Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS repair denied under CPO because... of a modified exhaust not on the car anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 183 Posts

CPO, any CPO is really a rip off. CPO is an another name for a used car which is nothing but a limited extended warranty.

CPO is no where near as comprehensive as some of the after market warranties.

I bought a CPO E55 3 years ago (already gone) and the car needed 2 front tires, a pollen air filter and few other things which is hard to swallow that they would miss on a certification process.

The funny thing is, if you do find out something's not right, then it's between you and the dealer as the marque will not intervene in the dispute, been there done that.

CPO
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is funny, because I purchased a 2007 CPO GT3 last year with an aftermarket exhaust on the car from a dealership.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts

They wanted to sell it to me with the aftermarket exhaust but I asked them to put it back to stock as I was worried about the sound limits at Mont Tremblant.

The way I understand it is that Pfaff certified it with the modified exhaust on and sold it to me with CPO, I have the documentation. As such I believe that they are either responsible for screwing up or PCNA is just trying to BS its way out of it which is pretty dishonest IMO. Anything outcome than complete repair will seem fraudulent to me. I totally understand the Quebec city dealership to not want to touch it until it's settled.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I bought my GT3 with CPO at Downtown Porsche in TO in Oct 09 and I then installed a SharkWerks By-pass in November.

June 2010 the RMS started to leak and it was fixed under the CPO warranty with the SharkWerks By-pass still installed by my Ottawa Porsche dealer at N/C to me. No issues, no push back.....

If the by-pass is now an issue for PCNA, then it makes no sense why PCNA would allow a CPO on your car with it installed and then deny coverage because it is installed...
Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: Spoke to my dealershiop this AM, they're still trying to work it out with PCNA. Apparently there's a TSB that mentions this issue can happen if you have issues with the stock exhaust with dead solenoids where the flaps don't open. This is an issue my car was fixed for also. Still waiting for an outcome.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
porka
Banned

i have an aftermarket fidelity warranty on my 2005 c2s.. just had the rms replaced and thats with modified suspension, headers, exhaust and even cats.

you are being messed around, go to another dealer.

mike
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
They wanted to sell it to me with the aftermarket exhaust but I asked them to put it back to stock as I was worried about the sound limits at Mont Tremblant.

The way I understand it is that Pfaff certified it with the modified exhaust on and sold it to me with CPO, I have the documentation. As such I believe that they are either responsible for screwing up or PCNA is just trying to BS its way out of it which is pretty dishonest IMO. Anything outcome than complete repair will seem fraudulent to me. I totally understand the Quebec city dealership to not want to touch it until it's settled.
You have a Porsche CPO warranty. If a Porsche authorized dealer (Pfaff) issued a CPO warranty that should not have been issued on this particular car, then that issue is between Porsche and Pfaff. If this is not resolved to your satisfaction, please hire an Attorney who specializes in automotive issues.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Objectively speaking, how have owners benefited from CPO warranties?

I may have read an extreme case here where an owner received a replacement engine after the original one grenaded on the back of failed bearing(s). But that has to be a five-sigma event.

I just don't know what value a CPO adds, other than restricting our ability to modify the cars in any significant way (particularly painful for the track crowd) and potentially creating a slight premium at resale...
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM
porka
Banned

Originally Posted by Brent95M3
I purchased a CPO car that unbeknownst to me had previously had GIAC software, champion intercoolers, and an aftermarket exhaust. This was undisclosed at the time of purchase. If Porsche is certifying cars that used to have mods, I'm mystified that they can then try to deny warranty coverage as a result of the mods.
Amen brother - i too purchased a PCO 996 Turubo, only to find out it was once a 700hp beast with aftermarket turbos intercoolers, aftermarked coil packs and a cage that was removed.

some guy took all the mods out left the 1.4 bar tune and traded it in..

the car never ran right.

That all said - CPO took care of every single item with the car. i was never questioned or asked to pay for anything.. i would estimate $30,000 in claims was paid out to rectify all the issue.

the car had blue boost hoses - that should have been a dead giveaway to any tech that the car was not stock. not to mention the insane power it was producing on k16's
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
I bought a CPO E55 3 years ago (already gone) and the car needed 2 front tires, a pollen air filter and few other things which is hard to swallow that they would miss on a certification process.
Audi CPO tested the AC in my A8 during the middle of winter and (most likely) outside of the certification center/garage... Of course it worked when it left there and no, Audi of Brookline, MA did not cover the repair 5 months later in the spring when it was finally warm enough to need AC. Nor did Audi Customer Care try real hard to convince them.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porka
Amen brother - i too purchased a PCO 996 Turubo, only to find out it was once a 700hp beast with aftermarket turbos intercoolers, aftermarked coil packs and a cage that was removed.

some guy took all the mods out left the 1.4 bar tune and traded it in..

the car never ran right.

That all said - CPO took care of every single item with the car. i was never questioned or asked to pay for anything.. i would estimate $30,000 in claims was paid out to rectify all the issue.

the car had blue boost hoses - that should have been a dead giveaway to any tech that the car was not stock. not to mention the insane power it was producing on k16's
Which dealer do you go to?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

When my 07 RS had second gear synchro issues it was fixed under the CPO warranty without too much trouble. Saved me $$$. Seems like CPO can be hit or miss though. Good luck with your RMS.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM
M BADGER
Advanced

Originally Posted by CRex
Objectively speaking, how have owners benefited from CPO warranties?

I may have read an extreme case here where an owner received a replacement engine after the original one grenaded on the back of failed bearing(s). But that has to be a five-sigma event.

I just don't know what value a CPO adds, other than restricting our ability to modify the cars in any significant way (particularly painful for the track crowd) and potentially creating a slight premium at resale...
I'll offer my own experience on the subject.

I purchased a 2004 996 Turbo from a dealer in May of 2012.

27k miles. 2 year/50k mile CPO that expired at the end of March due to mileage. Car was bone stock other than Champion RG19 wheels.

I estimate I paid probably $2-3k more than an equivalent non-CPO car.

I have driven the car 51,000 miles in the 23 months since.

At the time of purchase, the car had received $13k (retail) in work to pass the CPO inspection. Major items included new PS2s, spoiler hydraulic replacement and the slave cylinder.

I have spent $20,640 to date on repairs, maintenance and upgrades.

Roughly half of that was on modifications, consisting of an APR ECU flash, a Speedtech X-pipe exhaust and a Sachs 2.5 Clutch kit.

Another $3000 was for winter wheels/tires and a set of Pilot Super Sports when the PS2s wore out.

I had two significant mechanical issues that were covered under CPO. The Power Steering Reservoir was updated due to noise per a TSB at 46k miles and the coolant pipes and related parts were replaced at 55k after they failed. I have also had a few minor issues covered under CPO, like the hood latch that was just replaced.

Given the issues I had that were covered, I think my CPO warranty more than paid for itself. YMMV.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Update: leak diagnosed as RMS; being fixed under CPO. Zero issues from dealer.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Update: leak diagnosed as RMS; being fixed under CPO. Zero issues from dealer.
Lucky you, I'm still waiting for response from Porsche Canada!

Quick Reply: RMS repair denied under CPO because... of a modified exhaust not on the car anymore