Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2/GT3 - Tighter handling and crisper, more precise shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 997 GT2/GT3 - Tighter handling and crisper, more precise shifting...

Introducing new Rennlist site sponsor: FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

TRANSMISSION MOUNT INSERT
996/997 - Turbo/GT2/GT3

The OEM transmission mount was designed for ride comfort over performance. Its empty voids allow for too much transmission movement, resulting in sloppy handling, numbed responsiveness, and imprecise shifting. The Cup cars utilize a solid metal mount to mediate this, which is wholly impractical for street use as it transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin.

So how do you achieve the benefits of a solid mount while retaining civility? Function-First Performance offers an economical and easy to install solution for your 997 Turbo, GT2, and GT3. Our durable urethane rubber insert slips into the empty voids of the OEM mount bushings and is sandwiched between the mount bracket and the transmission. This prevents premature bushing wear and undesirable transmission movement, all while transmitting minimal added noise and vibration.

The result? Handling is taut and predictable; power delivery is immediate and smooth; gear changes are crisp and confident.

Installation can be completed with basic hand tools in about one hour. Unlike other solutions on the market, pressing out the stock transmission mount bushings is NOT necessary to utilize these inserts. This means the OEM mount stays intact, allowing you to easily return your car to stock form, preserving its value.

Please click here to order!
$130 + shipping

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Question: can you elaborate further about transmission of so-called "minimal added noise and vibration" ? How much noise/vibration are we talking about ?

I know it is difficult to quantify, but do you think this makes a road car too noisy and the mod is better left to dedicated track cars ?

Thx.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have always found the stock 997.1RS engine and transmission mounts to be very good. I wouldnt replace them in fear of money wasted and additional noise in the cabin.

These look to be a good alternative.

would the factory RS mounts be any different then the carreras and the turbos?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matrog
Question: can you elaborate further about transmission of so-called "minimal added noise and vibration" ? How much noise/vibration are we talking about ?

I know it is difficult to quantify, but do you think this makes a road car too noisy and the mod is better left to dedicated track cars ?

Thx.
This was specifically designed for use on street cars, where the driver desires a sportier and tighter chassis, along with improved, confident shifter feel. There will be added NVH, but less so than other solutions that are more geared toward track cars.

You can track your car with these inserts, no problem, and they will improve performance, but it won't provide the increase in stiffness that perhaps the driver of a dedicated track car is looking for.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

My RS - all stock engine and trans mounts, nice and quiet.
My GT3 - solid mounts engine and trans - incredible noisy, sounds like a cup car.

This "sounds" like a good compromise.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Awaiting owners reviews of the product - esp with regards to added noise and vibration.

her shann
Old 11-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are some recent reviews:

User 6ta1 (996 Carrera)
- I can feel some added NVH. However as a disclaimer my first gear as a dented teeth so any added vibration becomes very noticeable. at speed just a bit of added vibration, nothing to really complain about
- now for the goodie: great improvement in gear selection, much more than I was expecting. it made a much more noticeable difference than the torque solutions semi solid engine mounts. gear changes feel very solid and add a lot of confidence
- as an added bonus, weight transfers feel a lot more linear now and the car overall feels more solid
- All in all probably some of the best bucks spent on the car!

User bornrich (996 Carrera)
This weekend I attended a NASA event as an instructor. Once I got the car on track the change was really apparent. My shifts were positive and firm. Of course the vibrations were not an issue on track but on the drive home on Sunday after 3 hard sessions on track the vibes seemed to have softened a little with no loss of handling or positive shifting. Driving around town today, the car seemed a little more harsh than stock but not bad at all. I'm going to Laguna Seca tomorrow, so I'll have more input. But I like the change so I give this mod two thumbs up.
My laps on Laguna were more of the same. Solid shifts with good feel.

User 2K3TTMIA (996 Turbo)
Took less than 30 min from start to finish:
1. supported the transmission with one of those "vertical shore jacks" Dropped the two rear-most plastic under body trays, disconnected two plastic hose brackets right near the trans mount bracket. Removed a cross brace to allow for the trans to move a little as the trans mount bracket was removed. inspected the OEM bushing, cleaned it up, silicone lube, hand- press in the Poly inserts. Reinstall. Done.
the car seems more solid at idle, a little more precise shift feel. In some stop and go traffic, very little NV increase in the passenger compartment. Otherwise, the Poly Insert is an improvement and gives the OEM bushing a little more resistance.

User jkw911 (997 Carrera)
The mod is simple, quick, and inexpensive. The biggest improvement is the responsiveness of acceleration; the transmission has less play and flexes less so the power is transmitted to the wheels and there is less flex/rotate in the trans. Also the notchyness of the shifter is somewhat reduced.

Cabin noise is increased a little because there is less damping. Strange thing is that under 4000 rpms it sounds more like engine/exhaust feedback. Over 4000 it definitely sounds like transmission.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how it compares with the Torque Solutions inserts. But I tried both the 90 and the 75 and found they both were not worth it. The 90 was just ridiculous, at over 7k rpm the car felt like it was going to shake itself to pieces. The 75 was better but you still heard a LOT of the gearbox and frankly the marginal gain on track was minimal.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There is some added noise and vibration with this upgrade, but that is the trade off for the increase in performance. The hardness and geometry of the inserts was carefully developed to minimize this added NVH to ensure daily drivability, while still offering the benefits of a solid mount.

Limiting unwanted fore/aft and lateral drivetrain movement is instrumental in improving responsiveness, handling, and shifter accuracy.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the installation of the TRANSMISSION MOUNT INSERT, you will be rewarded with improved shifting and enhanced performance. These benefits, however, come at the cost of some increased NVH, and we understand that this is the main concern for our existing and prospective customers.

I daily drive my car with the Insert, but I realize that my tolerance for the NVH increase may not be in line with others.

As such, we will now be offering a softer version in addition to the original stiffer version.

(997 Turbo/GT2/GT3 model shown)

Choose between two hardness levels:
STREET - Yellow (70A) for less NVH *Softer version*
TRACK - Black (80A) for optimized performance *Original version*

There will still be some NVH transmittal with the STREET version, but it will be much more bearable for those wishing to keep their car purely streetable. For those interested more in the performance benefits, we still recommend the original TRACK version for spirited street driving, AutoX, and DE/Track.

If you already purchased an Insert and wish to exchange for the softer version, pls email us at sales@function-first.com to arrange for an exchange. Any other questions or concerns, pls feel free to email.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 75 durometer torque solutions trans bushings and the RS LWFW in my GT3. that thing is uber noisy now, but if I wanted an accord or a 750i, I would have bought one. the noise does not bother me.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Have the TS 75D on my RS. I love the feel and the sound too
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just Ordered the Street/Yellow Version

And will report my findings in due course.

Matthew
Old 02-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Installed on my 996 GT3 on stock 997 mount.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Installed on my 996 GT3 on stock 997 mount.

Once you've had some street and track time to fully test out this setup, we'd love to hear your impressions.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 997 GT2/GT3 - Tighter handling and crisper, more precise shifting...