Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 with two kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, you might want to check this thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...lled-pics.html.

And a .2 with rear seats was for sale last year (I believe a rennlister owned it) - http://www.rarecarsforsaleblog.com/2...w-weird-right/

Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

Doing only 4 DE's per year, and wanting to use the car on the street as often as possible with either wife or kids... these factors point toward a Carrera rather than a GT3.

Try driving a GT3 on the street/freeway (for an extended period if you can). It is like operating a battleship in a river full of sampans. So overkill that it's funny, and fun but... after a while you'll realize the racetrack is its best environment, and the lack of general utility/clearance/back seats/etc will leaving you driving the SUV 99% of the time.

People here Daily Drive their GT3s because they are exceptionally strange. If you are a freak who literally cannot go 5 minutes without thinking about whether your LSD is toast or not, or where you're going to send your oil out for analysis next time you change it, then by all means get the GT3.

If you are closer to normal, the Carrera will more than satisfy.

Just my opinion of course
Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha Too funny! In order to continue my captaining, it looks like I'd have to consider trading in my battleship for an icebreaker until spring! Not quite that freaky...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh

To each their own, I say
It's OK to be different
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
People here Daily Drive their GT3s because they are exceptionally strange.
And proudly so!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

DareMightyThings: get the GT3!

My story is very similar to DLJ & I waited a decade after selling my first 911 to get my current 997.1RS. I too have two small kids - 10 & 3yr old. While the 3yr old is too small to go for a ride, the 10yr old loves the drives & we've all sat many times in the car together in the garage.
Trust me, you'll be the coolest dad around, the kids will love you & as others have mentioned, the memories will last with you forever.
Good luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had a chance to try out any versions of the GT3 and a GTS yet. That might help you out.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing only 4 DE's per year, and wanting to use the car on the street as often as possible with either wife or kids... these factors point toward a Carrera rather than a GT3.

Try driving a GT3 on the street/freeway (for an extended period if you can). It is like operating a battleship in a river full of sampans. So overkill that it's funny, and fun but... after a while you'll realize the racetrack is its best environment, and the lack of general utility/clearance/back seats/etc will leaving you driving the SUV 99% of the time.

People here Daily Drive their GT3s because they are exceptionally strange. If you are a freak who literally cannot go 5 minutes without thinking about whether your LSD is toast or not, or where you're going to send your oil out for analysis next time you change it, then by all means get the GT3.

I'm pretty confident that I'd be perfectly fine DD'ing a GT3. I once did a Club Sportiva event that included drives in a Ferrari F430, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, and a Lotus Elise. They were all great, but it was the lowly Elise that I enjoyed the most. I just like light, no frills cars.

Originally Posted by tgavem
Sneaking in to this Forum again. With the 997.2 and CL, there may be extra maintenance cost as many INDY shops wont remove your wheels nor will less expensive tire shops.
I know the CL's are a pain, but I live in the Bay Area, and am not terribly worried about finding shops that can deal with the CLs properly. CLs aren't going to be a deciding factor for me one way or the other.

Originally Posted by mooty
u can buy gts now then in a week sell then buy gt3.
or buy gt3 and get it over with
For now, with my kids the ages they are, I think it's most likely buy a GTS now, and then sell in a couple of years to get a GT3. I would love, love, love to get a GT3 now, but the reality of my situation is that I likely wouldn't get to spend much time driving it, at least for a couple of years.

Originally Posted by DLJ
Have you had a chance to try out any versions of the GT3 and a GTS yet. That might help you out.
Finally got a chance to do a couple of test drives yesterday. I tried both a 991 S with PDK, and a manual 4 GTS Cab.

The 991 S with PDK, while gorgeous, left me cold. It's so quiet, and on my short commute, shifting is one of the only joys. I was frankly surprised how much I disliked it. I test drove an Audi A3 with DSG years ago when it first came out, and loved it, so maybe with more time, I might have found the joy in the PDK.

The 4 GTS Cabriolet on the other hand, I LOVED. It sounded great with the Sport Exhaust, the shifter is fantastic, and even in Sport+, the ride is plenty comfortable for me. I'm definitely not a Cab guy, but I didn't really even mind that it was a Cab. I'm pretty confident now that I'd be plenty happy with a GTS Coupe (at least for a couple of years).
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wrestled with the same issue.

I'm a single parent with one 13 year old but still found a two seater car limited my driving time. I had an SL55 and I had to plan which days I could drive it to work. The reasons?- occasionally when I pick up my kid from school her friend wanted to come home with us (not possible) or taking the car to the city or out for a drive with GF and daughter (not possible). It meant a car I loved to drive stayed in the garage more than I wanted it to.

After I sold the MB I looked at many cars and wanted to get back into a Porsche. My first was white 996TT that I once took three kids to summer camp in... you should have seen the looks at drop-off that morning when three kids climbed out of my Europiped TT - priceless.

Anyhow I also dream of owning a GT3 but I don't want it to sit in the garage. After much debate I just last week leased a 991 Cab with PDK and PSE. Car should arrive next week. My plan is to 'try it out' for two years and see if the PDK, Cab, etc. is for me. In two years my kid will almost be driving and I'll look into GT3's again at that time.

At the end of the day the car that 's right for you is the one that you will drive more often and enjoy on a regular basis. Having any nice car sit in the garage cause you 'can't' drive it is a waste IMHO.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I have one five year old little girl. I'll probably get the airbag switch installed so she can ride in the front although it is unclear if it is necessary since the airbags supposedly disable if there is less than 80 lbs in the seat (not sure I'm willing to risk my only child on an assumption). If the whole family needs to go for a ride, we'll have to take the 993.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Good Call on the GTS.

Curious to see what you end up with...
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I have one five year old little girl. I'll probably get the airbag switch installed so she can ride in the front although it is unclear if it is necessary since the airbags supposedly disable if there is less than 80 lbs in the seat (not sure I'm willing to risk my only child on an assumption). If the whole family needs to go for a ride, we'll have to take the 993.

They Disable automatically anytime I have one of my kids in the RS.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
OP, you might want to check this thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...lled-pics.html.

And a .2 with rear seats was for sale last year (I believe a rennlister owned it) - http://www.rarecarsforsaleblog.com/2...w-weird-right/

I'm reasonably certain that the sport buckets come with a yellow sticker on the backs of them that state that nobody should be seated behind them. No idea why, just sayin'
Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
They Disable automatically anytime I have one of my kids in the RS.
I don't have the car in my possession yet...being shipped. Is there a light that indicates the bag is disabled?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I disagree with this for the standard GT3. I almost didn't buy one because of all the posts here about the unbelievably difficult shifting, brake squeal, rough ride, wasted if not on track, etc. I am so glad that I didn't listen. I cant speak to the RS, but for my .2 GT3, it is so cushy compared to other cars I have owned and/or driven, that I find it perfect for weekend/fun driving, road or track. You can easily exploit its capabilities on the road (not 100% of course). Is it a daily driver? No. Would I want to commute or sit in traffic in it ? No. But opening it up on highways, backroads through the hills, etc. is complete delight for someone that likes a high revving, manual shifting experience.

Quick Reply: GT3 with two kids