Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New 991 GT3 starting to make a name for it self for all the right reasons!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I suppose one of these days there will be the -991GT3 where the driver pretends to steer, pretends to shift, while the driver makes loud VRRMMM noises, and the tach pretends to go to 12,000 RPM. When the driver has completed his (her) drive or laps, their koolaid immersion techniqies will enable them to believe they actually drove the car fast, and passed other drivers. Why actually drive when you can just experience it instead.

Maybe there will still be a few tracks where we can take our old school cars and actually drive them, spin them, fight the oversteer and understeer, accelerate, brake, follow closely, and fight to keep up with the old school cars around us.

I tried a .1 RS and did not like the electronic nannies. I thought about a .2 RS, then heard about them coming apart. I really like my 6GT3. The new 991GT3, where is the race heritage? There is no 991GT3 engine in the current RSR.

Pranqster
Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

TRAKCAR congrats on finally buying an old school 964 track car and joining the club! See you dont have to spend $150K to have some fun. Im sure by now you will understand my POV about the later cars each generation loosing something from the old ones. Its the same argument wit the new GT3. If you do some choice mods to the '64 you will keep up with the 7.1s on the track (assuming driven well). Rothsport do a nice package and Kais 964 race car that Steve W did is really fun on road and street and he likes to keep the GT3s well honest. Very rewarding cars. The 991 GT3RS will sit nicely beside this to remind you its not all about the latest, greatest and HP or straight line speed.

Anyway, Kudo to you. I thought you were all about having the latest toy, but I have to eat my hat as you have proven via your latest acquisition to be all about the experience.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Not a traitor: that's judgmental. He's a whistleblower. And a turncoat.
That's low ... you too Tal
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Not a traitor: that's judgmental. He's a whistleblower. And a turncoat.
Originally Posted by Macca
TRAKCAR congrats on finally buying an old school 964 track car and joining the club! See you dont have to spend $150K to have some fun. Im sure by now you will understand my POV about the later cars each generation loosing something from the old ones. Its the same argument wit the new GT3. If you do some choice mods to the '64 you will keep up with the 7.1s on the track (assuming driven well). Rothsport do a nice package and Kais 964 race car that Steve W did is really fun on road and street and he likes to keep the GT3s well honest. Very rewarding cars. The 991 GT3RS will sit nicely beside this to remind you its not all about the latest, greatest and HP or straight line speed.

Anyway, Kudo to you. I thought you were all about having the latest toy, but I have to eat my hat as you have proven via your latest acquisition to be all about the experience.
Macca, can't compare these fully built cars with a 997 RS. I had/have both, but my RSA is a not near as sorted as Kai's car. You're talking about a lot $$$ to have a car built like that, just not apples to apples comparison.
I agree that you don't need a 150K car to have fun, but these iterations of 964 are about those prices, also far from being a street car. Car for car my RSA is about 10 seconds slower than my old .2RS at Sebring. 2:15.0 RS and 2:26 RSA on Hoosiers and hot weather, so roughly 10 sec per lap.

If there is something to say about Peter, is that he's def. not that guy, actually completely the opposite, you would understand if you knew him.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I know what you are saying about the 964s. I have a 120K USD in my 993 and a Rothsport engine build pending so it will be definitely owe me more than my new 991 GT3 when I pick it up in a couple of weeks. Even though with a 380bhp 3.9 RR conversion it will ot be as quick as the stock 991 GT3, it will be a far more visceral drive, off that I have no doubt, and needless to say having cared for it 13 years its definitely a keeper.

The reference to Pete was based on the plethora of posts and reasoning behind a new GT3 purchase back on the other thread. I spend many posts nagging the guys that the new cars are not as hardcore as the old, sure they are fast and competent but watching you chase your mates 997.2 GT3 on the track reminds me a again and again what its like to do battle with far more competent cars on the track and come off not so far back but with a race suit streaked i n sweat and a huge grin on my face, hands shaking afterwards. Punting these lighter, smaller and less powerful cars full of brio & oversteer on your favourite track is at least as rewarding as the later GT3 cars in my opinion. Of course ask me in a few weeks time and I may be taking that all back (doing the Targa Florio Classic course with a few friends in Sicily).

