Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 Gt3 set up

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Gt3 set up

hi i'm new i'm in italy i'd like to change the stock suspension with a racing set up please help me: Ohlins,kw competition 3 way,jrz rs pro who is the best for my car 997 gt3 mk1
Old 11-27-2013, 01:44 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

or buy the rs 4.0 suspension?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,166 Likes on 2,911 Posts

I think there are many excellent choices (you named some good ones, though I would not bother with 4.0). More important than brand is to find a good local shop to install, align, and adjust for you.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by marco911gt3
hi i'm new i'm in italy i'd like to change the stock suspension with a racing set up please help me: Ohlins,kw competition 3 way,jrz rs pro who is the best for my car 997 gt3 mk1
id look at EXE-TC. The valving is sweet.

Ohlins make a great product however.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

thank you but exe-tc are for rally i ask them they haven't experience with trofeo r pneum
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

i ask you in a 2 min circuit with same driver same tires same day the difference in second from oem to aftermarket
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

thank you but exe-tc are for rally i ask them they haven't experience with trofeo r pneum
they have had success with them on rally cars and Cup cars, cant see why there would be problems with DOT tires...
Old 11-27-2013, 03:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

i ask you in a 2 min circuit with same driver same tires same day the difference in second from oem to aftermarket
the stickier the tire, the more likely the stock suspension will feel too soft under load.
A track specific suspension will work better with sticky tires and the overall balance of the car under acceleration and braking which can equal better lap times.

Getting the valving just right can make the difference between a confident ride and a jaring ride on the track.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 114 Posts

+1 on valving.

I'm installing the Ohlins DFV (Road & Track) setup this offseason. The full motorsport TTX setup is awesome, but overkill for DE, and too pricey IMO. The single adjustable DFV setup comes with 515/800# rates, and is valved to handle higher rates if desired. DFV valve is great for bumps/curbs, and for any street driving. I've seen it in action on a local car, it works. This is why the single adjustable works fine, because you can crank up the stiffness for the track and the DFV valve still gives you compliance at super high shaft speeds on compression and rebound. Don't let the name fool you, this is really a single adjustable clubsport setup.

Ohlins track tested this exact setup vs. a stock .1RS suspension and made significant gains. A good shock, properly valved works wonders and will actually ride "softer" than you think. It's basically a Bilstein or KW Clubsport package (same spring rate range), but single adjustable, which is all I personally need, or want for what I'm doing. This setup just hasn't gotten any press in the Porsche community. At over $2000 less than a KW or Bilstein Clubsport setup, I can guarantee you that you can be just as fast on a set of good single adjustables, and simply get more performance from adjusting spring rates. Most people just set compression and never touch it again anyway.

My stock shocks, on 392/672# springs was great improvement over stock, but the shocks are getting tired and can't cope with bumps because I have to run in "sport" mode to adequately dampen the rates. Not looking to go faster, just looking for a better dampened ride on track...it's too nervous, especially over bumps and fast direction changes. I would re-valve my stock shocks before spending 6K on a set of Clubsports, but that's just my opinion, and I like to be fast but frugal.

Here is a link to a quick tidbit about the testing, on the right side.
http://www.ohlinsnews.com/current-is...perfect-2.html

"We recently did a back to back test with a Porsche 997 GT3 RS with the original semi-active suspension compared to our passive Road&Track dampers. On the track we found a massive improvement in lap times with the passive dampers and it was still more comfortable to drive on the road from the track. So the hard ware is still the most important thing to get right and electronics isn't the answer to everything. We are always looking for the special "Öhlins feeling" and want the driver to really feel when he is using our dampers" Jonas says.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:50 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

so you say ohlins one way are faster as kw clubsport 3way and ttx are really better. do u know the spring rate of kw an ohlins?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

so you say ohlins one way are faster as kw clubsport 3way and ttx are really better. do u know the spring rate of kw an ohlins?
I would say the Ohlins build quailty is better then KW and reflected in the price.
I wouldnt say one shock is way faster then another. Comes down to confidence and control which in turn can turn into seconds on the track.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,124 Posts

