Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Symptoms of a dying battery (or should I be more concerned)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I have been using CTEK for around 8 years on multiple cars...works great...I have 9-10 cars on charge.

Also...avoid Lead-Acid and go for a dry cell such as an AGM (advance glass mat)...lead acids can leak sometimes and you have expensive stuff under the battery tray of the 997...you don't want that kind of corrosion. Further, AGMs have more than enough CCA (cold cranking amps) and they can be fully deep cycled and then recharged to 100%SOC (state of charge) whereas the lead-acid don't like the recharge process....the plates get shocked and lose their life/performance...and oxidize...

IMHO...
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Hey guys,

After a night of charging (on my other charger) the battery seems normal again. I started the car and drove it out into my driveway and all systems were working and no error codes shown. I shut off and started the car 5 separate times (cringe!) and it fired up every time with no hesitation.

So, at least I know that the error codes, etc. were from the weak battery. Now the only mystery is 'has my battery recovered or is it still compromised'? Only time will tell. Thanks for the good feedback.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You can take the battery to any auto parts store and they can load test it for you. They do this for free. Sounds like your charger failed and all is ok now though
Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I have been using CTEK for around 8 years on multiple cars...works great...I have 9-10 cars on charge.

Also...avoid Lead-Acid and go for a dry cell such as an AGM (advance glass mat)...lead acids can leak sometimes and you have expensive stuff under the battery tray of the 997...you don't want that kind of corrosion. Further, AGMs have more than enough CCA (cold cranking amps) and they can be fully deep cycled and then recharged to 100%SOC (state of charge) whereas the lead-acid don't like the recharge process....the plates get shocked and lose their life/performance...and oxidize...

IMHO...
Had a huge 65 lb battery(lead acid) mounted on the trunk floor for better weight distribution. Boy car rotated well but my indie used a pos plastic battery tray with less than desirable hold the damn battery stationary kinda thing. Upon inspection after one session battery slid to rt side of trunk and lead acid was slightly seeping. U should get a dry cel type like someone mentioned. And for whatever reason always have the thought they can explode if u reverse the + and - terminals. Mike
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Regarding my Lead Acid comment from earlier, I might have spoken too soon about that since I never looked at it to identify it 100%. It's a Porsche GT3 specific battery, and the non lithium-Ion (or is the stock one Lithium-Iron?) version that would come with the car. Anyway, so whatever the stock non LI battery is, that's what is in the car.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^(My estimate): 95% probability that you have lead-acid. The LI (Lithium-Ion) batteries were small and expensive.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

The Porsche part number of my battery is 999.611.070.00 and it is a Moll unit. What I meant was I was sure it wasn't Li-Ion but wasn't sure if there was a factory non lead-acid version too. That's why I wasn't sure it was lead acid but suspected it was.

The same battery is referenced in another thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l-battery.html

Interestingly, although I have the complete service records of my car from new, I cannot for the life of me find where the second Li-Ion battery was replaced with a traditional battery. The Li-Ion battery was 'serviced' at 9 miles and again at 17,100 miles, but no mention of anything since then.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

IIRC cars optioned from factory with the LION battery also came with a regular battery. It was probably swapped and sold at one point or it and died.

That Moll is a normal lead acid battery. I'm pretty sure porsche has not used AGM yet at least in 997.

If you need a new one just get an Interstate MTP48/H6.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thank you Spyerx. I hope you're enjoying that sweet 997.1 GT3 RS that you picked up at about the same time as my own acquisition!

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a dying battery (or should I be more concerned)?