Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Laguna Seca 90db Update Requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for all of your help. I'll spend some time and take the Sharkwerks center section off and put the stock one back on. I don't agree about Laguna Seca not being much fun. I have been running it since before they put the two infield corners in, and I still like it.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gvtesse
You lose 4-6 seconds by having to lift through 5-6? I lost about 0.8 seconds last time I measured. It didn't seem to impact the run up to the corkscrew that much.

I definitely won't make any effort to pass 90db and may even stop going to 92db days as well. Ridiculous...
I have an aftermarket exhaust. I could be doing it wrong. I cruise going into turn 5 in 4th gear at 3800 rpm, all the way pass the bridge without touching the throttle, after the bridge shift to 3rd then wot up 6 up the hill. I'm entering 6 at 70mph vs when i didnt have the sound issue i was going 86 through that turn...I most likely will not return to LS. I have only done LS 2 times in the past 3 years.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

looking forward to seeing you doug
whose LS event you going?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
looking forward to seeing you doug
whose LS event you going?
Hooked on Driving. David and his group are willing to accomodate me when a snowstorm prevents me from attending. It would be great to see you also.

By the way, turn 5 in 4th gear, or short shifting between 5 and 6 is not an option. Everyone passes you when you do that, and it's too much work to repass everybody after that, just to repeat it again the next lap.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
All the drivers need to start hounding the City Council and show how much money drivers spend when they are in town. Then explain to Council how much lost revenue there will be if everyone goes away. All the whining homeowners that moved close and then complain can suck it. I live 2000 meters down range from a gun range. I knew it when I moved here. If the range has been there forever, but neighbors complain and there are homes going in WAY closer. The LS local homeowners are a bunch of asses.

Unless the drivers are the ones raising hell to City Council, only the homeowners side gets heard. They need 100 drivers show up to one meeting and all exercise their time to speak which is typically 3 minutes.
I always love going down to Monterey, when?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc

By the way, turn 5 in 4th gear, or short shifting between 5 and 6 is not an option. Everyone passes you when you do that, and it's too much work to repass everybody after that, just to repeat it again the next lap.
Correct. Very annoying. I had Miatas pass me between 5-6 due to this. Embarrassing.

If you lap a low/mid/high 1:30 lap time at seca ... and you pass all the 140's guy in that particular lap- who do not have a sound issue. Be prepared to give them the point by between 5-7(or stop catching them up), re pass them the following lap only keep doing the same annoying thing over and over. Very annoying.

When i was there in December for a 92 db day, there was a new 991 C2S ...i would get right on the guys tail right at turn 5. He would go into the distance between 5-7, only to re-catch him up again at 5. Then again going into the distance. Wash, rinse, dry, repeat- every lap...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love driving on the track as much as the next guy and as you can tell from my previous posts how hard I work to beating the sound restriction with various valve tricks. After driving at LS for the past 5+ years I came to realize this is one track that careless about it's patrons. Every year the sound restriction get worst and worst and now 90 db on a racing surface! That's quieter than most freeway.

I seen people blow up their exhaust system and burn or melt their rear bumpers and dropping exhaust parts all over the track just to pass sound. If you violet the sound restriction you get a major talk to and the track official has gone as far as threatening to call the local police on participant just for sound infraction. How does that make you feel?

I have decided I am done with Laguna Seca. I do not care to contribute to a track that treat their customers like crap and I am very happy to take my money to Thunderhill and support their awesome track expansion. Thunderhill CEO will listen if you have legitimate concerns and always willing to work with you to make things better - now try that Mr Laguna Seca for a change
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^ because of u they repaved/flatten the ditch at exit of t8. Many a car have rolled over if u go sideways spin. I was lucky I went backwards instead of sideways. Cannot wait til th west track opens up this year. Mike
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^ because of u they repaved/flatten the ditch at exit of t8. Many a car have rolled over if u go sideways spin. I was lucky I went backwards instead of sideways. Cannot wait til th west track opens up this year. Mike
Yup, I email Thunderhill CEO and told him T8 is very dangerous because of the dip on the right hand side and if you go off track and catch the dip then you are gone - we are talking about multiple rolls. One month later the right side of T8 was paved flat. He also responded to my concern about couple rude track works and it has improved for the better. Now that's a place I am happy to spend my money
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow they actually listen to feedback and make changes? I hope to see you at thill this season as it is becoming one of my favorites.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kormaster
Wow they actually listen to feedback and make changes? I hope to see you at thill this season as it is becoming one of my favorites.
yeah, they were great. I had alot of concern about T8 after one of my friend did a multiple roll in the air and lucky to survive the crash. I had to say something and really glad they took it seriously and make the track safer
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
i got blacked flagged. Car only has fabspeed center muffler.

I did NOT activate the sport exhaust to open valves- and got a 91.8 at 3800 rpm.

I had to throw away going into turn 5 all the way up to the bridge. Every lap. Screws everything up - till the corkscrew.
I agree with the sentiment associated with the track being there first; but we have all seen how encroaching communities have been successful in closing down what they see as nuisances - even longstanding raceways and airports. Not only rich and influential homeowners, but there is a ton of persistent development money behind them, too.

I am glad we drove Laguna Seca last year; for me it was a once in a lifetime experience to drive it in my car, with my buddies from the DC area. We had four cars get black flagged at 92dB, so even more would likely have been flagged at 90dB, and some of our tricks might no longer be effective.

My RSA was black flagged on my third lap; I wasn't even on the gas yet. After the first day I was disenchanted; I wondered if I had built the track up too much in my mind. But on the second day I realized that every day, every session, I have to assess and drive to the conditions; be it cold, wet or wind, etc., I had to find a away to deal with it. The condition being presented to me was to soft pedal past the sound hut, then enjoy the rest of the circuit! Then I liked the track, a lot!

As for where to soften the throttle, it was really a short section: from a seam across the track after Turn 5 exit to the bridge. I found that I could stay full on the gas through Turn 5 and to track out, then short shift and lift to mid throttle to the bridge, then back on the gas. In fact, my entry to Turn 6 wasn't terribly affected because I still had to brake and downshift. Even though it is an uphill section and it certainly compromised best possible lap times, no one passed me between Turn 5 and Corkscrew.

As for not pressing the Sport sound button which bypasses the side mufflers below 4k RPM; once the side mufflers have been deleted, by definition they have been bypassed. ;-) For reference, my buddy with a 997.1GT3 with full stock exhaust and downturned/angled tips tried plugging the vacuum line to see if he could pass sound under throttle, and he could, but the reduction of power on the rest of the track was noticeable, so he opted to leave them bypassed and just moderate the noise in that one section.

Good luck; drive to the conditions presented and enjoy it while you can!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

this is why I just buy a 996gt3 and go at it.
stop wasting time discussing things u can it chg
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
this is why I just buy a 996gt3 and go at it.
stop wasting time discussing things u can it chg
The 996 GT3 is quieter than the 997 GT3??? I thought you could only pass 90db with a boxster or cayman?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

If stock exhaust on 6gt3 no problema. Stock car on street michelins did 1:39. Had fab muffler and catbypass on v710's and got nailed for sound managed 1:45 : ( since I had to lift by sound station. Had to point a lot of people by. It was a joke. Will never do a ls event again. Sp/thill for me. Mike

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca 90db Update Requested