I have these on my .1RS, single adjustable Ohlins. I put them on after I had a PASM strut blow. I opted not to get the TTX as they are overkill for me (and a LOT more expensive). Also have full mono ball upper, lower, toe,drop, bump links, cup inner lowers, camber plates, gt2 rear bar, rotated front top plates that I had installed at same time (along with alignment, balance, ride height)... full boat as Mooty called it at the time. My shop ordered custom springs and went a little stiffer in front and a little softer in rear if I remember right. They set the clicker and I haven't touched it. It's firm, but not harsh. I could lower it a few Clicks to soften it a bit and would if DD, but car is just canyons and (now) track use. I immediately noticed a difference on the street, PASM was was either too soft or too firm, jarring. I do a lot of canyon driving and the roads here suck. Corners that used to unsettle the rear due to bumps are now totally planted. I opted for Ohlins as this is what my shop uses on most of their cars, they work with Ohlins USA quite a bit in tuning and optimization.

The key: Suspension is a system, go with what your local shops know and know how to tune.

Originally Posted by Mvez
+1 on valving.

I'm installing the Ohlins DFV (Road & Track) setup this offseason. The full motorsport TTX setup is awesome, but overkill for DE, and too pricey IMO. The single adjustable DFV setup comes with 515/800# rates, and is valved to handle higher rates if desired. DFV valve is great for bumps/curbs, and for any street driving. I've seen it in action on a local car, it works. This is why the single adjustable works fine, because you can crank up the stiffness for the track and the DFV valve still gives you compliance at super high shaft speeds on compression and rebound. Don't let the name fool you, this is really a single adjustable clubsport setup.

Ohlins track tested this exact setup vs. a stock .1RS suspension and made significant gains. A good shock, properly valved works wonders and will actually ride "softer" than you think. It's basically a Bilstein or KW Clubsport package (same spring rate range), but single adjustable, which is all I personally need, or want for what I'm doing. This setup just hasn't gotten any press in the Porsche community. At over $2000 less than a KW or Bilstein Clubsport setup, I can guarantee you that you can be just as fast on a set of good single adjustables, and simply get more performance from adjusting spring rates. Most people just set compression and never touch it again anyway.

My stock shocks, on 392/672# springs was great improvement over stock, but the shocks are getting tired and can't cope with bumps because I have to run in "sport" mode to adequately dampen the rates. Not looking to go faster, just looking for a better dampened ride on track...it's too nervous, especially over bumps and fast direction changes. I would re-valve my stock shocks before spending 6K on a set of Clubsports, but that's just my opinion, and I like to be fast but frugal.

Here is a link to a quick tidbit about the testing, on the right side.
http://www.ohlinsnews.com/current-is...perfect-2.html

"We recently did a back to back test with a Porsche 997 GT3 RS with the original semi-active suspension compared to our passive Road&Track dampers. On the track we found a massive improvement in lap times with the passive dampers and it was still more comfortable to drive on the road from the track. So the hard ware is still the most important thing to get right and electronics isn't the answer to everything. We are always looking for the special "Öhlins feeling" and want the driver to really feel when he is using our dampers" Jonas says.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM
marco911gt3
Intermediate

i know the most important is the tune of suspension here in italy i think best solution is ohlins (one way or ttx) thank you
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Interested to hear more impressions on the ohlins. I have been considering them as I don't like how the car feels unsettled over rough pavement. I do drive my cat a good amount on the street so I have to take that into consideration as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Interested to hear more impressions on the ohlins. I have been considering them as I don't like how the car feels unsettled over rough pavement. I do drive my cat a good amount on the street so I have to take that into consideration as well.
If you're ever in socal PM me. More than happy to show you my setup.

Quick Reply: 997 Gt3 set up