Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3 RS if used daily every weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 AM
tripleblack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
What did you experience in the GT2 that just wasn't there with the GT3s other than acceleration? I find soooo many board members here who have GT3s are incredibly passionate and enthusiastic about their cars, whereas the GT2 owners are less so.
Pro: The turbos sound great in the cabin.
Con: One enjoys the pleasure of PP replacement less frequently

There are fewer of us and we typically post a little less, though not through lack of enthusiasm for the car.

They're both great cars. Drive one & pick the one you prefer. My choice for street only is a GT2.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:49 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First I have to say, what an awesome dilemma to have It certainly seems to be a preference thing. The GT3RS's rev much higher and you said you want a car that's more visceral. For those reasons, and others that you mentioned, I think it may be more suitable to you. But here's a fantastic comparison Johnnes Van Overbeek did of the GT3RS vs. the GT2RS (I know you're talking about the 2, but other than a bump in hp and some lightening measures, the 2RS isn't much different). Based on your criteria, I just think you'll be happier and more involved in driving the 3RS because you'll enjoy the higher redline and often be up in the 8000's

Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Simonoz
Track Day

What did you experience in the GT2 that just wasn't there with the GT3s other than acceleration? I find soooo many board members here who have GT3s are incredibly passionate and enthusiastic about their cars, whereas the GT2 owners are less so.
I don't think that there is much to glean from this at all.
GT2's are a lot less prolific, and so there are less comments from owners.
GT2 owners don't tend to track their cars, and if I'm any indication, that might be because we own other 911's for that purpose. In my case, when I've had a GT2 I've also had a 1974 RS as my track car.
GT2 owners are, in my suspicions, older, less out there in what they have to say, and happy in their choices. Don't forget that GT2's are heinously expensive new, even compared to any GT3 variant so you need to have deep pockets if buying new. I think they are a bargain second hand.

I could track my GT2 but there simply aren't any tracks here where I live that would let me stretch the legs of this car. So I happily run an older car for track and rally use. I am very comfortable in the knowledge that if I could find a track that was at all suitable, the GT2 would whip most things, GT3's included (he says, ducking for cover).
So I don't think we are any less enthusiastic, just a bit quieter.

Hope you find the car you like, GT2 or not.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

So for street you prefer the GT2 even though you have a GT3?
Yes. The GT2 is a better street car IMO. More accessible performance without being antisocial. Like pottering to shops and thoroughfare at 6krpm

For track I'll still take the 3 but I'm resigned to the fact that a well driven 2 will kick my butt any day of the week.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Twosherpaz
Intermediate

How does the fun factor of the GT3 compare to the 458? Which of the two puts a bigger smile on your face when you've had a long week, and you just can't wait to get on the road and have fun?
I love the RS. The answer to the question is the 458. Unlike the GTR, which at 1000 hp would blow the doors off a stock GT2, the 458 makes me forget there are only two pedals. It is hard to explain exactly why, but the descriptions I've read that best seem to explain it are: sound, looks, and it's a Ferrari.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gt2 RS is faster on the track, one day after the track closed Patrick Long pulled out one of each to run on the outer loop at Miller. Ran hot laps back to back GT2 RS did a 2:02.xx GT3 RS did a 2:05.xx. If the temps would have cooled a bit more the Gt2 might have gone even faster. I get the NA thing for the track, my st1 race car throws tarmac from 2500rpms, but for a DD I go would with the twin turbos. I am looking for the right deal on one myself.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
CanadaRS
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So far only tracked the GT2 never my 4.0
The GT2 is an awesome car and with todays pricing probably the better track car to drive home and on any day of the week
Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 PM
hduffy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the fun factor of the GT3 compare to the 458? Which of the two puts a bigger smile on your face when you've had a long week, and you just can't wait to get on the road and have fun?
Can't speak to the GT3 but I went from a 997 Turbo to a 458 to a GT2 to a GT2RS. The 458 was last because fun to me equals a clutch.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:47 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Pro: The turbos sound great in the cabin.
Con: One enjoys the pleasure of PP replacement less frequently

There are fewer of us and we typically post a little less, though not through lack of enthusiasm for the car.

They're both great cars. Drive one & pick the one you prefer. My choice for street only is a GT2.
What's PP replacement. I tried looking it up, no success. lol
Old 03-19-2014, 12:49 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
First I have to say, what an awesome dilemma to have It certainly seems to be a preference thing. The GT3RS's rev much higher and you said you want a car that's more visceral. For those reasons, and others that you mentioned, I think it may be more suitable to you. But here's a fantastic comparison Johnnes Van Overbeek did of the GT3RS vs. the GT2RS (I know you're talking about the 2, but other than a bump in hp and some lightening measures, the 2RS isn't much different). Based on your criteria, I just think you'll be happier and more involved in driving the 3RS because you'll enjoy the higher redline and often be up in the 8000's

2011 GT2 RS vs. GT3 RS: Interview with Johannes van Overbeek - YouTube
I've watched that video before and again the enthusiasm when he's referring to the GT3 just makes it tempting for me. On the flip side of things with Formula 1 now being turbocharged I wouldn't be surprised if within a few years the GT2 start increasing in value and gaining attention from Porschephiles.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaRS
The GT2 is an awesome car and with todays pricing probably the better track car to drive home and on any day of the week
You're doing is *** backwards
Take the 4.0 to the track please.

Awesome Gt2 color, love it
Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Simonoz
I don't think that there is much to glean from this at all.
GT2's are a lot less prolific, and so there are less comments from owners.
GT2 owners don't tend to track their cars, and if I'm any indication, that might be because we own other 911's for that purpose. In my case, when I've had a GT2 I've also had a 1974 RS as my track car.
GT2 owners are, in my suspicions, older, less out there in what they have to say, and happy in their choices. Don't forget that GT2's are heinously expensive new, even compared to any GT3 variant so you need to have deep pockets if buying new. I think they are a bargain second hand.

I could track my GT2 but there simply aren't any tracks here where I live that would let me stretch the legs of this car. So I happily run an older car for track and rally use. I am very comfortable in the knowledge that if I could find a track that was at all suitable, the GT2 would whip most things, GT3's included (he says, ducking for cover).
So I don't think we are any less enthusiastic, just a bit quieter.

Hope you find the car you like, GT2 or not.
I see what you mean. 2s are twice the cost of 3s. Definitely a 50+ crowd from what I've seen.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twosherpaz
I love the RS. The answer to the question is the 458. Unlike the GTR, which at 1000 hp would blow the doors off a stock GT2, the 458 makes me forget there are only two pedals. It is hard to explain exactly why, but the descriptions I've read that best seem to explain it are: sound, looks, and it's a Ferrari.
I wish Porsche made something equivalent to that flat plane crank v8. Nothing better than that. The 430 Scuderia... my ears melted when I heard that one redlined on the street.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:02 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanadaRS
Wow, nordic gold GT2! I saw a 911 Careera in that colour. Yours must looks amazing.

I like that you guys with GT3 are supporting the GT2 for street driving. Can't wait to go for a test drive very soon.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hduffy
Can't speak to the GT3 but I went from a 997 Turbo to a 458 to a GT2 to a GT2RS. The 458 was last because fun to me equals a clutch.
The clutch pedal is extremely important to me.. It keeps the driving experience involving. Wish you owned a GT3 at some point as well for more input. You love your turbos!

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT2 vs 997.2 GT3 RS if used daily every weekend