Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Guidance on a GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Guidance on a GT2

I'm thinking about adding a 2008 GT2 and wondered if there were any "got yas" to look out for. Car has been well cared for, 5K miles. I've had 997.2 GT3's and a GT3RS but not sure what to expect with the GT2 beside the obvious. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

+ Depending on your body dimensions and the frequency of the usage of this car you will need to decide about the seats...bucket seat or the Adaptive...(I like the bucket)
+ I think that most people ordered Sport Chrono (uselss and ugly); so without would be a plus IMO but hard to find...
+ you could choose CF bits or aluminum bits on the inside as well as leather vs. suede...
+ They all had LSD and it was a weak link...

I cannot think of any must haves...

Just be ready...this "turbo" engine will not sound as cool as your NA...(I don't mean to flame the turbo folks...but...)
Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igooz
+ Depending on your body dimensions and the frequency of the usage of this car you will need to decide about the seats...bucket seat or the Adaptive...(I like the bucket)
+ I think that most people ordered Sport Chrono (uselss and ugly); so without would be a plus IMO but hard to find...
+ you could choose CF bits or aluminum bits on the inside as well as leather vs. suede...
+ They all had LSD and it was a weak link...

I cannot think of any must haves...

Just be ready...this "turbo" engine will not sound as cool as your NA...(I don't mean to flame the turbo folks...but...)
Thanks for the feedback. It has the buckets which I really like. It has the sports chrono, and also all the CF bits. Also illuminated door sills. You're right about the sound... you can tell it's the H6 engine but that grinding/growling sound of the NA is really muted at idle and when accelerating. That's one of the things I miss most about the GT3/RS.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
I'm thinking about adding a 2008 GT2 and wondered if there were any "got yas" to look out for. Car has been well cared for, 5K miles. I've had 997.2 GT3's and a GT3RS but not sure what to expect with the GT2 beside the obvious. Thanks in advance.
Don't hesitate!

Changed my LSD this year, after a lot of track time. The GT2 LSD is far more robust than the GT3 RS version, for obvious reasons.
With a good setup the GT 2 is McL friendly.

https://vimeo.com/78227532

Old 12-26-2013, 08:02 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurboS
Don't hesitate!

Changed my LSD this year, after a lot of track time. The GT2 LSD is far more robust than the GT3 RS version, for obvious reasons.
With a good setup the GT 2 is McL friendly.

https://vimeo.com/78227532

Nice driving! The dealer's service department looked the car over and don't believe it's been tracked so the LSD should be in good shape.

I'll start the negotiations and see what happens.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot depends on whether you plan to track the car. If you don't track it I wouldn't worry about anything. It is very stout and a great car to drive, although you wold be more comfortable in a regular 911.

If you do track it I would plan on replacing the LSD with the Guard unit. Also, adding rear brake cooling ducts is a very good idea and may protect the ceramics. A good idea is just to take the ceramics off and save them and replace with Brembo two piece rotors. Think about replacing some of the control arms to take out the rubber--this is especially important in the rear for toe-in control. Also plan on having a great time but start out slow and make sure you have it pointed pretty much straight before you hammer it.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodjac
A lot depends on whether you plan to track the car. If you don't track it I wouldn't worry about anything. It is very stout and a great car to drive, although you wold be more comfortable in a regular 911.

If you do track it I would plan on replacing the LSD with the Guard unit. Also, adding rear brake cooling ducts is a very good idea and may protect the ceramics. A good idea is just to take the ceramics off and save them and replace with Brembo two piece rotors. Think about replacing some of the control arms to take out the rubber--this is especially important in the rear for toe-in control. Also plan on having a great time but start out slow and make sure you have it pointed pretty much straight before you hammer it.
Appreciate the advice. I'll admit on the test drive, when pulling away from a stop light, I managed to break the rear free while driving straight at 35mph... a surprise as I've owned a few TT's, but obviously those are much heavier cars. Anyway, sound advice to take care with this car.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you track it i suggest using 18 . it made a huge difference when i tracked my gt2.

Im trying to decide on getting another gt2 or getting a gt3 rs. i currently have a v10 r8 plus but really miss a stick . I had a gt2 for 2 years in LA traffic and it was actually more fun than the r8 ...
Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS

The GT2 LSD is far more robust than the GT3 RS version, for obvious reasons.
Can you detail the differences, I thought they were exactly the same ?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^They are as different as the turbos on the GT2 and the GT2RS. ...

I need to get a new clutch and re-do the LSD, my understanding is that the GT2 LSD is the same as the GT3RS which is good since there has been so much "learning" at the track with the latter...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Nice driving! The dealer's service department looked the car over and don't believe it's been tracked so the LSD should be in good shape.

It was (pre)owned by the little old lady from Pasadena...

Have them read the DME...Negotiate hard...when Porsche launched the GT2 in the US the economy collapsed and some folks paid MSRP and some folks paid 20% or more under MSRP. So the dealer may not be in this car more than $120k? Get CPO...
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
^They are as different as the turbos on the GT2 and the GT2RS. ...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks! Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Appreciate the feedback, decided to go for it. Now I have a project car! :-)
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got that Black one from Porsche North eh? Nice car. Welcome back.

Quick Reply: Guidance on a GT2