Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 with two kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:59 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 with two kids

Obviously, posting here in the hopes everyone will tell me to just get a GT3.

I have my heart set on a GT3. Given my current budget, I'm probably looking for a 997.2 non RS.

At least, that the fantasy. The reality, however, is that I have two kids, and its rare that I don't end up hauling both of them around on the weekends. Which would obviously be impossible without back seats (or a McLaren F1).

The other reality is that I have a pretty dull, 10 minute commute on the weekdays. So, I'm wondering if I'd ever get to actually drive the thing.

Selling one of my kids is probably out, otherwise I'd be posting this in the 918 forum.

I'm considering "settling" for a GTS, but my heart tells me I'd be disappointed. I've been a Porsche guy long enough to have had posters of the 959 and 964 and 993 on my wall as a kid. This will be my first Porsche though, so maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised with a mere GTS.

(I'm a high revving NA guy, so not really interested in a Turbo.)

Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

get a gt3 and have it fitted with rear seats and seatbelts?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:09 PM
scbeast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
get a gt3 and have it fitted with rear seats and seatbelts?
Agreed! And unlike the GTS, you can unwind from a GT3 with little or no depreciation if it doesn't suit you.

However - experts please correct - I've only seen 997.1 GT3s with the rear seats /seat belts.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Get a 997.1 GT3, and with the money you save buy a 4 door kid hauler. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

NorthVan is right. Look for a 997.1 GT3.

You will not be disappointed.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:51 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Agree with northvan, get something cheaper like the .1 and then get a 4 door something. M3, rs4, etc and you have 2 toys to keep everyone happy
Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going to be a bit contrary to the other posts.

I had a 997.2 Carrera S, and I replaced it with a .2RS. I also have two little kids (really little-- newborn and almost 2). Now, don't get me wrong; I'm thrilled with the RS and every time I drive it, whether on the track, back roads, or just through a tunnel, my belief that it's the best car you can buy sub-$200k is reaffirmed.

But I miss my Carrera. The RS is pretty much a waste as a commuter. My drive to work is about 12 minutes, and it's not really even long enough to get the fluids heated up. It's no fun to drive a car with those capabilities in city traffic at 35 mph. And though the noise and ride firmness are assets when wringing it out, when just driving to work it's slightly annoying.

And the worst part is my kids will never ride in it (well, not for a number of years anyway) which is a bummer, because it's something I love and I can't share it with them. And as a result, my wife never rides in it either (I think she's been in it 4 times in a year and a half). It's not much of a date car for the same reasons it's not a great commuter, and due to the needs for wrangling up childcare if we want to get away and drive somewhere fun, it just doesn't get used for that.

If I still had the Carrera I'd just have a couple of car seats in the back and we'd use it all the time. And it was actually a great commuter. And with a few minor mods it was pretty awesome on the track too.

I think which car is the better choice really depends on how you're going to use it. If you are a track junkie, or you have the time and geography to allow drives through mountains/canyons/coastal roads etc and are willing to do it without your kids, then the GT3 is the obvious choice. If your hope or need is to include your family in this car, a 997.2 GTS (or a second hand 991 C2S) might be a better option. Don't sell the Carreras short; they're great cars.

Of course, you could just add rear seats and seatbelts to the GT3 and have the best of both worlds....
Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Thanks. I have a four door kid hauler already that i plan to keep. It's mind numbingly dull.

Worried I'll end up with the GT3 but still end up driving the 4 door 99% of the time.

Considered a 997.1 since I understand you can retrofit rear seats but:
A) seems silly to put rear seats in any gt3
B) worried I'd still lust for a 997.2
Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Get a 997.1 GT3, and with the money you save buy a 4 door kid hauler. Best of both worlds.
^ +1 At some point (if not already, depending on your childrens' ages) you would be torturing your kids in any 911 backseat. So try a 997.1 GT3 and see how you like it. Then take each of your children out separately and have some one on one time! The 3.1 is an excellent "me time" machine as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok. How can I put this strongly enough... YOU ARE ME :-)

