Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

C7 Vette 2:23 Sebring on its factory Data Logger

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL

I should of known better than to say anything was faster than a p car on a p car forum but hey I at least said it's a joy to drive
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, all fun
retired now, driving 964 RSA at 2.26 at Sebring... only 11 sec and change slower than the RS, but as much fun, that's for sure.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
LOL, all fun
retired now, driving 964 RSA at 2.26 at Sebring... only 11 sec and change slower than the RS, but as much fun, that's for sure.
I bet it's fun to drive
Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanna would have to post his fast lap, I don't think it's on YouTube
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
LOL, all fun
retired now, driving 964 RSA at 2.26 at Sebring...
Wow...now I can finally follow you on the track. LOL
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
LOL

I should of known better than to say anything was faster than a p car on a p car forum but hey I at least said it's a joy to drive
No, we know there are fast cars that aren't Porsches. That is freely acknowledged here. But to suggest driving a Porsche is for enjoyment only and not speed or that if you want to go fast you would have a vette/viper instead of a Porsche is nonsense.

I think I've heard of the Weber guy. What were his times at VIR?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
No, we know there are fast cars that aren't Porsches. That is freely acknowledged here. But to suggest driving a Porsche is for enjoyment only and not speed or that if you want to go fast you would have a vette/viper instead of a Porsche is nonsense.

I think I've heard of the Weber guy. What were his times at VIR?
OK I'll bite and post some more BS on a p car forum and then get torched.........I have thick skin hehe

To me fast is relative and sure a GT3 is a very fast car but if you want to go REALLY REALLY fast it won't happen in a p car unless it's a cup or like you in a GT2 which would come with a huge investment and possibly won't be as reliable BUT you'll have more fun driving Vipers, vettes, and GTRs will go fast out of the box and very fast with less help than is required to make a 911 relatively fast if you match dollars to dollars it won't even be a semi close race even in your GT2.

With out searching I don't have a clue what Mike runs at VIR but at the last TT I did he ran a 1.17 at SPR so it's likely a low 2 or sub two at VIR. Don't forget about the guys like Mark Nunnally in TTA running low 2 minute laps (2.015 in stripped C5s with nothing but some susp bits and a cage (30k invested). Not a lot of p cars run in time trials because they are SLOW compared to the competition.

AGAIN I'm not saying GT3s aren't FAST I'll repeat if you want to go REALLY FAST I'd recommend a vette or viper if money is a concern if not drive whatever you want because $$$$$ will make anything fast.

YMMV but in my world the only quick/FAST GT3s are either cups or the mods come close to cup levels but simply put on some susp bits, a wing, some brakes and coilovers and a c6 will out match the GT3 look at any of the mag reviews and the vette and viper are faster than the GT3 so with all due respect there's no reason to argue whether a vette or viper is the better choice to go FAST!

PS I love GT3s, next to my RX7 they are the most fun to drive and that's what it's all about for me but sooner or later I will likely be driving a vette or a viper because I'm competitive (wish I could afford/justify a cup) and as long as Porsche continues down the path they are on you'll see less and less of them on track and more and more vettes, camaros, vipers, mustangs, GTRs etc....

Lets face it Porsche is going soft and the comp is stepping up their track game so cheers to GM
Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
OK I'll bite and post some more BS on a p car forum and then get torched.........I have thick skin hehe

To me fast is relative and sure a GT3 is a very fast car but if you want to go REALLY REALLY fast it won't happen in a p car unless it's a cup or like you in a GT2 which would come with a huge investment and possibly won't be as reliable BUT you'll have more fun driving Vipers, vettes, and GTRs will go fast out of the box and very fast with less help than is required to make a 911 relatively fast if you match dollars to dollars it won't even be a semi close race even in your GT2.

With out searching I don't have a clue what Mike runs at VIR but at the last TT I did he ran a 1.17 at SPR so it's likely a low 2 or sub two at VIR. Don't forget about the guys like Mark Nunnally in TTA running low 2 minute laps (2.015 in stripped C5s with nothing but some susp bits and a cage (30k invested). Not a lot of p cars run in time trials because they are SLOW compared to the competition.

