Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I was not wow'ed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

its nice you can fit a frame back there, but boy that looks like a pain in the *** if you are doing it on even a semi-regular basis. i used to put my bike in the back seat of my 3-series coupe because i found it easier than using the trunk, and that got old very fast.

LOOK 585 with, thats right, Mavic Ksyrium - from the dark ages in 2005. i'd upgrade if i didn't spend so much fking money on car ****.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
996 GT3 is unmatched IMO. A real race car that is street legal.
Chriss Harris and I think one.of the lads from Shark Works stated they liked the 996 GT3 incomparison to newer models because of the lack of nannies helping you out. The true drivers don't need the nannies.

Too bad they never brought the 996GT3RS to the states. The Red one they had one BBC Top Gear is my absolute favorite 996 on record. If I wanted to do a mostly pure 996 GT3 for the track I would buy one and take it to Sharky and have him up it to 3.9 and do some of that RSS ****, with a cage too. Soo people could throw peanuts at me in the paddock like a monkee.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Chriss Harris and I think one.of the lads from Shark Works stated they liked the 996 GT3 incomparison to newer models because of the lack of nannies helping you out. The true drivers don't need the nannies.

Too bad they never brought the 996GT3RS to the states. The Red one they had one BBC Top Gear is my absolute favorite 996 on record. If I wanted to do a mostly pure 996 GT3 for the track I would buy one and take it to Sharky and have him up it to 3.9 and do some of that RSS ****, with a cage too. Soo people could throw peanuts at me in the paddock like a monkee.
+100!

I recall Rennlist member Thusly built two 996 GT3 RS "clones" mid-decade, and he was kind enough to let me drive one on the track.... Epic.

Wish I had been thinking clearly when he sold it 4-5 years ago... Heck of a deal.

-B
Old 09-17-2013, 11:25 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Concur on some of the bike stuff comments... That industry moves very quickly to new technology so your dated the next season. I ride Felt road and cross frames with 10 spd Di2 which was state of the art in 2009.. Now dated due to redesign and 11 spd. Crazy to try and keep up considering a dedicated track car to maintain. Mavic ksyiums were great crit wheels and bombproof! I'm sure all the cyclists on this forum noticed how Patrick Dempsey stays fit. Both sports absolutely crossover and compliment each other... I still ride 2-3 times a week when possible. No question fitness makes you faster in the car IMO Sorry for long winded post just my thoughts on two passions...
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
What else would you expect from a guy who daily drives a 20+ year old car.
hey, i might join ya.
lately 964 is in my dreams.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Boy did this thread get "old" quick... I'm kidding guys !

I'm not that young anymore. For sure less hair on my head then before...

John and henry... I want to give a GT3 so i can "concur " that feat. The gt2 is out of my price range for a toy i plan to use. If i was going to park it and leave it in the garage..or drive to cars and coffee.. sure then its fine but thats not my intention...

I had a cervelo with every top quality product, but it got stolen in SF... which made the push to move out of the city.. damn bastards... now i have a cf specialized standard stuff...
we should go ride.
24 chromium rides too.
i am less than 3 miles away from woodside cafe. we can scare cars up hwy 84 or climb like turtles up kings mt.
let's do it. AFTER you buy that damn car. after your wedding... what tomorrow? and you are still on RL?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JCL59
Concur on some of the bike stuff comments... That industry moves very quickly to new technology so your dated the next season. I ride Felt road and cross frames with 10 spd Di2 which was state of the art in 2009.. Now dated due to redesign and 11 spd. Crazy to try and keep up considering a dedicated track car to maintain. Mavic ksyiums were great crit wheels and bombproof! I'm sure all the cyclists on this forum noticed how Patrick Dempsey stays fit. Both sports absolutely crossover and compliment each other... I still ride 2-3 times a week when possible. No question fitness makes you faster in the car IMO Sorry for long winded post just my thoughts on two passions...
right, ksyrium are way too heavy for crit now. everyone is on CF hoops. i would love to try one and i havent ridden sew up for a decade now.... ok, i must splurge soon.

