Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

C7 Vette 2:23 Sebring on its factory Data Logger

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

NightRaceBlue should hide a lot of ugliness, lowered, wheels, harness bar 2LT black inside all the go faster options for 65K, first year quality troubles fixed; I'm in.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fender shows supercharged?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
The fender shows supercharged?
That is correct. It's going to be a supercharged LT4 6.2 with around 620hp/650 torque.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh well, maybe the grand sport will have the 7liter NA v8.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I agree the miata is a super fun car to drive for all the reasons the corvette isn't .

Again I'm not a fan of the corvette or GTR driving experience but LOVE the #s the cars are able to achieve and a C5 or C6 corvette is a beast on track and I expect the C7 to be even better.

I've instructed for a while now and have lots of exp in various sports car and trust me they are not all the same by a long shot.

PS oops just saw you are also an instructor so disregard my last statement apparently you would know what various cars feel like and seem to enjoy them all equally.
I agree with you that I do love the connect feel a Porsche gives...go kart like. I know a stock Vette feel a little more disconnected but I've never driven a Z06 so maybe they do feel more connected. I do want to seriously check out the new C7 though.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Why would a Vette not be fun to drive? Same thing for most any sports car on the track...even though a Miata is slow I know plenty of people that have a blast with a slow car, inexpensive car.
I just did the Skip Barber 3 day school. Those MX-5 cars are really fun. I could see why this platform is so popular.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
fritz meet waana, wanna meet fritz lol
I'd like to meet the whole FL gang

Originally Posted by wanna911
Is your car fast?
NO because I don't own a vette LOL.

I agree with you that I do love the connect feel a Porsche gives...go kart like. I know a stock Vette feel a little more disconnected but I've never driven a Z06 so maybe they do feel more connected. I do want to seriously check out the new C7 though.
I've ridden in every kind of vette (from t1 cars to ZR1s) and driven some on the street. Not much feel so not as much fun as my GT3 or RX7 but FAST!!!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Well, you know the secret handshake..
Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, Z06 is still disconnected. The throttle response, steering feel, seats, brakes, sounds are all not nearly on the same level with a GT3.

But man it's flat and stable in the corners, and not a lot of drama. Pleasant to drive, easy to control and correct. Just does not have the "feel" of a GT3. But I don't know what actually does to be honest, maybe a lotus? The Z06 just adds speed so smoothly and quickly. Still easy to make it do what you want. I still thought about buying one when I got out. I just don't trust the LS7 to handle what I'll do to it.

I don't think the C7 will be different in that regard, at least, to the level of a GT3. Because the majority guys who buy the car are still older and need/want a more plush ride. It's just fast. Period. That's the mindset you take into a Corvette.

I'd like to meet the whole FL gang

NO because I don't own a vette LOL.

I've ridden in every kind of vette (from t1 cars to ZR1s) and driven some on the street. Not much feel so not as much fun as my GT3 or RX7 but FAST!!!!!
I think maybe you haven't experienced some of the fast guys in GT3's and other Porsche's, but they are out there. Quite a few of them actually. For the hp and torque they put out, I don't see anything faster. Certainly way faster than just having "fun".
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Nope, Z06 is still disconnected. The throttle response, steering feel, seats, brakes, sounds are all not nearly on the same level with a GT3.

But man it's flat and stable in the corners, and not a lot of drama. Pleasant to drive, easy to control and correct. Just does not have the "feel" of a GT3. But I don't know what actually does to be honest, maybe a lotus? The Z06 just adds speed so smoothly and quickly. Still easy to make it do what you want. I still thought about buying one when I got out. I just don't trust the LS7 to handle what I'll do to it.

I don't think the C7 will be different in that regard, at least, to the level of a GT3. Because the majority guys who buy the car are still older and need/want a more plush ride. It's just fast. Period. That's the mindset you take into a Corvette.

I think maybe you haven't experienced some of the fast guys in GT3's and other Porsche's, but they are out there. Quite a few of them actually. For the hp and torque they put out, I don't see anything faster. Certainly way faster than just having "fun".
It's clear to me you haven't experienced fast guys in vipers and vettes

The only p car guys I know are the fast guys lol IE clarke and ryan

Here's a vid at SPR (I'm running 1.18s there) with a FAST vette ( was lucky and won by about 1 second (1.185) but he beat me later in the year by .5 seconds with a 1.17.9 ) The only p cars running 17s at SPR are cup cars but lots of corvettes and vipers going faster.

Here's a vid running with some PCA guys at VIR. It's a low 2 minute car there. Only P cars running sub 2 minute laps are cups but lots of vette and viper running sub 2s.

