Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sharkwerks/Evom reflash + bypass on RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:19 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Sharkwerks/Evom reflash + bypass on RS

I just installed my reflash (Evoms from Sharkwerks) today to go along with my previously installed Sharkwerk's center muffler bypass on my .1RS. First impressions on a combination wide-open and twisty drive was that the mid-range feels stronger by the seat of the pants measurement. It also seems to come off idle from a standstill slightly better (making a stall less likely). Not sure about the upper range as the car wasn't slow by any means before. In the turns, running along at about the 5,000 to 6,000 rpm range, the car leaps off the corners better, and is strong and linear in feel. Pulled hard to redline, with no popping or anything unusual upon dropping out of the throttle quickly. All in all, no complaints whatsoever. Thanks Alex.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you like it Jim and other good news is that not a single ECU got lost with the UPS madness!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks for the review HarmonyJim. I can definitely tell you that this is something I have in mind for my .2RS in the future!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Alex, you were correct though in your worry about sending it next-day air, it ended up in Kentucky before it finally made it back to me (I am located 200 miles from Alex's shop in central California). Oh well, I got it (after 3 days), and am tickled with it. One of the things you mention is the quality of the throttle response - hard to quantify, but definitely noticeable upon driving the car. Alex, I noticed on EVOM's dyno chart that the graph runs a couple hundred rpm higher than the stock ECU programming. Is the redline increased with the reflash? Thanks again for the wonderful product, and the incredible effort you put out (I hope you regained the four pounds lost chasing the UPS man -haha).
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I just installed my reflash (Evoms from Sharkwerks) today to go along with my previously installed Sharkwerk's center muffler bypass on my .1RS. First impressions on a combination wide-open and twisty drive was that the mid-range feels stronger by the seat of the pants measurement. It also seems to come off idle from a standstill slightly better (making a stall less likely). Not sure about the upper range as the car wasn't slow by any means before. In the turns, running along at about the 5,000 to 6,000 rpm range, the car leaps off the corners better, and is strong and linear in feel. Pulled hard to redline, with no popping or anything unusual upon dropping out of the throttle quickly. All in all, no complaints whatsoever. Thanks Alex.
+1
Old 01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
Alex, you were correct though in your worry about sending it next-day air, it ended up in Kentucky before it finally made it back to me (I am located 200 miles from Alex's shop in central California). Oh well, I got it (after 3 days), and am tickled with it. One of the things you mention is the quality of the throttle response - hard to quantify, but definitely noticeable upon driving the car. Alex, I noticed on EVOM's dyno chart that the graph runs a couple hundred rpm higher than the stock ECU programming. Is the redline increased with the reflash? Thanks again for the wonderful product, and the incredible effort you put out (I hope you regained the four pounds lost chasing the UPS man -haha).
Hi Jim isn't it weird!?! Next day air in Cali they tend to send these things to weird places

Glad you're enjoying it and good eye on the graph. Actually I rarely if ever put files on with a higher rev limit. There's really no point most of the time. For the racer that _needs_ a couple of hundred more to avoid a shift we've done it but not normally
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is good info. I have been kicking around the idea of calling Alex to get his input on the next step for my car.

I have the SW track exhaust right now but I'm feeling a re-flash will help with.......i don't know how to explain it.......it seems like my buddy's .1RS "spools up" quicker than my car. Could it be that it's because the RSs have a lighter clutch? Hopefully coming off idle (like the OP said) will be quicker for my car after the EVOMS software install.

Was it difficult to take your ECU out?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roche
This is good info. I have been kicking around the idea of calling Alex to get his input on the next step for my car.

I have the SW track exhaust right now but I'm feeling a re-flash will help with.......i don't know how to explain it.......it seems like my buddy's .1RS "spools up" quicker than my car. Could it be that it's because the RSs have a lighter clutch? Hopefully coming off idle (like the OP said) will be quicker for my car after the EVOMS software install.

Was it difficult to take your ECU out?
this is EXACTLY the cause of the RSes ability to rev more freely vs the 3... the only real solution is to replace the 3's DMFW with the RS SMFW ...

having said that, the EVOMsit ECU re-flash (from Alex) is recommended, I have had it on my car for some time now... love it
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LWFW is why the engine revs quicker. The tune minimizes the time (eGas delay) between hitting the throttle and engine starting to respond. When cars had throttle cables, they did not respond like this... this is for emissions and fuel economy.

In 25000+ miles all I've noticed are pluses for the tune.
Thanks, again, Alex.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
The LWFW is why the engine revs quicker. The tune minimizes the time (eGas delay) between hitting the throttle and engine starting to respond. When cars had throttle cables, they did not respond like this... this is for emissions and fuel economy.

In 25000+ miles all I've noticed are pluses for the tune.
Thanks, again, Alex.
+1 Happy New Year Steve!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Happy New Year, Larry!
Are you still considering the 991 'GT3'?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

BTW if "you" ever need to replace "your" clutch (or LSD) it is probably worth replacing the flywheel for the 4.0 LWFW *and* update the LSD at the same time (Guard or cup rebuild) optimizing for associated labor costs... a great upgrade for a GT3
Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Happy New Year, Larry!
Are you still considering the 991 'GT3'?
Hey Steve, I am totally split personality on the 991! its clear that the 991 will be a lot faster (exp on track) than the 997's and 6's ... so I REALLY want to do ED on one!

BUT... I think Porsche decided for better or worse that they had to compete with cars (and technology) like the GT-R et-al

I love my 7.2 ... I love the challenge that the car presents to the driver ... that's why I personally think the best ever drivers GT3 is the RoW 996.2 RS!

I imagine that the RS will be even better ... but at 150k for a 3 and 180+ for an RS ... with all those bells and whistles ...

SO...

While I want a new one, if I can only have one GT3 it probably has to be a 7.2 (and a 6.2 RS parked at the Nordschleife)
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
BTW if "you" ever need to replace "your" clutch (or LSD) it is probably worth replacing the flywheel for the 4.0 LWFW *and* update the LSD at the same time (Guard or cup rebuild) optimizing for associated labor costs... a great upgrade for a GT3
Alex and Matt are just waiting for my car to put the Guard in.
And aren't most of those 4.0 upgrades part of Alex's 3.9?

The more I look at Alex's 3.9, it fixes so many things (water pipes, variocam adjusters, oil pump, clutch/FW, etc - it even mitigates some of the gap between gears given the extra torque and 8800rpm redline) that it almost seems like the added horsepower and torque are just a bonus.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Hey Steve, I am totally split personality on the 991! its clear that the 991 will be a lot faster (exp on track) than the 997's and 6's ... so I REALLY want to do ED on one!

BUT... I think Porsche decided for better or worse that they had to compete with cars (and technology) like the GT-R et-al

I love my 7.2 ... I love the challenge that the car presents to the driver ... that's why I personally think the best ever drivers GT3 is the RoW 996.2 RS!

I imagine that the RS will be even better ... but at 150k for a 3 and 180+ for an RS ... with all those bells and whistles ...

SO...

While I want a new one, if I can only have one GT3 it probably has to be a 7.2 (and a 6.2 RS parked at the Nordschleife)
I hear you, and I'm not really surprised.

Apologies to HarmonyJim (OP) for my small digression.

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks/Evom reflash + bypass on RS