AGAIN I'm not saying GT3s aren't FAST I'll repeat if you want to go REALLY FAST I'd recommend a vette or viper if money is a concern if not drive whatever you want because $$$$$ will make anything fast.

YMMV but in my world the only quick/FAST GT3s are either cups or the mods come close to cup levels but simply put on some susp bits, a wing, some brakes and coilovers and a c6 will out match the GT3 look at any of the mag reviews and the vette and viper are faster than the GT3 so with all due respect there's no reason to argue whether a vette or viper is the better choice to go FAST!

PS I love GT3s, next to my RX7 they are the most fun to drive and that's what it's all about for me but sooner or later I will likely be driving a vette or a viper because I'm competitive (wish I could afford/justify a cup) and as long as Porsche continues down the path they are on you'll see less and less of them on track and more and more vettes, camaros, vipers, mustangs, GTRs etc....

Lets face it Porsche is going soft and the comp is stepping up their track game so cheers to GM

Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

The 2015 Corvette 2015 is fast out of the box doing 2:23 @ Sebring. But it is a V8....

2007-2008 GT3 Porsches with toe links and R tires are doing the same lap times but are 7 years older....
2010-2012 GT3 Porsches with R tires are in the 2:17 range.

2008+GT2 are even lower lap times again.

No question the vette is strong and for half the money of the 911.

But have you ever tried living with a Viper or a Vette?

My GT3 has driven across country twice, raced a week long tarmac rally three times and still pounds tracks days whenever possible. Been very comfortable doing all these things in the car. Couldnt say that about my Viper.... But then again, the GT3 is twice the price....
Old 12-28-2014, 10:32 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Some people are still under the impression that c6z's are cheap to mod. Thats laughable. I see c6z's with more money in them than my car almost every weekend. 150- 200k vette builds are everywhere. Especially after you build the motor once or twice. I have multiple friends with 200-300k builds on C5 and C6.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:27 AM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanna911
I have multiple friends with 200-300k builds on C5 and C6.
Your friends are getting robbed.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:56 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Your friends are getting robbed.
You have no idea what cars I'm talking about. I'd like to see you have one built at a reputable tuner for less with what the cars have on them. Car included.

Not to mention, every one of them has blown a motor at some point. Some have blown built motors.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:12 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They definitely put a ton of money into them out this way
Old 12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

Lap times are lap times, you can drop a V8 in a miata and go faster than plenty of cars. However, for me, the constant "managing" of the rear weight in a GT3 is the most fun and rewarding driving experience I've ever had.

Until you've had enough seat time to wheel a GT3 around a track at a respectable pace, you simply don't have a clue as to why so many people love 911's. It's also why you see guys still TT'ing 911's, because there are certainly faster, less expensive options, that are easier to drive quickly.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlarocque
^^
That Vette looks mean!

Very close at the top of the field, should make for a great race.

The C7 is, indeed, very fast. But every time I see one on the road I just think it looks like a transformer. I might be in the minority but I like the looks of the C6 Z06/ZR1 cars much better... cleaner lines.
I get the Transformer hint because of the rear-end, to me it looks like the back of the new Vette should have been on the newer Camaro instead. I just wish they would offer the diffuser and black bits on the back the same color as the car.

GM was for sure aiming for the clouds with this Vette. Are the Seats Recaro and an option like in the CTS-V?

I couldn't imagine driving across North America in a Viper. The Viper has to be one of the most uncomfortable cars manufactured in the US! Though it's intentions are obvious once you climb in the car and get situated. From the get go it keeps you in your place where you sit.

I haven't had the pleasure of sitting in the new Vette yet but it looks like their is more room inside but it's obvious GM has brought the Interior up to snuff and didn't design it like it was the Chevy Cruze. Also they are proud of the fact that if the material looks like something, like Leather or Aluminum, they aren't using Faux Material which even Porsche does from time to time. It's obvious GM took the Hints from the world performance car press that the previous Vette's interior was crap when compared to it's world contemporaries. Which only benefited the C7's design.

I would, in the future, see Telemetry options so anyone can see how your friend is driving and how the car is performing. An add on option to what the manufacturer's offer. Of course you can acquire full aftermarket systems which are generally expensive and cater to the pro racing market.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 01-02-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 Vette 2:23 Sebring on its factory Data Logger