Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ride quality of 997gt3

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ride is clearly better on the 997.2 GT3 than in the 997.1. That's why I waited for the right .2, quite refined for such a high performance car tha can be tracked as-is. I drive on the street regularly, and I like it, it's a different feeling. I track it and I love it, it shines there as limits are too high to explore them on the street.
The TT is a Caddy in comparison, great for the street probably better but quite a different feel.
In the end, it's subjective. Get a test drive and then decide which one is for you and your intended use.
Good luck!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM
augustxke
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My closest dealer is 2 1/2 hrs away, I visited Sat. and drove a 2011 turbo and a 2014 cayman. It was 24 degrees, the roads were wet, the turbo had summer tires and the cayman winter tires. The cayman felt more like a sports car and the turbo more like a regular car, but fast. The dealer has no gt3 and they do not get any, so the chance of me comparing drives is unlikely. So I appreciate your feed back. I like to feel the car as a driving event even when I am driving the legal limit. The cayman felt that way as it reved quickly and made great sounds.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

I logged about 150 miles on my 07 GT3 RS this weekend and no way would I use this as a daily driver. It is stiff and the ride is quite jarring. This is a weekend only car and a track car if you wish.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ED
My 997.2 GT3 is much stiffer than my Elise with standard suspension. In fact, I would say it's borderline harsh. It's also loud enough to make conversation difficult during highway cruising. I'm sure that a change from Sport Cup to Supersport tires would help on both dimensions,
I changed from Corsas to MPSS on my 7.2 GT3. MPSS not any quieter, and no appreciable difference in ride quality
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Don't do it. Use a GT3 for racing, canyon driving not touring with your wife. Ride is too hard Too loud Sound system sucks I went from racing a 2010 GT3 to weekending a 14' Boxster....much more relaxed and refreshed when I arrive. You can only go so fast on the street. Maybe a 991 911 flavor. Gt3 tracking YES ! Weekend with wife NO!
No. You did not go from "racing a GT3" to anything. David - you went from Autocrossing and doing a hundred launches that you did not fully disclose until after I actually took possession of your car and took it to the track and noticed the clutch was toast. It came out in pieces at the shop. You killed the flywheel and pressure plate, too. You destroyed the clutch, and there is no way you could not have known it when you drove it hard. $3500+ later, I have a new flywheel, clutch and pp. Trade your car in next time. That is probably why your dealer offered so little. They knew you fried the clutch. Don't sell any more cars here as you do not provide an honest assessment of what is wrong. That doesn't even include the rear brake duct, rear wheel arch, bottom panel, front wheel well liner, and other little things that you had to know were broken but failed to disclose. Amazing how you point to a 2" piece of duct tape on a bottom panel but fail to show me the 15" long crack covered with duct tape. I fixed everything with new parts.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Points out the need for a good PPI by knowledgeable shop.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DLJ
^ Points out the need for a good PPI by knowledgeable shop.
thought I had PPI covered, but it turns out they must not have looked at a single friggin' thing. they at least pulled the DME correctly. the plastic parts were just a minor nuisance and quickly replaced for a few hundred $$. the clutch was a whole different beast.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:07 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. least now you have it sorted to enjoy it !
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I have driven and been a passenger in a friend's '10' GT3 RS and I think it is more comfortable than my '11' Carrera GTS. I wouldn't hesitate to drive one on the street. In fact I close the deal on a '10' GT3 tomorrow which I will drive on the street.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for the second iteration, 997.2 GT3 which are MY10 and newer... Much more compliant. Adaptive sport seats. Stay with stock exhaust and hands off the 'Sport' button, which introduces low RPM exhaust resonance. Don't overinflate tires.

If the roads are decent, it's great. Rough roads do transmit a lot of noise, the thinner wall between you and the engine does allow tire roar. That said, the adaptive seats are supremely comfortable for us. My wife hasn't complained about ride comfort ever... The 'white noise' does lull her into deep sleep, at which point i drive like a nut until she reawakens.... Wash, rinse, repeat.

