GT3RS classic clone

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
cdnewt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS classic clone

Hi all.

First post... but have been considering this for a while.

I currently own a 2011 911 turbo with a host of mods... and a 2010 458 Italia. I love the 458, but I think I'm starting to realize I'm more of a Porsche guy... so the 458 might be up for swaps...

I've toyed with the idea of doing a Singer 911 build, as I love the classic lines and styles of early 911s... But I always come back to the fact I want a car with current safety systems,.... ABS, stability/traction control, air bags... so on.

Given that, it occurred to me. Why not do what Singer is doing, but to a much more recent car. Instead of reimagining the best of the air cooled era, the 964... why not reimagine the best of the manual-tranny, Metzger engined, cars... the 2011 997 GT3 RS.

While I love the GT3 RS... I dont want a car that looks like it is only suited for the track. In addition, the ground clearance and approach angles of the gt3 just won't work where I live, and that massive rear wing just isn't useful for the speeds I'll be using the car at.

So, given all that... I'd love a GT3 RS that has the body of the Porsche Sport Classic...

It'd take some new bits...

- center lock to 5 lug conversion (or Fuchs new CL fuchs wheels).
- fuchs wheels
- getty design duck tail
- painted side skirts
- euro spec rear bumper without the NA "bumperettes"
- speedster front nose...
- gt3rs fender extensions (molded to the speedster nose)
.... lots of other misc bits...

Champion seems to have pulled off a similar project with a c4

http://www.champion-motors.com/web/u...orida/1082725/

anyone have any thoughts on the a recommended shop that could do this work?

also, any issues you see with fitment of any of these parts?

Can anyone point me at a similar project that has been done to a gt3rs?

thanks very much
Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I do not think you truely understand the GT3 or grasp the concept of it.. (It is based on the Cup race car model whereas a Sport classic is based on a street car model).

The idea of a GT3 is to be efficient (which typically race cars are all about first vs. street style)

You would be better off doing a sport classic theme on your turbo.

Dont get me wrong, a sport classic is a beautiful car and would be nice to have a Mezger engine in it to be an uber retro 997/911, but to take a GT3 and strip it down to carrera aero standards and fancy wheels would be going in the wrong direction.
It would be like clipping the car's *****. It wouldnt make it better. It would only make it slower and that is not what modifying is about.

The Whole idea of the GT3 dates back to the 73RS and all the other RS models that followed there after.

The best looking RS models over time have all be simplified with little to no interior, good seats, roll bar and harnesses.
All factory parts and looking original.
The timeless way to dress a 997GT3 would be to install factory CGT seats, Clubsport roll bar, tuned exhaust and dialed suspension for a perfect stance.
Radio delete would be even better!

Sport classic clones are better left to the C2 and C4 carreras… I have thought about it.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 AM
cdnewt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I most certainly understand what it's about... I also understand all the aero bits are useless on the street at any speeds that I wouldn't get arrested for. And y track days are limited to cone-based courses... not high-speed tracks, so no use there either....

So, I disagree it would make it slower for my purposes. In fact, I'd argue... faster. Around here, the crazy max approach angles of the gt3 (~5.5% or something like that) and nose ground clearance would make for some big issues.

Also, I do understand the benefit of light weight. My intention is to replace the front fenders with gt2 rs styled carbon fiber fenders (so that the extensions are blended in). The duck tail would be no heavier, and likely lighter than the whole contraption on the back of the RS by default. I also plan to drop the roll cage, lighter battery, ...

The wheels may add some weight, and thats the only real area of my concern... spinning mass and all that.

I definitely understand a gt3... but maybe you didn't understand my intentions. I want a pure drivers car, as light weight as I can make it, that has classic styling.

cheers
Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

That actually sounds like a pretty cool project considering you're planning to do it with top quality/lightweight parts. The RS purists won't care for it, but no denying it would be a pretty cool finished project if you started with such high caliber DNA.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

A GT3 built totally for the street.

Would be better off using a DFI carrera as the base.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Great idea.

I always thought Porsche should just offer mix-and-match.

Speedster with GT3RS drivetrain? No problem. Turbo Targa? Our pleasure. GT2RS engine in a Cayman? Why didn't we thing of that?...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Or you could do this but with a ducktail. Kinda like a RWB 964 but with a 997TT:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rbo-rsr-page-3
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you been to Singers facility? One look at their builds and you will want and want very badly.

I say you use an older chassis and put the 3.8 RS engine and drivetrain. Now that would be sweet.. I'm sure it's been done already. I'm a noob in the p-car world.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 PM
zipcar
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy another OEM rear lid and remove the uprights and fiberglass the openings. You can switch back to the winged lid with four bolts. Or you could buy a Sport Classic http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=499
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zipcar
Buy another OEM rear lid and remove the uprights and fiberglass the openings. You can switch back to the winged lid with four bolts. Or you could buy a Sport Classic http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=499
Argh I wish I'd bought a Cream White 997.2 GT3 when I had the chance...
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Total911_GT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I do not think you truely understand the GT3 or grasp the concept of it.. (It is based on the Cup race car model whereas a Sport classic is based on a street car model).

The idea of a GT3 is to be efficient (which typically race cars are all about first vs. street style)

You would be better off doing a sport classic theme on your turbo.

Dont get me wrong, a sport classic is a beautiful car and would be nice to have a Mezger engine in it to be an uber retro 997/911, but to take a GT3 and strip it down to carrera aero standards and fancy wheels would be going in the wrong direction.
It would be like clipping the car's *****. It wouldnt make it better. It would only make it slower and that is not what modifying is about.

The Whole idea of the GT3 dates back to the 73RS and all the other RS models that followed there after.

The best looking RS models over time have all be simplified with little to no interior, good seats, roll bar and harnesses.
All factory parts and looking original.
The timeless way to dress a 997GT3 would be to install factory CGT seats, Clubsport roll bar, tuned exhaust and dialed suspension for a perfect stance.
Radio delete would be even better!

Sport classic clones are better left to the C2 and C4 carreras… I have thought about it.

I like your answer. I just wrote an article on both generations of the 997GT3RS in the latest issue of Total 911 magazine. The Gen 1 is an awesome car and personifies what the RS is all about.

Quick Reply: GT3RS classic clone