Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you buy this 997.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM
blueblast
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Would you buy this 997.2 GT3?

So this GT3 is for sale in So. Cal. The VIN matches a car previously posted in Rennlist, back in 2011. Since then it has moved from FL to CA, and apparently been somewhat decontented.

I drove the car today. It's fast, rigid, stiff, and loud. The seats, Motons, Akrapovic, and other easily removed bits have been replaced to stock. The Sachs clutch is still there (much heavier than stock), and I suspect that other internals (flywheel, motor mounts, etc.) are as well. I could not get under the car to inspect so hard to tell as the the rest. I'm having a PPI done this week.

The cosmetics are rough: the wrap is a bit dirty, and coming up on the front intakes. The cup holder door is loose and the CF cover of same is lifting. There are other cosmetic bits that need help. So cosmetically the car is fair to average.

The seller is an exotic car dealer (warehouse in Newport Beach full of the castoffs of the OC nouveau riche. He got the car in trade from a dealer in FL. He's got no documentation on the car, other than title, registration. CARFAX is clean.

Thoughts on pricing assuming the PPI checks out? I know it depends a bit on what's really on the car suspension/brake wise, but given the lack of documentation, the fact that the seller knows that this is not a car that sells except to nutjobs like us (he made no attempt to "sell" the car, just tossed me the keys within 60 seconds of meeting me, and said let me know what you think), if I can get it for say 65k or so, then would be a decent deal.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:42 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F*ck the car fax. Only means any repairs were cash.. Carbon roof would be a red flag to start. Get a PPI from someone you trust which includes a body guy and have the wheel liners pulled. If it was fixed right than you have leverage on the price. I was going to buy one that I knew was stuffed at the track but my bady guy said that it would work for the road but not sure it could take the stresses of the track. BTW: the dealer that had the car had no idea. They trusted the PO as he traded it in on a 458. PO ended up buying his car back.

1GUNNER has a nice ride for sale. I will drive it down from Canada for you....
Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 PM
blueblast
Rennlist Member

What's the problem with the CF Roof? It was done by the original owner, a track day guy here on Rennlist.

Yes, no question re PPI. Will be done by a Porsche race shop.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with CF roof: just saying from a web posting ad not knowing I would dig to make sure it did not get replaced following being turtled. If you know the guy and it was done for fun than that is different.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

Where was it and who owned it in between it's Rennlist history and now? What is the attraction to a car without a clear ownership history and somewhat questionable cosmetics?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Aside from the visual disaster and serious compensation issues with that orgy of "RS" stickers (reminds me of that black 997.1 GT3 with red rims masquerading as an RS), this is clearly a tinkerer+poser's car. Flamed Ti tips don't last $hit on track, nor does the matte white wrap. Could mean this car's mostly driven to cars & coffee which bodes well for the mechanicals...

But in the end, it's all about getting it at the right price and having a pair of trusted eyes inspect the car.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Pass, and by the way, this is a 997.1 GT3
Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Who's doing the ppi?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the car, it's a mess. Move on
Old 10-13-2013, 10:44 AM
RDF16
Advanced

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I know the car, it's a mess. Move on

Elaborate please.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:58 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Sorry not the same car I was thinking about, now looking closer. Even though I also know this one, and got close to buying it before.
There was also another FL car with carbon roof, that was a mess.

This particular car was in good shape while with his first owner, but don't know anything about it after that, besides it looks hideous.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
blueblast
Rennlist Member

Agreed that the cosmetics and the RS indicate a poseur--I figured the last owner sold the car because his girlfriend could not stand the ride. But that's superficial and can be easily restored. (Yes, I realized that this was a 997.1, after posting, thanks). The wrap can be easily removed. Q is to be sure that the paint is good underneath, and for that I need to contact the prior owner.

I agree that documentation is an issue as well--but I may be able to "cure" that with research and contacting the original owner and the last one.

If the mechanicals check out, at a decent price, then I can restore the cosmetics. The PPI is to be done by Truspeed Motorcarshttp://www.truspeedmotorcars.com.

I will add some background for the full story: I have a 2007 Cayman S, which recently suffered the IMS failure. The engine will be rebuilt by Raby/FlatSix but not until May 2014, going to a Stage 2, 3.8. In the meantime, I bought an E36 M3, stripped and prepped for the track, for both DD and track use. When the CS comes back next year, I was going to sell the the M3. But even then, the CS will never have the feel of a GT3. So if this car checks out, then I can sell the CS now, and put a bit of the money set aside for the rebuild into restoring this car to proper cosmetics and track prep.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Will they get close to 65k? its listed at 99k.

Cosmetics outside of paint are easy to address. I'd pay extra to have truspeed meter the paint and get under the belly pan to inspect the car well. And have them list out everything they can find that is not stock.

I personally think you can get an unmolested example for similar $.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
88TurbolookCab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend of mind called and spoke to owner and ask if paint is all original,ever tracked,any over rev and seller dance around questions-- so beware!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
RDF16
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Will they get close to 65k? its listed at 99k.

Cosmetics outside of paint are easy to address. I'd pay extra to have truspeed meter the paint and get under the belly pan to inspect the car well. And have them list out everything they can find that is not stock.

I personally think you can get an unmolested example for similar $.

Gotta be a type O. That car was listed on ebay last week at 76K and is in
Autotrader right now at 72,888. I emailed the dealer, the car is black with
the matt white wrap, has some kind of coil overs and Fabspeed exhaust.
Dealer said it had an RS wing but looks like a CF GT3 wing to me.

I bet the price should be 69xxx and he fat fingered it when listing.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this 997.2 GT3?