Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 with two kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DareMightyThings
Thanks. I have a four door kid hauler already that i plan to keep. It's mind numbingly dull.

Worried I'll end up with the GT3 but still end up driving the 4 door 99% of the time.

Considered a 997.1 since I understand you can retrofit rear seats but:
A) seems silly to put rear seats in any gt3
B) worried I'd still lust for a 997.2

I would 100% install rear seats in the back of the GT3 for the kids. I would not think it is silly. I would respect that you desire the sound and feel of the Mezger so much that you were willing to install rear seats to make it happen!

With a 997.1 you will not lust for the 997.2. Marginal difference.
(slightly more power, slighty better shock dampining, no sunroof and stupid center lock wheels).

Folks here have installed rear seats from wrecked carreras in the GT3.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

straight a gets a ride
B , u walk to.school
who dies mire chores gets the ride.
it works

misbehave u also get a ride. in the frunk.
it works WONDERS.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

The parts of that i understand are hilarious
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The biggest problem as I see it with retrofitting rear seats is liability. You get in an accident (with the kids), somebody gets hurt, and the ins co or other affected party finds out kids are not supposed to be in the car and you're toast.. I take chances with many things in life but this ain't one of 'em. That's why I own a turbo and not a GT3. YMMV.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
The biggest problem as I see it with retrofitting rear seats is liability. You get in an accident (with the kids), somebody gets hurt, and the ins co or other affected party finds out kids are not supposed to be in the car and you're toast.. I take chances with many things in life but this ain't one of 'em. That's why I own a turbo and not a GT3. YMMV.
^^ This.

BUT I have 3 kids and they just take their turn for a ride because I only want a GT car. I have other cars to tote them around. A PCar is not a ppl hauler but it is special for me and whomever sits shotgun.

But I would not put a rear seat in a car designated as a 2 seater. Otherwise get a turbo
Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Forget putting back seats in a GT3....wrong on so many levels
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Sneaking in to this Forum again. With the 997.2 and CL, there may be extra maintenance cost as many INDY shops wont remove your wheels nor will less expensive tire shops.
I have a 996 GT3 and a 997.1 4S cab, the response in the GT is amazing and so much faster than the 997. However, for the streets in Houston, the 4S is the choice.
If you are single, then the choice of bringing just one child is not there, and may take you back to the GTS.
For the GTS, get a 09 - 997.2 - or newer, and test drive the 997.1 and .2 GT3. They will be different animals. Drive the GTS first and last. If adjustable suspension was not a standard option on the GTS, get it, it is perfect for the commute, then set in sport plus for those weekend trips. The exhaust note on the GTS is good but can be upgraded with the money you save vs the GT3
Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for all the input. Been busy with my youngest's birthday all weekend, haven't had time to reply.

Originally Posted by Laertes
And the worst part is my kids will never ride in it (well, not for a number of years anyway) which is a bummer, because it's something I love and I can't share it with them. And as a result, my wife never rides in it either (I think she's been in it 4 times in a year and a half).
This is my concern. I really want my kids to experience this too. Every year, we make a mecca to Monterrey for auto week, and it kills me that if I had the GT3, I'd either have to leave one behind, or leave the GT3 at home.

Originally Posted by Laertes
If I still had the Carrera I'd just have a couple of car seats in the back and we'd use it all the time. And it was actually a great commuter. And with a few minor mods it was pretty awesome on the track too.
I do hope to do 3-4 DE events a year. So good to know a non-GT3 might be alright for that.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Ok. How can I put this strongly enough... YOU ARE ME :-)

I have had the budget for a GT3 for many years, but always resisted because of my two boys. They are everything to me, and they fight like two pit bulls in a burlap sack. So I like to try to make sure that they do things together, bond, etc. This is why I have owned - M3, RS4, RS6, C63 Black Series, multiple 911s, 912, etc. All had backseats. Finally my wife convinced me that I "deserved" the GT3 (I know, nice wife) and that the time would be even more special taking one boy at a time with me.
So, I can relate to this to. While this will be my first Pcar, I've been a fan boy probably 30 years. And I know in my heart, that the GT3 is the car I've always dreamed off. It's part of the reason I've held out so long. I probably could (should?) have gotten a Carrera S a long time ago.

Originally Posted by mooty
straight a gets a ride
B , u walk to.school
who dies mire chores gets the ride.
it works

misbehave u also get a ride. in the frunk.
it works WONDERS.
Hah, this is very appealing. My kids are crafty though, I have a feeling they'd end up manipulating me just as much as I would try to them.

I really do want to be able to share the car with my family, so I'm leaning slightly against the GT3 at the moment. I'm almost 100% sure down the road, I'll still want one though. And if I'm not going to get the car I want now, I'm inclined to settle for a lowly Carrera S, and save a bunch of dough. Problem is, I've been looking forward to the GT3 so long, the non-Alcantera interior of the non-GT3s feels a little dull to me. And the GTS isn't THAT much cheaper than a GT3 at the moment.

Clearly, I need a GT3 and an S, but my wife is NEVER going to go for that.

Last edited by DareMightyThings; 11-03-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the GT3, you only live once and the kids will love it one at a time. The only time kids got in the back of mine was to crawl through the roll bars to clean the rear window. And a usual Mooty is 100% correct.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the input. Been busy with my youngest's birthday all weekend, haven't had time to reply.