Configured as above, it really comes down to the roads you have in mind.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Went from a 997 C2 to the GT3. My wife does notice the increase noise of the GT3 - more so then ride differences. We take it out all of the time on weekends for dinner .
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Drove from Ontario Canada last summer to Colorado and back in my .2 GT3 used it there for six weeks as my DD and found it not wanting at all. Comfort level was great. Can't comment on the .1
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
No. You did not go from "racing a GT3" to anything. David - you went from Autocrossing and doing a hundred launches that you did not fully disclose until after I actually took possession of your car and took it to the track and noticed the clutch was toast. It came out in pieces at the shop. You killed the flywheel and pressure plate, too. You destroyed the clutch, and there is no way you could not have known it when you drove it hard. $3500+ later, I have a new flywheel, clutch and pp. Trade your car in next time. That is probably why your dealer offered so little. They knew you fried the clutch. Don't sell any more cars here as you do not provide an honest assessment of what is wrong. That doesn't even include the rear brake duct, rear wheel arch, bottom panel, front wheel well liner, and other little things that you had to know were broken but failed to disclose. Amazing how you point to a 2" piece of duct tape on a bottom panel but fail to show me the 15" long crack covered with duct tape. I fixed everything with new parts.
Scott, I am sorry that you feel that way.
I autocrossed the GT3 all over the coutry, traveling to California, Nebraska, Texas, Arkansas, DC, etc, with the SCCA. Of course when I competed in autocrossing I took off the line aggressively if I thought it would lower my time. I also competed in an autocrossing off shoot which is called a pro-solo which is two mirror image courses. I am all over the SCCA forums about my former exploits autocrossing.

I never tracked the GT3, which was and is the truth.
I never drove the car above 105mph, truth.

You got a 8000 mile car with 3 extra sets of wheels, and some partially used Hoosier A6's for 100k. Why do you think I had 3 extra sets wheels and a whole mess of used A6's-----grocery store driving ?

I just remembered I also gave you an additional 2 front wheels with the offset for the RS, that I bought when my car was in another class, and decided I didn't like the feel in the front of that car with the RS offset wheels.

(Not to mention that you got my big giant torque wrench and everything else I couldn't use anymore, because I was selling the car to you.)

I think you got a good fair deal on a car that had lift, DEM, Nav and Stereo upgrade etc.......car MSRP 137,000. (about 8k in pretty exclusive options)

I competed nationally in Autocrossing with the SCCA. When I am at a national autocrossing and or a local event, I try to get the lowest time possible. I never took the car to a drag strip, but of course I launched the car hard numerous times.

I believe I launched the car with you hard when I drove you in the car. You drove the car 20 miles to my warehouse yourself while I drove another car. You had the car PPI'ed at a shop of your choice.

I guess I am guilty for not saying to you, "Scott, while you know I autocrossed the car very actively all over the country, I want you to be totally and fully aware that I launched the car aggressively 100's of times"

Maybe the clutch was on it's way out. Makes sense. However I had no idea that was the case when I sold you the car.

I had the car for 3 1/2 years. 3 extra sets of wheels and tires, and bunch of Hoosier A6's among them. I never touched the engine. I never modified the car, I never had any paint work done (the little ding on the bottom was from a hard rubber cone).

Scott, I truly think you got a great deal, and I still do.

PS.....I have no idea if the LSD still works, but again it wouldn't surprise me if that went bye bye also.

PSS.....you had all my service records, the clutch was never an issue for me. But after over 100 autocrosses over 3 1/2 years it makes sense that it was on it's way out possibly. Again I never ever did hard 3 to 4 shifts. I did hard 1 to 2 shifts and then I was done. Car always felt fine when I did this.

PSSS....Scott I didn't do any of my own maint. on the car so I never got under it.

Last edited by LehmanZ06; 03-13-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Scott,

Update......I have a solution for you. I have a buddy that will buy my car from you, and I am sure he would make you whole for what you put into the car.

So......100k that you bought the car for plus car shipping, plus what you put into the car.

I think if you are really interested in getting out of my old car, then my friend is a serious buyer and there is a very good chance he will take it off your hands.

(I think my friend would also want the 14 wheels and the torque wrench, condition of the tires is unimportant)

PS.....The plastic crack on the one of the bottom pieces was like that for 2 1/2 years. Not a big deal. Happened when one board got stuck under the car while loading or unloading the car at a race. Yes you probably had to replace a piece of plastic. I had no idea about any other piece of plastic of wheel plastic......I don't really think it's a big deal, and I tried to send you a picture when you asked for all the pictures------I guess it's hard to take a clear picture of the underside of a car with an iphone with the car on the ground. You did see the car-----what did that plastic piece cost to replace, a couple of hundred bucks ????

You can still sell my car with all my wheels for MORE than you bought it for---I still think you got a good deal.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

My apologies about the plastic crack on the underside of the car.

Both disclosed, but I might have said that one was a few inches, maybe it was 15". There was a crack on the bottom plastic panel.......one on each side.

One from a latern flashlight, that I didnt realize was under the car, and when I put the lift down I heard crack....maybe a few inch long crack. The 15" or one foot crack was I believe on the other side of the same black plastic piece that is around where the doors are. I think that there was a crack on each side of the same piece. So if you replace one of those three pieces under the car----you would get rid of both cracks---just not 100% sure

Quick Reply: Ride quality of 997gt3