I have had the budget for a GT3 for many years, but always resisted because of my two boys. They are everything to me, and they fight like two pit bulls in a burlap sack. So I like to try to make sure that they do things together, bond, etc. This is why I have owned - M3, RS4, RS6, C63 Black Series, multiple 911s, 912, etc. All had backseats. Finally my wife convinced me that I "deserved" the GT3 (I know, nice wife) and that the time would be even more special taking one boy at a time with me. You know what, she turned out to be right. I have a booster in the front and they go one at a time. And the whole drive is focused on them. We still do a lot of other things as the guys, or family, but the GT3 is one on one time. I say go for it. I am assuming this is not your daily driver. Otherwise, my suggestion would be quite different. I figure my GT3 is worth about $100k, and my daily driver Acura MDX probably about $20k. I call that having my priorities right

Besides, as I have also posted before, no "regular" 911 has brought out the neighborhood boys like this before...only 2 of these are mine
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
This. I bought a manual BMW 528 wagon (e39) for $5,000 and put $4,000 into it to be my daily driver. Perfect for my family and gets as many stares as my Porsches.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2013, 04:23 PM
TLo
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Believe you can only retro-fit the rear belts/seats in the 997.1 GT3s as they had double skinned rear seat bowls unlike the .2 GT3s which have single skins to compensate for additional weight elsewhere.

Which isn't to say it hasn't been done in a Gen 2...

http://www.rarecarsforsaleblog.com/2...w-weird-right/

Last edited by TLo; 11-02-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: adding to text
Old 11-02-2013, 06:20 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Originally Posted by scbeast
Agreed! And unlike the GTS, you can unwind from a GT3 with little or no depreciation if it doesn't suit you.
I'm in CA, so I take an immediate 8.75% hit in use tax just for the privilege of transferring ownership. Anyway, not convinced there won't be further depreciation. Market this month is already softer than last, and the 991 GT3s will get delivered eventually. Not sure that the depreciation on a GTS will be any worse, but who knows.

Originally Posted by scbeast
However - experts please correct - I've only seen 997.1 GT3s with the rear seats /seat belts.
Yes, my understanding is this can only be done safely in the 997.1 GT3s.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:39 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

This post sums it up nicely. If you aren't able to regularly track the GT3, then you won't be enjoying the benefits of it's design. Get the GTS and add the aero kit if that's the look you are after

Originally Posted by Laertes
I'm going to be a bit contrary to the other posts.

I had a 997.2 Carrera S, and I replaced it with a .2RS. I also have two little kids (really little-- newborn and almost 2). Now, don't get me wrong; I'm thrilled with the RS and every time I drive it, whether on the track, back roads, or just through a tunnel, my belief that it's the best car you can buy sub-$200k is reaffirmed.

But I miss my Carrera. The RS is pretty much a waste as a commuter. My drive to work is about 12 minutes, and it's not really even long enough to get the fluids heated up. It's no fun to drive a car with those capabilities in city traffic at 35 mph. And though the noise and ride firmness are assets when wringing it out, when just driving to work it's slightly annoying.

And the worst part is my kids will never ride in it (well, not for a number of years anyway) which is a bummer, because it's something I love and I can't share it with them. And as a result, my wife never rides in it either (I think she's been in it 4 times in a year and a half). It's not much of a date car for the same reasons it's not a great commuter, and due to the needs for wrangling up childcare if we want to get away and drive somewhere fun, it just doesn't get used for that.

If I still had the Carrera I'd just have a couple of car seats in the back and we'd use it all the time. And it was actually a great commuter. And with a few minor mods it was pretty awesome on the track too.

I think which car is the better choice really depends on how you're going to use it. If you are a track junkie, or you have the time and geography to allow drives through mountains/canyons/coastal roads etc and are willing to do it without your kids, then the GT3 is the obvious choice. If your hope or need is to include your family in this car, a 997.2 GTS (or a second hand 991 C2S) might be a better option. Don't sell the Carreras short; they're great cars.

Of course, you could just add rear seats and seatbelts to the GT3 and have the best of both worlds....
Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I had a 997.1 GT3 and it is tough with kids to take off for a few hours by yourself, especially on the weekends. Weekdays, the commute was pretty bad as you can never drive the car the way you want to. I traded for a 997 Turbo and am a lot happier with the versatility.

Quick Reply: GT3 with two kids