Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3 RS if used daily every weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:16 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I drove a GT2 last week and found the steering to be extremely similar to the GT3 RS, very raw, just a touch more dead on center but too close to tell, could be just wear on the car from slight track use. Extremely communicative. The suspension is definitely softer, I feel like it could be a daily driver whereas I would hesitate to say that with the RS (the ride is more choppy over broken pavement). The exhaust is much louder than the turbo's, but not quite loud enough, however it's quite inexpensive to swap out the exhaust for straight pipes.

In terms of looks now that I can see both cars in person, I think the GT3 RS and '08 GT2 are quite equal, and so for me it comes down to color preference. I like these cars in black or grey black a bit more than the other available colors. The positive is that the GT2 can easily be upgraded to look like the GT2 RS minus the carbon fiber inserts for about 10k (no side scoops, front hood, or side mirrors).

Tough call, seeing as to how few of these cars are available with little track time, I'm limited in my options. I think I'll just aim for a black GT2, or grey black/black (paint to sample) GT3 RS. Hard to describe, but I'd say the GT2 is 95-99% as good as the GT3 RS (but honestly, it comes down to preference more than the cars here). They're just too similar to one another and like others said, you just need to decide on three things: which car looks better, a softer vs firmer suspension, and finally, low end insane torque vs race car engine sound/linear torque delivery.

I would definitely say these are much more similar in overall experience/driving excitement than the forums would make it out to be. I can definitely agree with the GT3 RS being a better 'track only' car, but when it's used on the street more than track, there is no clear answer as to which car is better. Both great cars, can't really go wrong with either one.

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 04-05-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:28 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black is hard to keep clean, shows every spec of dust from a drive around the block, but man its purty when it is clean!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mepps
black is hard to keep clean, shows every spec of dust from a drive around the block, but man its purty when it is clean!
Lol, I completely agree. Brand new black cars look like they're a few years old when driven for a few days. Glad they come with Sport cups, means it will only see dry surfaces!

Do you guys think with detailer, a car cover, plus dry roads I will always be able to keep the black paint in that flawless just waxed appearance? Never attempted it before.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure anything is possible. How much you devote to that aspect is your prerogative. Me, I have a grey car that hides dirt. Cleaned it twice in the last 6 months.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Soo... I drove a GT3 RS again.

I have to say my opinion between this and the GT2 was wrong. I got to spend a lot of time behind the wheel of the RS. The steering has absolutely NO dead on center play whereas the GT2 has some. The suspension feels like a street legal race car, whereas the GT2 feels more like a turbo with the suspension kicked up a notch. It feels more like a GT car than a race car.

The exhaust note was incredible on the RS, especially after 4000rpm or whenever the valve opens up and the engine note gets louder. It felt like I was driving a fighter jet the whole time. I LOOVEEE the torque curve on this thing, it's just so linear and slowly builds up. Absolutely perfect engine, doesn't need any more power. The clutch and shifter are absolutely perfect. I was in heaven.

I take my opinion back, the GT3 RS is much better driver's car than the GT2. I'm sorry to say that, but I've decided I would not be happy with a GT2. I've seen the light, just took a third longer drive to see it. lol

I'm annoyed that there are no GT3 RS to select from in grey black at the moment in North America. Can't wait to bring one home one day! I'm glad I finally made up my mind, I may even consider a standard GT3. What an amazing car!!! This just might be the best manual transmission sports car ever made...

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Thanks for the responses.

I drove a GT2 last week and found the steering to be extremely similar to the GT3 RS, very raw, just a touch more dead on center but too close to tell, could be just wear on the car from slight track use. Extremely communicative. The suspension is definitely softer, I feel like it could be a daily driver whereas I would hesitate to say that with the RS (the ride is more choppy over broken pavement). The exhaust is much louder than the turbo's, but not quite loud enough, however it's quite inexpensive to swap out the exhaust for straight pipes.

In terms of looks now that I can see both cars in person, I think the GT3 RS and '08 GT2 are quite equal, and so for me it comes down to color preference. I like these cars in black or grey black a bit more than the other available colors. The positive is that the GT2 can easily be upgraded to look like the GT2 RS minus the carbon fiber inserts for about 10k (no side scoops, front hood, or side mirrors).

Tough call, seeing as to how few of these cars are available with little track time, I'm limited in my options. I think I'll just aim for a black GT2, or grey black/black (paint to sample) GT3 RS. Hard to describe, but I'd say the GT2 is 95-99% as good as the GT3 RS (but honestly, it comes down to preference more than the cars here). They're just too similar to one another and like others said, you just need to decide on three things: which car looks better, a softer vs firmer suspension, and finally, low end insane torque vs race car engine sound/linear torque delivery.

I would definitely say these are much more similar in overall experience/driving excitement than the forums would make it out to be. I can definitely agree with the GT3 RS being a better 'track only' car, but when it's used on the street more than track, there is no clear answer as to which car is better. Both great cars, can't really go wrong with either one.

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 04-17-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't sweat it, you got half of the process done, you made a choice...now all ya gotta do is find one....one will pop up soon, you just gotta be ready to pull the trigger before its gone.....
Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

It's too bad you (and many others) don't realize almost all the handling differences you feel are alignment related and can be adjusted accordingly. GT2 from the factory are much more conservatively aligned because of the higher power potential. They are built on virtually the same chassis.

Glad you made your choice... Hope you find your car!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

^+1
Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

I agree if you know what you're doing a car can be improved substantially. Good example is the C63 --> C63 black series, and also the SLS --> SLS black series. The standard cars are good, but never seem to get great reviews, whereas the black series seem to get really glowing reviews. Problem is I would just be ignorant pretending I know how to tune a car better than the factory settings. I don't have the experience/know how to do it.

Speaking of which, is there a DIY or guide that indicates what each suspension mod does to a car, and how it positively/negative affects the handling/ride? Would be great to start somewhere.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Dealers have alignment/rake/ride height specs. It's also on this forum somewhere. Not hard to do, any garage monkey can do it with the right tools.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3 RS if used daily every weekend