Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohlins

hi i have a 997 gt3 3.6 i'd like to change suspension with ohlins anybody of you has experience and track time feedback? thank you for now
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by marco911gt3
hi i have a 997 gt3 3.6 i'd like to change suspension with ohlins anybody of you has experience and track time feedback? thank you for now
Which setup, TTX or DFV (road and track)? Spyerx has the DFV, and I am having the same setup installed next week. Ohlins just lowered the price on the DFV setup, $3100 for a fantastic single adjustable shock. Good dual purpose spring rates of 500/800#, although I recommend swapping to Swift springs.

A few ballers here have the TTX setup, which I'm sure is amazing, but too rich for my blood.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

Hi for sure dfv but here in italy they has same price of 3way moton or other setup like kw.
I think also i can change my gt3 with a .2rs in next 6 months and i'd like use setup also.
I think one way is better for find the correct setup. Have you the performance increase in second with this dfv compare to stock? Why you change the spring on this Ohlins ?
Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

99% of folks can't tune the dampers correctly. whether it's lack of expertise on track or lack of a chassis dyno or proper budget. In my view the single adjustable or non-adjustable dampers would be better suited. Ohlins TTX is way too expensive and good for my abilities, if i were to upgrade I would be going for bilsteins or the DFV ohlins.

are swift springs stiffer? what's the rating?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:21 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Which setup, TTX or DFV (road and track)? Spyerx has the DFV, and I am having the same setup installed next week. Ohlins just lowered the price on the DFV setup, $3100 for a fantastic single adjustable shock. Good dual purpose spring rates of 500/800#, although I recommend swapping to Swift springs.

A few ballers here have the TTX setup, which I'm sure is amazing, but too rich for my blood.
Where on the shock do they adjust (DFV)? Do they disable the PASM? Also, how do they compare to the Bilstein Clubsports?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 AM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

Yes the problem is find right setting . When i use race car i have my team with engeneer and dima and everythink on road car you must find the correct balance for road ,track .rain .sun ecc and you must change setting in 10 minutes and he quality of hardwere must be the must. My ask is if ohlins are better quality rhan others
Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I have have the DFV. The TTX are great, super-high quality engineering, and in addition to being multi adjustable the adjustment ***** are accessible easily from wheel well. They are also expensive and the spring rates they come with stock are really aggressive for the street (they are more for track than track/street), and for me, they provide too many variables to tweak. I'm not racing, just canyons and HPDE.

The single adjustable Ohlin DFV, I have a 550/700 springs (IIRC) and are single adjustable, shop set them up, I don't touch them. The adjustment ***** are not as easy to get to, on the fronts you an turn wheel full lock and get to the **** on the bottom of the shock, under the wheel carrier. On the rear its on top of shock, which means you need to reach through the scaffolding in the back to get to them. Bit of a PITA. I do like my suspension setup the way it is, car is so much better (for me) than stock.

Marco, you mention racing... so I'd go with what your shop/team suggest and know, and can get easily serviced. Ohlin are great shocks, there are others too.

USC: The only shocks I'm aware of that keep the PASM is the clubsports. Don't know how they compare other than shop suspension guy was lukewarm on them compared to Ohilin.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

i ask my team but they hasn't experience on street cars only race car. This is my drive in a circuit near my home i need to go 2 sec faster for beat 458 italia.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I have have the DFV. The TTX are great, super-high quality engineering, and in addition to being multi adjustable the adjustment ***** are accessible easily from wheel well. They are also expensive and the spring rates they come with stock are really aggressive for the street (they are more for track than track/street), and for me, they provide too many variables to tweak. I'm not racing, just canyons and HPDE.

The single adjustable Ohlin DFV, I have a 550/700 springs (IIRC) and are single adjustable, shop set them up, I don't touch them. The adjustment ***** are not as easy to get to, on the fronts you an turn wheel full lock and get to the **** on the bottom of the shock, under the wheel carrier. On the rear its on top of shock, which means you need to reach through the scaffolding in the back to get to them. Bit of a PITA. I do like my suspension setup the way it is, car is so much better (for me) than stock.

Marco, you mention racing... so I'd go with what your shop/team suggest and know, and can get easily serviced. Ohlin are great shocks, there are others too.

USC: The only shocks I'm aware of that keep the PASM is the clubsports. Don't know how they compare other than shop suspension guy was lukewarm on them compared to Ohilin.
Another option would be to have Bilstein re-value the OEM shocks (since they are local) to match the spring rate on Swift springs and monoball shock tower mounts.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Another option would be to have Bilstein re-valve the OEM shocks (since they are local) to match the spring rate on Swift springs and monoball shock tower mounts.
Bingo!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

imo, get the shocks that are sold by your trusted local shop. No matter how good the hardwares are, they are useless if not set up correctly.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 830 Posts

I have had clients with both Ohlins suspensions, and both are very good. Finding a good coach to help get the set-up right very quickly is key, IMO.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

i'm coach but i haven't experience on suspension after market on street car i only know race car
Old 02-03-2014, 11:06 AM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

usually i'm coaching people with m3 or 911 but stock car
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM
exacc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting the R&T DFV for an E46 M3...heard really good reviews about the system, and a friend who swears by them, just bought one for a 997.2 Turbo...which disables PASM. From what I understand, the DFV is what makes it have its dual personality that is needed on the street and track. You can adjust it to be stiff, but when the road becomes rough, the DFV opens up and allows the shock to respond quicker, and stops your tires from hopping and losing grip.

Quick Reply: ohlins