Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche considering manual option for 991 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by P_collector
lets see about that ..if more and more people are aware about the 991 GT3 crap.. At first I was angry that Porsche didnt offer a manual anymore..now I´m thinking for 997 Gt owners the situation couldnt be better.. - no GT3 with motorsport pedigree anymore - no manual anymore - worldwide coverage on 991 GT3 flaws..first delays for 6 month + fire.. all in all - this is very good news for 997 GT owners..it couldnt be better. Thank you Porsche..youre just destroying the GT3 name right now..but the good news is that 991 GT3 owners will suffer from it..not 997 GT owners, therefore, I dont want a manual 991 GT3 anymore and Im sure Porsche will not build one anymore. Long live the manual 997 GT cars..

Shhhhhhh....

Better keep your voice down on that one....

The above is totally not true!!! Better all of you start dumping cheap your 997 GT cars and buy the new bling that is faster and better.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
The car has far more universal appeal to a mass market... no one under the age of 30 is complaining about PDK only or 20 inch rims or centerlocks... they are jerking off on forza to N-ring times while their options appreciate... or while their app gains traction... or whatever. Then they are getting a GT3... missing the point that the gt3 legend was created by the 996 and 997.1 and 997.2 lineage which was based on the cup blah blah blah... the next big group of buyers does not seem to really care about any of that and even if they did, what choice do they have?
I don't even own an Xbox....but...

You're right, I don't care about PDK-only (because it's better), the 20in wheels (because they allow a bigger OD with a larger contact patch and better bump absorption), or the centerlocks (because they look damn cool...well, maybe they are a pain in the *** after all).

Technology marches on - if you like your older technology - continue to drive your older 911. That simple.

Can you imagine 50 years ago someone complaining about the latest, so called, "driver's cars?"

"...you can even put the throttle to the floor coming out of turns without flooding the engine with fuel!"
"Preposterous - these new cars drive themselves!"
Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

hey, be easy on the under 30 crowd!

they will get the fire stuff sorted out... its the attainable halo car in a way the 918 is not...
once they sort it out, it will whip some *** at the ring and people will be in the 991GT3 forum talking about how great the double paddle pull is the easiest clutch kick they have ever done and how RWS makes it so controllable blah blah blah

as a wise man told me -- the silicon valley guys will gobble them all up... they will finally be able to go "gtr fast" and not have to be in a Nissan.

The car has far more universal appeal to a mass market... no one under the age of 30 is complaining about PDK only or 20 inch rims or centerlocks... they are jerking off on forza to N-ring times while their options appreciate... or while their app gains traction... or whatever. Then they are getting a GT3... missing the point that the gt3 legend was created by the 996 and 997.1 and 997.2 lineage which was based on the cup blah blah blah... the next big group of buyers does not seem to really care about any of that and even if they did, what choice do they have?

when Porsche pulls the manual trans that AP said was integral to the gt3 experience... you know the manual trans is dead within Porsche.

I am glad Porsche held out as long as they did...
buy a 4.0RS
it is the 911R of 2035
Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you Porsche..you're just destroying the GT3 name right now
Agree P Collector. The 991 GT3 is super quick with an improved suspension - but lacks the motorsport connection. Wonder if they ever considered keeping the Mezger engine for the 991 GT3? Probably too costly.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Agree P Collector. The 991 GT3 is super quick with an improved suspension - but lacks the motorsport connection. Wonder if they ever considered keeping the Mezger engine for the 991 GT3? Probably too costly.
Porsche will release some news this week..hold your breath I can only say. In a few months things might look differently...but lets see..
Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Was more an emissions problem no?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Serge944

Can you imagine 50 years ago someone complaining about the latest, so called, "driver's cars?"

"...you can even put the throttle to the floor coming out of turns without flooding the engine with fuel!"
"Preposterous - these new cars drive themselves!"
Well..my father owns a few oldtimers...any GT3 is more of a "drivers car" then any of his 40-50 years old cars (even the Porsches from the time)...probably even a 991 GT3 is more of a drivers car compared to a beetle with 50HP from 1975...but its just more a digital driver experience.

Most journalists say that the F40 is the best "drivers car"..and is the car 50 years old?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

F40 is not 50 years old... It was current 1989-1991, if I recall correctly.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

when Porsche pulls the manual trans that AP said was integral to the gt3 experience... you know the manual trans is dead within Porsche.

I am glad Porsche held out as long as they did...
buy a 4.0RS
it is the 911R of 2035
Im under 30 and I hate the PDK. I pulled my deposit on the GT3 because I refuse to own one without a manual trans.

Ill be on the hunt for a .2 GT3RS soon enough.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
the 20in wheels (because they allow a bigger OD with a larger contact patch and better bump absorption)
Wheel diameter has absolutely nothing to do with contact patch size or shape.

20" wheels are also inferior for bump absorption as they require less sidewall size to maintain the same tire outer diameter.

Mark
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Mark, Think you may need to research contact patch and wheel size. Serge is correct there...
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Was more an emissions problem no?
In one of the very first interviews with AP about the new 991 GT3, EVO Magazine asked that question point blank. AP's answer was clear: The Mezger is a low-production motor that costs too much to continue using for a low volume car such as the GT3. I have no reason to doubt that he was being truthful.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowside67
Wheel diameter has absolutely nothing to do with contact patch size or shape.

20" wheels are also inferior for bump absorption as they require less sidewall size to maintain the same tire outer diameter.

Mark
Ok - I don't disagree with your statement since you are holding overall tire diameter constant.

If you hold tire aspect ratio constant, a larger wheel yields a larger overall tire diameter. This allows the engineers to 1. maintain adequate ride (as you point out, as sidewall height approaches zero, so does compliance) 2. sidewall stiffness (whatever response characteristics they require for optimal handling) 3. maintain required aesthetics (because huge sidewalls are ugly and modern sports cars will not have them, even if F1 donated their tire tech).
Old 02-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
^^^Mark, Think you may need to research contact patch and wheel size. Serge is correct there...
LOL...I don't think so...
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
In one of the very first interviews with AP about the new 991 GT3, EVO Magazine asked that question point blank. AP's answer was clear: The Mezger is a low-production motor that costs too much to continue using for a low volume car such as the GT3. I have no reason to doubt that he was being truthful.
I have read that the only reason Porsche even agreed to build the GT3 street car with a Mezger was because the Mezger engine would also be shared with the Turbo, thereby distributing the costs. The Turbo makes up the vast majority of water-cooled Mezger cars sold.

Now that the Turbo has been DFI-powered since 2010, it doesn't make any financial sense to produce a single model (GT3) of a thousand or so annual production units, with an entirely unique drivetrain.

Porsche hasn't lost touch with it's roots - it's just economics.

Quick Reply: Porsche considering manual option for 991 RS