Just click on the title of that 1st vid to go directly to youtube. Yellow vette that passes me is the one I was competing against some other cars in TT2 but he's the one to beat. It's a TT so I'm creating some space after he passed me.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fritz wanna has you by about 8sec in his porsche and its not a cup car
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
fritz wanna has you by about 8sec in his porsche and its not a cup car
That's extraordinary for sure and I would love to see the 1.55 vir vid

It's not that extraordinary to see or hear of a vette or viper in the mid to upper 50s but again I don't know of any p cars that run sub 2s other than cups so all I can do is call them like I see them.

No doubt a high HP GT2 should run some very fast laps and that's likely what wanna drives so as he said I guess I just haven't experienced any fast porsches and hopefully wanna will be at VIR sometime when I'm there so I can witness some decent porsche speed
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that extraordinary to see or hear of a vette or viper in the mid to upper 50s but again I don't know of any p cars that run sub 2s other than cups so all I can do is call them like I see them.

No doubt a high HP GT2 should run some very fast laps and that's likely what wanna drives so as he said I guess I just haven't experienced any fast porsches and hopefully wanna will be at VIR sometime when I'm there so I can witness some decent porsche speed
It's clear to me you haven't experienced fast guys in vipers and vettes

The only p car guys I know are the fast guys lol IE clarke and ryan

Here's a vid at SPR (I'm running 1.18s there) with a FAST vette ( was lucky and won by about 1 second (1.185) but he beat me later in the year by .5 seconds with a 1.17.9 ) The only p cars running 17s at SPR are cup cars but lots of corvettes and vipers going faster.

NASA Summit Point Raceway 4-26-13 Spring Rumble TT2 1.185 - YouTube

Here's a vid running with some PCA guys at VIR. It's a low 2 minute car there. Only P cars running sub 2 minute laps are cups but lots of vette and viper running sub 2s.

2:03 on VIR Full FSR PCA 5/19/12 - YouTube

Just click on the title of that 1st vid to go directly to youtube. Yellow vette that passes me is the one I was competing against some other cars in TT2 but he's the one to beat. It's a TT so I'm creating some space after he passed me.
Nice laps.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I know all about the fast vette's and Vipers.

Gary Church ran 1:58's in his Ruf R Turbo with a ton of weight, Ian Stewart ran a 1:59 in a GT2 in July at the UTCC (I think stock Turbos). Both are full interior street cars. These cars make about the same hp as the Vette's, Vipers make that run the mid-upper 1:50's. My car is a Turbo and it was my second time at VIR with a 5 year gap, and in July. I left plenty of time on the table. Unfortunately, with the track changes, it's all heresay now.

The only non high hp vettes that have run sub 2:00 I believe are Danny and Wally. And those cars are beyond 996 cup level prep. Clarkes GT3 will be there soon, probably would be already if he had some A6's. The other sub 2:00 times I know of are Gil Smith in the 1:57's, and Mike Skeen in Matt Callahan's car at 1:54.8 and both of those have higher hp numbers. Eric Campbell runs in the 1:58's as well in his ACR.

So you see, if you look at the total spectrum of things, there is no advantage there. You can find plenty of fast non-cup Porsches lapping VIR.

I think the yellow Vette is mulholland?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Nice laps.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I know all about the fast vette's and Vipers.

Gary Church ran 1:58's in his Ruf R Turbo with a ton of weight, Ian Stewart ran a 1:59 in a GT2 in July at the UTCC (I think stock Turbos). Both are full interior street cars. These cars make about the same hp as the Vette's, Vipers make that run the mid-upper 1:50's. My car is a Turbo and it was my second time at VIR with a 5 year gap, and in July. I left plenty of time on the table. Unfortunately, with the track changes, it's all heresay now.

The only non high hp vettes that have run sub 2:00 I believe are Danny and Wally. And those cars are beyond 996 cup level prep. Clarkes GT3 will be there soon, probably would be already if he had some A6's. The other sub 2:00 times I know of are Gil Smith in the 1:57's, and Mike Skeen in Matt Callahan's car at 1:54.8 and both of those have higher hp numbers. Eric Campbell runs in the 1:58's as well in his ACR.

So you see, if you look at the total spectrum of things, there is no advantage there. You can find plenty of fast non-cup Porsches lapping VIR.

I think the yellow Vette is mulholland?
Thanks for compliment.

Again all I can do is call them like I see them and I haven't been on track with any of the p cars above but I drive with nasa some so know all the other guys who drive vettes. Don't forget about mike weber and there are some others............

I stand corrected if you want to go fast for less money get a vette but you'll be disappointed in how it drives. Maybe that statement will be more to your satisfaction
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old 996GT2 sub 2min.... my 7GT2 is faster... and faster than RS by a bunch...
You're looking in the wrong places.

Quick Reply: C7 Vette 2:23 Sebring on its factory Data Logger