Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Window not functioning properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 PM
JustSan
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window not functioning properly

Having a tough time diagnosing this one and was hoping for some help before I turn to the dealer...

.1 GT3.
After washing and waxing the car, I go to close the passenger side door and it doesn't shut all of the way. I notice the window is protruding and on top of the rubber sill. I pull the handle and open the door and the window lowers, but when I release the handle the window goes back up. Normally the window goes up after the door is shut. Right now the only way to shut the door is to roll the window down.
Seems like the actuator is working, but there is some sort of trigger going bad. Has anybody ever experienced this when the window goes down when the handle is pulled, and back up when the handle is released?

Thank you
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

normal cause is the microswitch in the handle. does it happen with both the outside and inside handle?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I experienced this when my battery was being to loose its surface charge - ie it was on its way to failing

It was a very interesting problem in that the car would start without being noticeably slow to crank, I wasn't looking for any issue with the battery though as all indicators seemed to point to microswitches or control modules

I went through a period of a couple of months where this would happen and then after a good drive it wouldn't

the dealer wasn't able to determine the problem as by the time I drove down there (2 hours) the battery was sufficiently charged for the short term

It wasn't until they had it over a weekend and tried on a Monday to open the car -interestingly the doors unlocked remotely but the windows didn't drop

They ran a systems check and found the battery to be low not flat but low, replaced it and the problem went away
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 AM
JustSan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
normal cause is the microswitch in the handle. does it happen with both the outside and inside handle?
I did not check the inside handle, I will do that tonight and report back.

Originally Posted by modoz61
It wasn't until they had it over a weekend and tried on a Monday to open the car -interestingly the doors unlocked remotely but the windows didn't drop
Interesting - mine only does this on the passenger side...yours was on both sides when the battery was failing? The car has been sitting for a week...I'll drive it tomorrow and see if the problem goes away.

Thank you both for the input.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM
thekid96
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely the handle switch from your description, just dealt with same issue.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSan
I did not check the inside handle, I will do that tonight and report back.
Just lightly pull either handle, inside and outside, the window should roll down. When you have the inside door handle off you can see the microswitch. I'm not sure where it is on the outside door handle or if it triggers the same switch. There is a cable (like a bike brake cable) that runs from the inside handle to the latch mechanism. Looked at PET but hard to tell as door parts are in multiple parts of the PET.

Check this thread for pics on the internals / removing the panel. It's not hard to do, just get a set of trim tools from harbor freight (like $5)

Getting to INSIDE the door panel is a bit more work and getting to the latch mechanism is a PITA.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l-removal.html
Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM
JustSan
Rennlist Member

When you have the inside door handle off you can see the microswitch. I'm not sure where it is on the outside door handle or if it triggers the same switch.
Thanks! I actually have that link bookmarked for a speaker replacement (on the drivers side unfortunately).

All sounds pretty simple, just need to figure out if the same microswitch is used for the interior and exterior pulls. Guess pulling on the inside handle will give me that answer tonight.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM
JustSan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thekid96
Definitely the handle switch from your description, just dealt with same issue.
How did you resolve? DIY or dealer?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 PM
thekid96
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSan
How did you resolve? DIY or dealer?
Warranty...
Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM
JustSan
Rennlist Member

Yes, the inside handle does the same thing as the outside. Must be 1 microswitch...hopefully.

Quick Reply: Window not functioning properly