Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

towing open trailer with bmw x5d

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014 | 08:26 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

About the cayenne diesel...I really wanted to like it, but overall I prefer the X5 by a large margin.

The cayenne interior buttons are hard plastic and feel cheap, the seat ventilation fans are so loud you think they'll put you in space, the transmission didn't really do what I wanted it to, and the engine didn't feel as strong as the X5, nor did it make enough of that diesel noise that I like. Overall, to me, the Cayenne didn't feel like a premium car.

If you weren't leasing a new one, a used '12 X5D is a bargain, and really not much has changed with the new one.
Old 03-03-2014 | 08:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Put 20k tow mile on my x5

Trailex

Cruise at 85-90

12 mpg

At 50k miles it stArted breaking

Then bought a real truck...dint miss towing with a SUV

My pepper diesel feel like a mini compared to 3/4 ton truck

Skip SUV phase go direct to real truck u won't regret it.
^ why did you keep a car past 50,000 is byond me.....

but that GMC you got is fine.
the one you help me get. 366 day today. 24800 miles.
Old 03-03-2014 | 08:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944

If you weren't leasing a new one, a used '12 X5D is a bargain, and really not much has changed with the new one.
Yeah, I never have bought a new BMW, bought CPO/used, never new. Lease new is good. Cheaper than buying new on depreciation. Plus if I'm towing I don't want the thing more than 3 years!

New one has 'better' interior but mechanically they seem mostly the same except the new one I 'believe' has the new ZF 8spd tranny in it.

That 50k miles thing... wife's mini pissed coolant on the garage floor last night, damn thermostat housing leak. (well known issue). If she didn't love that car it'd be long gone. Last nights event has it living outside with the neighbors cats.
Old 03-03-2014 | 08:38 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Serge944
About the cayenne diesel...I really wanted to like it, but overall I prefer the X5 by a large margin.

The cayenne interior buttons are hard plastic and feel cheap, the seat ventilation fans are so loud you think they'll put you in space, the transmission didn't really do what I wanted it to, and the engine didn't feel as strong as the X5, nor did it make enough of that diesel noise that I like. Overall, to me, the Cayenne didn't feel like a premium car.

The transmission alone is a big difference in my opinion. The 5 speed vs the 8 speed from Treg Cayenne and new X5 helps a lot with fuel economy and drivability.
Look at the mpg numbers from the new X5 35i and they are almost as good as the older diesel.
Old 03-03-2014 | 08:59 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
The transmission alone is a big difference in my opinion. The 5 speed vs the 8 speed from Treg Cayenne and new X5 helps a lot with fuel economy and drivability.
Look at the mpg numbers from the new X5 35i and they are almost as good as the older diesel.
Ah, wasn't aware that the transmission was changed! You're right - the new 35i actually exceeds the highway mileage of the old 35d.
Old 03-03-2014 | 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I've towed cars, boats, horses trailers, tractors etc with SUVs, and every manner of pickup up to and including F650s. If it's a bumper tag along you're just as well off with the right SUV than a half ton pickup. If you're going to go fifth wheel go to at least a 550. Just so happens my wife currently has an X5 diesel, it tows fine, not as good as the last gen touareg but with the proper setup and load spread you're gtg. Haven't sampled the new treg or pepper while towing.

Towing this little of weight you're better off with a dual purpose SUV than a pickup for the 80% of the time you're not towing IMO. We have an 11 but have the new X5d on order.
Old 03-03-2014 | 09:15 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Put 20k tow mile on my x5

Trailex

Cruise at 85-90

12 mpg

At 50k miles it stArted breaking

Then bought a real truck...dint miss towing with a SUV

My pepper diesel feel like a mini compared to 3/4 ton truck

Skip SUV phase go direct to real truck u won't regret it.
^ why did you keep a car past 50,000 is byond me.....

but that GMC you got is fine.
the one you help me get. 366 day today. 24800 miles.
Mine is 15 months old, 49k mile

I could keep forever but want 15 gmc 1 ton long bed
Old 03-03-2014 | 09:18 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 008
I've towed cars, boats, horses trailers, tractors etc with SUVs, and every manner of pickup up to and including F650s. If it's a bumper tag along you're just as well off with the right SUV than a half ton pickup. If you're going to go fifth wheel go to at least a 550. Just so happens my wife currently has an X5 diesel, it tows fine, not as good as the last gen touareg but with the proper setup and load spread you're gtg. Haven't sampled the new treg or pepper while towing.

