque though.

The steering is really nicely weighed, the suspension is firm yet supple. The power delivery is really linear. The chassis is superb. It's just a delight. And the car is really reliable.

I honestly haven't driven any of the cars that you mentioned but I was in love with the GT3 since day one, so there was no competition for me
Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

He's not just asking, in our opinion, which is the best car.

Which is the best car, considering his experience, intended use and the list he's given us.

This is a GT3 forum, how many of us are going to be unbiased regarding the best car off of his list. Of course the GT3/RS are great, however how does it stack up against the others mentioned, based on his intended use and experience.

For you Mike, I would still gravitate towards the Turbo.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from 997.1 Turbo to 997.2 GT3 Clubsport. Best move ever!

GT3 is more special, awesome sound, better track car, less bits that can brake and I find it more comfortable than the turbo with adaptive sports seats. Those GT3 bucket seats are really good.

Quick Reply: Considering a GT3 - have questions