This is my concern. I really want my kids to experience this too. Every year, we make a mecca to Monterrey for auto week, and it kills me that if I had the GT3, I'd either have to leave one behind, or leave the GT3 at home.

I do hope to do 3-4 DE events a year. So good to know a non-GT3 might be alright for that.

So, I can relate to this to. While this will be my first Pcar, I've been a fan boy probably 30 years. And I know in my heart, that the GT3 is the car I've always dreamed off. It's part of the reason I've held out so long. I probably could (should?) have gotten a Carrera S a long time ago.

Hah, this is very appealing. My kids are crafty though, I have a feeling they'd end up manipulating me just as much as I would try to them.

I really do want to be able to share the car with my family, so I'm leaning slightly against the GT3 at the moment. I'm almost 100% sure down the road, I'll still want one though. And if I'm not going to get the car I want now, I'm inclined to settle for a lowly Carrera S, and save a bunch of dough. Problem is, I've been looking forward to the GT3 so long, the non-Alcantera interior of the non-GT3s feels a little dull to me. And the GTS isn't THAT much cheaper than a GT3 at the moment.

Clearly, I need a GT3 and an S, but my wife is NEVER going to go for that.
u can buy gts now then in a week sell then buy gt3.
or buy gt3 and get it over with
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Are there any DIY posts on retrofitting rear seats in a GT3?
Jim
Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This makes me want to tell my own story about practicality and Porsches. I think it's a stretch to put them together in the same sentence.

I so wanted a Pcar since I was 19. Waited until 47 for my first one - an old '82 SC. Finally got my GT3.1 this year at 58. All along the way, I had all the right/logical reasons for waiting - a family (2 kids), a business to build and run with long hours, other lifestyle choices,etc.. None of these choices included the total impracticality that a 911 demonstrated to the wife, even with its two mini backseats. Logic prevailed versus my passion for cars. So, I finally got my first 911. I couldn't believe that I waited so long and denied myself the enjoyment. It wasn't the best of the day, the latest and greatest, or even remotely practical. I waited so long the kids were out of school and one had moved out! Oh, but the practicality bug bit again so after a few years I ended up selling my SC to give my daughter's college fund a jumpstart. I could have funded this in other ways, but hey the car was impractical ! I figured I'd be back in the saddle in a year or two. So once again I waited for the right time and dithered over what I could afford, what would be practical,etc for 8 years! No Pcar, still practical. The bonus was that the passage of time allowed newer GT3 models to be created. However,I didn't have some other Pcar variety to enjoy in the meantime. Eventually, after lots of mental tug of war battles, I knew that deep down I only wanted a GT3. Eventually I just decided to throw out all the right reasons to wait or do nothing, and satisfy ME. And even though this year may have not been the "right time" and there were lots of logical reasons not to by my 3, I am now thrilled that I made the leap. I could still be waiting for the next generation or better car and still be looking at an empty garage. Family and other priorities will always be there. You can also make yourself a priority once and awhile. If I was to do it over again I would have owned any Pcar that I could afford earlier on and kept one as a part of my lifestyle. The real bonus this year was that, because I made this decision, I was able to go on a fabulous Washington/Oregon coast road trip with my son. Absolutely the best time we have ever had together! Total one on one time with my only son with him at the wheel most of the time and dual ear to ear grins from those impractical two front seats. If I hadn't bought the 3, it would have never happened and I would have missed one of my life's best experiences. So don't underestimate the enjoyment you can have with your children one on one with the GT3 (or any impractical Pcar that you eventually choose- just choose one), especially as they mature.

Hey, perhaps you can even have another child, making any Pcar even more impractical and resolve the seating issue. LOL ! Maybe you could also have some quality one on one time with the kids on your trip and have the SO come along with the daily driver and the other child. Just my .02 worth... Good luck with your quest!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Considered a 997.1 since I understand you can retrofit rear seats but:
A) seems silly to put rear seats in any gt3
why, if it suits your needs?
do what works for your circumstances.
ahhhhhhhhhhh
ilko raises a valid point.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I would 100% install rear seats in the back of the GT3 for the kids. I would not think it is silly. I would respect that you desire the sound and feel of the Mezger so much that you were willing to install rear seats to make it happen!

With a 997.1 you will not lust for the 997.2. Marginal difference.
(slightly more power, slighty better shock dampining, no sunroof and stupid center lock wheels).

Folks here have installed rear seats from wrecked carreras in the GT3.
+1

I added rear seats to my .1 GT3 (~28lbs for all pieces, negligible at my skill level)
The tub supports it, seat belt bungs are already there

The only trick is the seat back upper latch. The bracket is left off in the GT3 and needs to be sourced from any other 996/997 variant and installed on the .1 GT3
Definitely not an easy job!

Insurance coverage was not an issue, I checked prior.

As for safety, like all auto safety, the 997 tub is much safer than earlier 911 variations that already have rear seats...

At some point my kids won't fit but for now, we get to enjoy a lot more drive time as a family. They are just at the right size for the rear seats, now at 8 and 10 years old, though tall for their ages. We have even taken overnight weekend trips... you need to pack very light, of course

I would do it all over again without a second thought.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Are there any DIY posts on retrofitting rear seats in a GT3?
Jim
no full blown DIY that I have seen but there is this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947

near the end I added more info on the seat back installation
Bottom install is a really easy...
The backs are a bit more work

Quick Reply: GT3 with two kids