Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How easy and how much to retrofit NAV to a 7.1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How easy and how much to retrofit NAV to a 7.1?

So yea.... How easy and how much do you guys think it would be to retrofit NAV to a 2007 GT3.

Has it been done?

I think last time I asked this in a thread a vendor offered to install a aftermarket NAV which I have no interest in doing...
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be done, but you need to get a non Bose PCM. Since most Carrera's had Bose, they are hard to find used. I think last time I saw someone post a price for a new one it was $4000.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Yikes... Ill keep looking for a GT3 with NAV....
Thx
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The 07 Nav is not very good... not sure this would be a key decision point for me....
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The 07 Nav is not very good... not sure this would be a key decision point for me....
Is there a change from the 07 to the newer 997 GT3? Was under the impression it was just updated maps...

On the BMW E46 (M3) you could update the OS on the 2002 all the way to the last version... Not on the Porsche?

I just really dislike clutter and don't want a windshield mounted GPS or fumbling with my phone as a GPS.... :-/
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

997.2 GT3's have a better system, but for me NAV wasn't even a concern (had it in my C2S and it was OK, but not great). When I drive my GT3, I don't really car if I miss a turn or two.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Big revision in PCM from .1 to .2 cars. Maybe maps can be updated but the UI on the .2 cars is better. If it were me, and I really needed/wanted GPS I'd find the perfect car, and if it doesn't have GPS, get an aftermarket unit. The large screen kenwood and alpines are nice, and there is a kit/bezel to make them look well integrated.

Originally Posted by AEsco48
Is there a change from the 07 to the newer 997 GT3? Was under the impression it was just updated maps...

On the BMW E46 (M3) you could update the OS on the 2002 all the way to the last version... Not on the Porsche?

I just really dislike clutter and don't want a windshield mounted GPS or fumbling with my phone as a GPS.... :-/
Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by AEsco48
Yikes... Ill keep looking for a GT3 with NAV....
Thx
Andreas (spook from Roadfly here) the PCM UI was outdated when the 997 was first introduced in 2004. If you are set on a 2007-2008 GT3, I would want one without navigation.

The 2009 facelift across all Porsche sports car models included a completely new PCM unit with modern touch screen navigation, Bluetooth, etc.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Big revision in PCM from .1 to .2 cars. Maybe maps can be updated but the UI on the .2 cars is better. If it were me, and I really needed/wanted GPS I'd find the perfect car, and if it doesn't have GPS, get an aftermarket unit. The large screen kenwood and alpines are nice, and there is a kit/bezel to make them look well integrated.
I have the latest Kenwood in my truck- don't kid yourself, they have all the bells and whistles, even Garmin GPS, but they lag and the UI is not as nice as the .2 PCM, which is one of the best factory navs IMHO.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM
AEsco48
Pro

Hey spook!

Believe it or not I was still quite happy with the NAV in my 2004 M3 when the car went bye bye in Dec 2010!

I dont need modern or updated search functionality, I use my phone for that. I just need to get the address from my phone/email, put it into the cars NAV and have it give me reasonable directions. I verify the route on my phone just to make sure it makes sense anyways....

WOuld be nice to play music though the cars speakers from the iphone... but thats about it...

I should prob play around with one of the NAV before I buy a car... I should probably also drive a GT3 before buying one also....

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Andreas (spook from Roadfly here) the PCM UI was outdated when the 997 was first introduced in 2004. If you are set on a 2007-2008 GT3, I would want one without navigation.

The 2009 facelift across all Porsche sports car models included a completely new PCM unit with modern touch screen navigation, Bluetooth, etc.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personal opinions:

Best NAV in the GTx (for those rare occasions when you are lost and actually care) = iPhone.

Best way to have a phone conversation (for those rare occasions when you care to actually talk on the phone and have a half-way intelligible conversation inside the cabin of a GTx) = Bluetooth headset attached to iPhone.

Best way to listen to music in a GTx (I've heard some do...maybe on date night :-) = iPhone plugged into aux port.

Used money saved on next set of tires.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Kenu airframe iphone holder in left vent (apple store) $ 29; and google maps beta with voice and web search on my iPhone. Try this and save money. Can also use your phone when traveling for rental/ other cars.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I wanted a PCM (Nav) system in my car when I searched for mine a few years ago. Why? Because of the integration of the Dension into the system so that I have an iPod in the glove box, bluetooth streaming from my phone (Pandora app, ESPN Radio app, etc), and BT calls. In addition, the big plus was the on screen navigation of the music, etc, on the PCM screen. The non-PCM cars could NOT do that. If you are patient you'll find one.

And contrary to popular opinion, the nav isn't bad at all. Sure, I'd prefer a touchscreen with 2013 maps but 99% of every destination I go to is in there and the nav isn't bad at all. If I need something quick (or not in the nav) I use my iPhone.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
I wanted a PCM (Nav) system in my car when I searched for mine a few years ago. Why? Because of the integration of the Dension into the system so that I have an iPod in the glove box, bluetooth streaming from my phone (Pandora app, ESPN Radio app, etc), and BT calls. In addition, the big plus was the on screen navigation of the music, etc, on the PCM screen. The non-PCM cars could NOT do that. If you are patient you'll find one.

And contrary to popular opinion, the nav isn't bad at all. Sure, I'd prefer a touchscreen with 2013 maps but 99% of every destination I go to is in there and the nav isn't bad at all. If I need something quick (or not in the nav) I use my iPhone.

This is what I am talking about!!!

Decisions decisions!

Unfortunately all the cars I want to buy (Nav and no Nav) dont have motivated sellers... They are too busy with work and I cant even get questions or pictures sent (I m asking reasonable and educated questions)...
Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 PM
YseanY
Instructor

the retrofit is quite easy actually (you would have to take it to the dealer to activate the integration with the instrument cluster). when i did it back in 2007/2008, i think the nav unit/wires ran about $2k. the .1 nav is not all that great, but it works and i preferred the OEM fit/look vs aftermarket.

Quick Reply: How easy and how much to retrofit NAV to a 7.1?