Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS repair denied under CPO because... of a modified exhaust not on the car anymore

Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 PM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

If porsche took the money to cover the car with a CPO warranty, they can't blame an exhaust if the car passed their very own CPO criteria.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:43 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

Total BS, but I do agree it is best to return to stock within reason prior to dealer visits for warranty work. My dealership knew my car very well, knew I tracked it etc. They worked on RMS leak twice, with no issue, but I put stock exhaust on prior to taking it in. Car still had roll bar, harness, no passenger seat, aftermarket wheels with R6....but no modified exhaust.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO if you bought the car which included a CPO then they have to honor it.
The denial is a pile of crap!
Bonne chance
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

total crap. when DFI came out their was a big stink about build up and exhausts... but i actually got a letter from porsche saying they would honor claims w/ exhaust as long as the cats were not touched/altered... (so no headers, no cats)...

it's my understanding that after the cats is ok.. which would mean center pipe ok.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Have an issue with Porsche ? It's ALWAYS the customers fault

RMS leak ? Aftermarket exhaust or didn't drive the car enough
Centerlock failure ? Improper torque by owner or indie
Exploding clutch ? Must be track abuse
Rotors & pads gone on your VW, err Porsche SUV after 25k miles ? Because "High Performance" brakes

You would think they would learn after the M96 IMS debacle, but the on-going 991 GT3 issue proves they still haven't learned.

I've spent over $1M on Porsche's, don't think there will be another one in my future

Bill
I spent thousands recently at Jim Ellis for fairly trivial work (charged me 16 hours of labor because their alleged "master technician" needed two days to figure something out). They returned the car but created 2 new problems while they had it! (Belt tensioner, neglected to plug in the bulbs behind the dash, so no dashboard at night!). They told me to bring it back in a week (!) and they'd fix it.

Unbelievable. I contacted PCNA - which helped a little bit - but I will never, ever, EVER give Jim Ellis my business again.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I spent thousands recently at Jim Ellis for fairly trivial work (charged me 16 hours of labor because their alleged "master technician" needed two days to figure something out). They returned the car but created 2 new problems while they had it! (Belt tensioner, neglected to plug in the bulbs behind the dash, so no dashboard at night!). They told me to bring it back in a week (!) and they'd fix it.

Unbelievable. I contacted PCNA - which helped a little bit - but I will never, ever, EVER give Jim Ellis my business again.
I thought your buddy was a Tech there ??
Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Took my GT3RS in the Quebec City dealer for a RMS repair under CPO warranty. They asked Porsche for authorization and Porsche told them: You can't repair this under CPO because the car used to have a modified exhaust (RSS X-pipe, but back to stock from the dealer before I bought it) and that is the cause of the leak. It should've been repaired before being CPO'd. Car was bought at Pfaff in Toronto and CPO'd by them, then sold to my dealer who sold it to me. Does this make any sense to you? Seems to me they are just trying every BS excuse to avoid paying that repair. Right now I'm having both dealers try to work it out.
inrev read this, if you can find the Canadian equivalent of this your issue should be taken care of. http://gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=352
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The exhaust was returned to stock BEFORE I bought the car. However Porsche records show there was a modified exhaust at some point and that's where the issue comes from. So far no response from Pfaff who CPO'd the car.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

UPDATE: dealerships are talking together and with Porsche Canada. Still no idea of the outcome.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Curiosity question, if it wasn't CPO(Porsche) but a 3rd party warranty, is there a better likelihood of it being fixed without issue?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Brent95M3
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a CPO car that unbeknownst to me had previously had GIAC software, champion intercoolers, and an aftermarket exhaust. This was undisclosed at the time of purchase. If Porsche is certifying cars that used to have mods, I'm mystified that they can then try to deny warranty coverage as a result of the mods.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

CPO is total BS in my opinion and not just limited to Porsche. I bought a BMW M3 CPO years ago and the car felt like it braked like an SUV. Immediately brought it back and insisted I could be there to watch the inspection so no BS. The car had, literally, NAPA brake calipers, rotors and pads on the car, the windshield was replaced with a non-OEM one that didn't fit and leaked, and the rear quarter was repainted. They fixed the brakes and the windshield but not the paint work which was flaking off in the wheel-well. I never understood how none of this was disclosed and how the brakes made it through their "rigorous" CPO process.

That was the last time I paid extra for CPO but at least the dealer fixed most of the problems. This is total BS.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

I think Porsche's CPO is pretty rigorous.

The GT3 pictures left received new rotors, pads, tires, maintenance and recalls all brought up to date, detail, wheel refinished. Looks as new.

Might depend on the dealer too.

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
CPO is total BS in my opinion and not just limited to Porsche. I bought a BMW M3 CPO years ago and the car felt like it braked like an SUV. Immediately brought it back and insisted I could be there to watch the inspection so no BS. The car had, literally, NAPA brake calipers, rotors and pads on the car, the windshield was replaced with a non-OEM one that didn't fit and leaked, and the rear quarter was repainted. They fixed the brakes and the windshield but not the paint work which was flaking off in the wheel-well. I never understood how none of this was disclosed and how the brakes made it through their "rigorous" CPO process.

That was the last time I paid extra for CPO but at least the dealer fixed most of the problems. This is total BS.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest89

Hennessey in Roswell - Greg the Technician...the only dealership guy you want touching your GT3. Talk to Jeff Corey Service Manager. He is great to deal with and will go to bat for you.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If records were available to Porsche about the aftermarket exhaust "before" CPO'd, then they were available "during" the inspection/decision to CPO the car and charge you a premium for it. That is nothing short of "fraudulent misrepresentation". Unfortunately, few companies stand behind their products today unless you become a royal PIA and back them in the corner with facts. Document correspondence (preferably get it in email) and get your facts together. Once you feel like you have been reasonable long enough, start raising hell. Sad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RMS repair denied under CPO because... of a modified exhaust not on the car anymore