Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I need sway bar feedback OEM ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need sway bar feedback OEM ONLY!

I just lowered my c2s car feels great as at stock ride height I felt the car was literally top heavy. Threw in some dog bones and toe links and tc design alignment

I have noticed since the car was lowered I can now feel how much bodyroll the chassis has when pasm is not engaged. when I engage the struts stiffen up and almost eliminate the bodyroll - great I can see for track use but for the street I never engage pasm.

Its pretty clear I need stiffer sway bars -

My question is do I go with GT2 front and rear? there was a bulletin stating gt2 sways can be used on the gt3 without adverse effects. I am sure they will be fine on a c2s also.

Who is running the GT2 sway bar in the rear? any improvements?

I know the GT2 also uses a different sway bar to the GT3 front. I am told it has less adjustment.

It would be great for feedback on whether to get gt2 all the way around or gt3

Mike
Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Huh?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

throw on some GMG sway bars front and rear. They are stiffer and adjustable.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What year C2S?...manual or PDK....this will effect what rear sway you can get.

Originally Posted by porka
I just lowered my c2s car feels great as at stock ride height I felt the car was literally top heavy. Threw in some dog bones and toe links and tc design alignment

I have noticed since the car was lowered I can now feel how much bodyroll the chassis has when pasm is not engaged. when I engage the struts stiffen up and almost eliminate the bodyroll - great I can see for track use but for the street I never engage pasm.

Its pretty clear I need stiffer sway bars -

My question is do I go with GT2 front and rear? there was a bulletin stating gt2 sways can be used on the gt3 without adverse effects. I am sure they will be fine on a c2s also.

Who is running the GT2 sway bar in the rear? any improvements?

I know the GT2 also uses a different sway bar to the GT3 front. I am told it has less adjustment.

It would be great for feedback on whether to get gt2 all the way around or gt3

Mike
Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I merely question the jump to stiffer ARBs when the dampers and spring rates may be the larger part of the issue the OP is dealing with.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on looking at the whole system.
Recently started messing with swaybars rear and front on 7.1 GT3 on MPSS's, tracked mostly on the fairly bumpy tracks around Houston.
One thing I have learned is that stiffening things up does not always improve grip/balance. Now running stock rear bars full soft and fronts one from full soft. All of a sudden found 2 sec's at TWS. 😄
Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM
porka
Banned

I am running mpss 245 up front 305 in the rear, Manual trans 2005 997 model.
I did not want to go with coilovers as I just don't think I need them.

yes its clear stiffer spring rates would rectify the bodyroll but would also contribute to a harsh ride.

If I go with the oem sways will I need to change my rear subframe?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:21 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You want "some" body role to use the contact patch of the tire. I think you need to drive your car more Mike .
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porka
I am running mpss 245 up front 305 in the rear, Manual trans 2005 997 model.
I did not want to go with coilovers as I just don't think I need them.

yes its clear stiffer spring rates would rectify the bodyroll but would also contribute to a harsh ride.

If I go with the oem sways will I need to change my rear subframe?
How would altering the suspension help you?

In other words, how will it make you faster or more comfortable at your current limits than you are now? As my gurus have told me, "when you say the magic words, we will make certain changes" - until then, you are not using what you have beneath you.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

can 997GT3 sways fit under a 997 carrera?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Yes they would fit on his car. He could benefit from adjustable sways but it depends.

I added adjustable sways to my stock sports suspension on my Carrera GTS but I also knew I was going to change out to height adjustable coil overs too.

the OP's 2005 Carrera probably needs new coil overs by now and he would benefit from height adjustable coliovers which the Carrera does not have along with GT3 sways...but it all depends...these mods make the car better but not the driver
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 PM
porka
Banned

Originally Posted by KaiB
How would altering the suspension help you?

In other words, how will it make you faster or more comfortable at your current limits than you are now? As my gurus have told me, "when you say the magic words, we will make certain changes" - until then, you are not using what you have beneath you.
put it this way.. a certain driver in a gt3 against me in my c2s could not keep up.. my car was fully stock at the time with 3 year old bridestone tires that came with the car

only stating this as its not my first rodeo as some have implied.. Enrique is right though, my car has been in need of a clutch and other maintenance which has led me to baby the car in the recent months. just using is a commuter..

that being said its going in for repairs next week, I am extremely excited to get her back whereby I can go back to heel toe without revs dropping and really drive it again - woodside here I come! haha
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I recently purchased 997 GT3 sway bars from a RL'er in Jacksonville and Tarret drop links from porka for my 997.2S. After installation by a guy here in south Florida, there was a banging noise from the rear at my first track day (October Chin Sebring event). Fortunately Rebel Rock Racing was there that day and Mike Morgan and Kevin Wheeler took a look underneath. The rear bar was hitting the rear subframe and while they said the banging wouldn't cause any damage, The bar could not work properly as installed.

Mike fixed this this the following week and I picked up 2.35 seconds at the next Chin Sebring event earlier this month. So the 997 GT3swaybars will work on a Carrera S but some massaging is needed.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 PM
porka
Banned

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
I recently purchased 997 GT3 sway bars from a RL'er in Jacksonville and Tarret drop links from porka for my 997.2S. After installation by a guy here in south Florida, there was a banging noise from the rear at my first track day (October Chin Sebring event). Fortunately Rebel Rock Racing was there that day and Mike Morgan and Kevin Wheeler took a look underneath. The rear bar was hitting the rear subframe and while they said the banging wouldn't cause any damage, The bar could not work properly as installed.

Mike fixed this this the following week and I picked up 2.35 seconds at the next Chin Sebring event earlier this month. So the 997 GT3swaybars will work on a Carrera S but some massaging is needed.
you may want to switch to the gt3 rear subframe to prevent the rubbing issue. it has a lower profile.

thanks for the feedback on the bars.. i want to do them, just want to understand whether to get gt2 or gt3..

mike

Quick Reply: I need sway bar feedback OEM ONLY!