Originally Posted by drl
its nice you can fit a frame back there, but boy that looks like a pain in the *** if you are doing it on even a semi-regular basis. i used to put my bike in the back seat of my 3-series coupe because i found it easier than using the trunk, and that got old very fast.

LOOK 585 with, thats right, Mavic Ksyrium - from the dark ages in 2005. i'd upgrade if i didn't spend so much fking money on car ****.
i had roof on my E36 M3, it's really sturdy. i did over 100mph with bike on it. yes, i was less than 25 and IQ was b/n 0 and 2. i dont drive that fast anymore. u on ksyrium too. man, we are OLD.

we need group buy. zipp 202 i want. or featherlight....... suddenly my BBS motorsport wheels look like bargain next to CF hoops.

enrique, i think you have better response on GT3 if you just email me ;-)
Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
hey, i might join ya.
lately 964 is in my dreams.
Do it, John! 964 with MCS!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

we should go ride.
24 chromium rides too.
i am less than 3 miles away from woodside cafe. we can scare cars up hwy 84 or climb like turtles up kings mt.
let's do it. AFTER you buy that damn car. after your wedding... what tomorrow? and you are still on RL?
LOL!! for sure i'm in.
Wedding is on Sunday, would you like to come ? its local.
Public invitation to you

Waiting on that "right " car...im picky... ah i have to get back finishing the wedding power point slide show she is making me do...
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taiwanese made specialized bike I say favorite.. I have one.. Cf that stuff w Cf hoops.. Seat stuff.. But in figure losing few lbs is way cheaper than Cf parts on bike.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just recently started biking, but on the tri dork side of things, not the roadie side. Finding ways to blend my hobbies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macnuggetorg/9723219926/http://www.flickr.com/photos/macnuggetorg/9719990889/
I'll get the roof rack for my 997.1 RS but mostly I haul the bikes around in my Subaru.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

we should go ride.
24 chromium rides too.
John/Enrique - Let's go for a ride. I'm a 5 min walk away from mooty. I usually ride the Alpine loop on Sat morning. Working my way back to old LaHonda and Kings....
Old 09-19-2013, 01:57 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

That said... i have driven a gt3 996.. that thing is an animal. made me sweat like if i was in sauna...demanded everything of me x2...

???????????
I only had my 6 GT3 for 3 months, so am not an expert, but it could easily have been considered a DD.
Clutch was a bit stiff and the sacrificial front spoiler demands attention, but the chassis settings and ergonomics could easily have been enjoyed as a DD.

What did you find challenging about the 996 3 vs the 997 3?

Cheers

Craig
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

This might make the GT3 gods cry.... but I'm considering a .1 > .2 due to roof racks capability...

Yes i do plan to use the car..as a car. Any road cyclist here ?
Originally Posted by cyk
I'm an avid cyclist as well and while I have a few other cars that typically carry the bike(s), those days when I need the GT3 and the bike, there is nothing like that combo
Originally Posted by JCL59
Long time roadie here... Just a suggestion instead of racks, get a pocket bag for the frame and use a double wheel bag (ie Zipp) and put everything in back seat. This worked in my c4s with back seats so even easier without. I ride a 51cm frame so it fit easily I'm sure a 60 cm would be much tighter tho...
I wouldn't feel comfortable putting the bike inside the car(scratches not my thing!) I'm also a 51cm frame ...i already put the front wheels in the back and spare equipment in the back area..hence why i never put a full roll cage on my previous car... not that i needed anyways, i park on the apex when i go to the track.

decisions decisions...
Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+1

I have a Thule rack, but I much prefer to stuff my 58 cm road bike in the back seat. Keeps the bike out of the elements while driving in the mountains, and mainly it just feels better to have the bike tucked inside of the car during "spirited" driving.
Great to see so many "roadies" here.
One of the reasons I chose to keep 993 over 996 3 was easier to remove passenger seat and put the bike inside. 3 had Euro seats and Tequipement bar which added complexity.

See here if interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...gt3-owner.html

AND
Thanks for posting the photo's of riding on COTA, pretty cool!.

Craig
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2013, 12:23 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys whom put your bike inside the car are very brave... i love my bike but i love my car more...

Quick Reply: I was not wow'ed