Towing this little of weight you're better off with a dual purpose SUV than a pickup for the 80% of the time you're not towing IMO. We have an 11 but have the new X5d on order.
Lollipop pepper and new x5 are made to be lighter

When towing u need mass..not all the time but sometimes

New ram diesel 1500 is better for open trailer
Old 03-03-2014 | 09:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Dealer I talked to said with x5d, the rear air can be had with 3 options: 3rd row seat, adaptive m suspension, or the full adaptive handling package. Need to confirm that.

Cayenne are really nice, but cash price once configured same as X5 is about 15k more, give or take. Plus BMW covers all services for 4 years. Plus BMW lease REALLY well. Like "cheap" well. Big residuals and really low MF (especially when you buy down with multiple security deposits). Porsche residuals and MF are quite a bit worse than BMWs subsidized rates. For a bunch of reasons prefer to lease my DD.

My DD for me now is a 535. And while the 535 is faster, the x5 drove as nice. I don't like the drive of the 535 msport that much, mushy, too soft. X5 actually felt firmer and drove better. Plenty of torque for around town. I've purposely stayed away from big power DD ... makes RS and my sports cars a little more special!

If I had the space, I'd consider a "real truck" but living by the beach, very limited parking, the RS and wife get the garage (that alone is a luxury here). My DD gets street parking. Trailer will live at my uncles shop yard tucked in a corner.

Anyway its a balance of compromises and for my needs/wants the diesel SUV as a DD / occasional tow vehicle appears to be winning at this point.
Hummmm. I've been shopping used '11's trying to steal one at dealer auction. Maybe I need to look at leasing new a little closer.
Old 03-03-2014 | 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Lollipop pepper and new x5 are made to be lighter

When towing u need mass..not all the time but sometimes

New ram diesel 1500 is better for open trailer
Don't disagree but at this low weight if you have enough wheel base and the payload is properly distributed you'll get more use out of an SUV everyday than a pickup.

Since I've been in TX and every person including your banker and attorney drive a pickup to look authentic it gets irksome.
Old 03-03-2014 | 10:17 PM
richard181
Instructor

just ordered X5 50i with trailer hitch to tow either my GT3 or Mustang. With a 3rd row no active rear suspension. I've towed plenty with Navigator L and GMC Denali XL. The smaller BMW should have the power to tow just not sure about its weight. should be interesting.
Old 03-03-2014 | 10:20 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richard181
just ordered X5 50i with trailer hitch to tow either my GT3 or Mustang. With a 3rd row no active rear suspension. I've towed plenty with Navigator L and GMC Denali XL. The smaller BMW should have the power to tow just not sure about its weight. should be interesting.
If u tow short distance they are fine

Tow a couple hundred miles and trans cooks fluid
Old 03-03-2014 | 11:08 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I have towed plenty with a TDI Touareg and aluminum open trailer and have no complaints at all. Cheaper than a Cayenne by quite a bit and, for these purposes, indistinguishable.
Old 03-03-2014 | 11:16 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 114 Posts

If u tow short distance they are fine

Tow a couple hundred miles and trans cooks fluid
85-90mph, can't imagine why...

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Air suspension is very desirable and almost impossible to fine. Only comes with 3rd row seating. The guy MVEZ and I know that tows an open trailer with his does NOT have air suspension and says it still does ok without it.
Absolutely correct, and it does tow just fine. Don't listen to me, I'm a handful of Angels Envy deep after a ridiculous tow home last night. How I'm still awake, or not in a ditch somewhere off I-65 North is a small miracle.
Old 03-03-2014 | 11:57 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 175 Posts

I have an x5d and really wouldn't want to use it for towing much at near 5000 lbs. it's a great rig, but up and down the grapevine to get from NorCal to SoCal and vice versa is something flat landers in Florida don't have to deal with. I would take the flat lander experience and advice with a grain of salt. You will be more comfortable with a nice half ton. Get a crew cab with 4 wheel drive, canopy and bed rug and you won't miss the SUV, plus be better equipped to handle the variety of terrain out west.

Quick Reply: towing open trailer with bmw x5d