Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving your own car in Europe... Any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:47 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driving your own car in Europe... Any interest?

A friend of mine were chatting the other day. He is a German who used to work in US, so when he went back to Germany, he shipped his Porsche back and arranged all the paperwork, etc. I told him that I would love to drive my own car in Europe, doing a few track days, drive the autobahn, showed up to the Ring and do some slow laps, ha!

My friend mentioned that he is considering doing this as a side business, since he has the proper contacts and experience, basically arrange this type of tour (arranging shipment of the car, organize track days, hotels, etc.). And asked me if any of my friends would be interested in this type of service (just as a feeler).

I figured the best way to get a feeler would probably be posting here since we all share this common interest. I am sure it will end up determined by the cost, etc. But I guess the first steps would be, are people even interested in shipping their cars over to Europe and do a 2 weeks vacation, if such service is offered?

Discuss!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely a cost driven question.

I intend to get this out of my system by purchasing some sort of german vehicle using euro delivery.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Agree that euro delivery is the easiest way! But it would require the purchase of a new car.. hence how the conversation started..

This is just a pretty preliminary idea so far.. the shipping time is an issue as well (ship the car to Europe via container and back.. you will be out of your car for weeks), etc.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Cost! It actually may not be as bad as you'd think? I send container loads of material (40,000 lbs 40' container) to Europe every month. I can get it there in 9 days port to port and it costs ~$4k. I know it's not a car in there but I insure the material for $100k which is still in the aformentioned cost.

That said, if you can take a vacation in your RS through Europe that would be damn cool! To rent a car of this caliber would likely be very $$ as well I'd assume...
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the data point Dave.. !

I have no financial interest in this potential venture.. just helping out a friend to get some feedback from this crowd! Definitely wish him luck and be successful, as I'd be interested for sure! (given the cost is reasonable..)
Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I think you're friend will lose money on it. Way too much liability from getting to point A to B and back. He be better off buying Gt3's and get them prepped for trackdays and give them a nice hotel package ie 5 star hotel with spa treatment. Chauffeur service to track ie arrive and drive. Follow 5 star golf package model he'll do well even better host a business decision making coarse of some sort and client and u can write it off for tax purposes. Mike
Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Good feedback Mike..
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I was planning on buying a new RS with Euro delivery adn scooting around Europe in it for a while, driving Spa and the Ring then having it shipped home to USA and then likely dumping it unless I have fallen in love (doubtful with paddles).
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Ive looked into doing this before, you can do it relatively cheaply by putting the car on a RoRo; but the real deal killer is finding a european company to insure the car while it is there ... also importing (temporarily) into anywhere but Germany is (apparently) the way to go, otherwise you have to (apparently) lodge the GST/VAT payment on the car "just in case" you either sell it or fail to export it again ...
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

That could be very interesting. Definitely interested.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

A guy on the 997tt board did just that. Shipped his and another guy's cars in one container, drove all over Europe. Pretty epic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=77464

Quick Reply: Driving your own car in Europe... Any interest?