Im sure Petes a good guy. Infact I know he is cause he just went and bought a 964 after owning a 4.0RS so thats pretty epic on its own. Having owned RS variants of these cars, road variants and now a beyond RS spec variant 993 I can only hope he enjoys driving them as much as us old skool guys do. 991 GT3 for daily driver and highly focussed 964 track day weapon. For 50K USD Steve will build you a 360 bhp 3.8 100+ hr engine (based on Rothsport racing intake Pleneum & GT3 muffler with 3-1 header conversion) and youll never need another track car again!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Walter has been quite consistent on that for as long as I can remember -- at least before the Carrera GT, perhaps around the time of the first 996 GT3 (circa 2000.)

It just brings back the remorse of selling a pristine 965 RS America -- nowhere near the RS itself, but still, with no sunroof, just a/c, LSD, white, '94 (which meant rear seats, which were lighter than the '93 with twin gloveboxes in carpeted plywood) and in white.

Talk about manual cars, the RSA had manual steering, 1st was too short, and not enough power (272 hp?) to use 5th gear, so it was a 3 speed 3 pedal car!

Maybe it's time to find a really nice 964, get the engine built by 9m, get someone to seam weld the tub, do an integrated roll cage and get the vanity plate "pendulum" ...
I don't want to mess with the engine too much but the car is regeared.
I hope it's fun enough to go run it with Eddie and other 2:25 cars. I hope the Rustand will do low 30's and rented a 73RS and 996CUP for my next weekend at Sebring. I'll know more than and run one of those until the 991RS arrives and hopefully someone hands me the keys to a 991GT3 Bedford i do the RS euro delivery, sell and get a 997RS...

Thanks Eddie, Macca I can appreciate you eating your hat. Glad to reciprocate if I fall in love with the 991GTR :-). BTW the 991 GT3 is still the funniest and most likely the most dependable track DE weapon...
Old 11-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete Ill wait until I do Euro delivery 6 Dec, I should know by the time I get to Sicily if Im going to need to buy you a hat to eat LOL! the '64 will be real fun...enjoy!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

This is encouraging, std in the RS..
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
All you have to do is watch 11:50 to 12:20 of this video.

That says it all. It isn't a Mezger motor, it's lost steering feel, and on the street you miss the manual. Porsche could have stuck the 3.8 Mezger in the base with 450hp, added in the wiz-bang kit and sold every one of these they built. Why didn't they? Simple. The Mezger motor costs more to produce and Porsche is all about profits these days. The GT3 as we know it is dead -- long live the new 991 GTS-R with powerkit.
Exactly, even EVO said the car lost engine + steering feel.-so..

But these videos dont change anything, even if a test trive will fascinate me, the car lost already when it was born:

1. Nothing in common with 991 CUP -
2. Engine not race proven yet, if it wins 2014 LE MANS..but I highly doubt it will be there
3. 991 intererior, plus no visible engine bay...compare that to a Ferrari or Lambo..
4. No manual availble..is only the tip of the iceberg.
5. Sport Auto Superstest is a wake up call...

The real value of this car will be known once it hits the second hand market. Lets see how much people woudl be willing to pay for it then..
Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

+1 my RS America taught me more about driving than just about any other 911 perhaps with the exception of the original 996.1 GT3 Clubsport ...

f*** all driver aids ... and when you put it all together it was reward in itself!

964 uber alles

p.s
I still desperately aspire to a 996.2 RS white/riv blue ...
Old 11-15-2013, 03:40 PM
ricster
Banned

MT is where its at, no stick, no fun
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, the 996 GT3 RS is the best 911 there has ever been. There I said it. And the white/blue combo is exactly what's in my mind.

I get bored instructing paddle shifts let alone driving one.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

996CUP
Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like all I have to do is wait 8 months for the early adaptors to sell for peanuts their never tracked or driven 991 GT3 because they can't accept the lack of stick, because of the other hordes staying away from pdk I will get a bargain!!! (will never happen...)

Jay.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Looks like all I have to do is wait 8 months for the early adaptors to sell for peanuts their never tracked or driven 991 GT3 because they can't accept the lack of stick, because of the other hordes staying away from pdk I will get a bargain!!! (will never happen...)

Jay.
Rather the opposite I would say: wait for 8 month to see whether its track reliable..

Even if so, you can really get nice 991S bargains at the moment..

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 starting to make a name for it self for all the right reasons!