Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

How many inches is the .2 GT3 front chin spoiler from the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How many inches is the .2 GT3 front chin spoiler from the ground?

Before lift kit activated and after? I have seen the video. And I think that the kit lifts the front spoiler by about 1.5 inches? I would like to compare to my C63 Black Series front lip. I have a slight elevation change up into my driveway. The Black Series handles it fine at an angle. Got me thinking I wonder how much lower the GT3 will be before/after lift. Does anyone know standard lip height from ground then post-lift? thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your ride height. GT3s have coilovers, and not everyone runs the same ride height, so this answer will vary.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Depends on your ride height. GT3s have coilovers, and not everyone runs the same ride height, so this answer will vary.
Fair.

At factory settings, if anyone is still at that height
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Problem is porsche nose sticks out quite a bit. Just live with the fact you will thrash it. It's disposable. Measuring wont do much good to compare to your merc.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

For stock ride height on a 997.2 GT3, front spoiler height level above the tarmac is just a shade under 4 inches, or 100mm.

Sorry, I didn't have factory nose lift on my car.....so I don't have the actual "lifted" measurement for you.....however, I would estimate that it would be an additional 45mm for factory lift and it was an additional 60mm with my CarGraphic Airlift system.

Doug N
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 AM
GT3.2
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not enough
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3.75". Keep in mind though, mine has rubbed many a times and hence has worn a little higher off the pavement than a new one. Whether you have front end lift or not, you will scrape at times. Front end lift needs to be activated manually (doh!). It only works up to 29 mph. The problem is not just the height of the spoiler off the ground, but also the length at which it extends off the front end. There are places you will not be able to avoid it scraping. Every parking garage for example is a challenge. The spats in front of the front wheels will also scrap a lot. I've worn about 1" off the height of mine. For this particular part, Porsche only sells the fender liner assembly and not just the lip. So let it wear down and replace it when you go to sell the car.

This is not a cushy Benz and there are a lot of issues you have to be ready to deal with when owning one. Scraping is just one of them. The clutch is very heavy and not easy to drive in traffic. The steering and shifter take more effort. The shifter is extremely stiff in cold temperatures. It doesn't pull well down low, really no torque below 2500 rpms. The brakes are extremely noisy all the time (only race pads are available) and doesn't brake that well when cold, particularly at lower speeds. It is strangely a lot less fatiguing to drive it for an hour on the track than an hour in traffic. Reading your posts, you don't really understand what owning a GT3 is like and it isn't well matched to your objectives. There are many like you who have bought and sold these cars in a short amount of time due to finding out it is not what they expected. A GTS will be a lot more to your liking based on your posts.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

10GT3, thanks for the information. I stayed a little quiet the first time you mentioned that I shouldnt buy a GT3, I think I will comment back a bit this time. I have been a Rennlister since 2004 and I have owned several air cooled varieties, and many other muscle and enthusiast non-Porsche cars. I have driven many more Porsches extensively - 996 turbo, 997 turbo, 996 gt3, 997 gt3, early RSR recreations, etc.. Including at the Porsche corporate track in Birmingham. I am not an expert driver, but I can hold my own as a novice track junkie (also spent some time in formula v). This car is just to be used as a primary street weekend fun car, there seem to be many on here that drive their GT3s that way. I can tell you that I doubt its as loud, raw, hard to shift as my 66 SWB was .

I wouldnt call my Black Series "cushy" (you just may not be aware of the model).The lip is actually about same on that car, I just measured. Anyway, no defensiveness intended, I really appreciate the info, it wasnt meant as a deciding factor, I found my GT3 and I am buying. It was more now just getting a sense of whether it was lower for my driveway than current car. It is not. One thing you are right about - I always have the bug around the next fun car, and typically dont hold my toy cars more than a couple years, but that has nothing to do with the model. I wouldnt be happy with a GTS unless it was a daily driver type car.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mrsullivan; 08-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

As mentioned several times before, the overhang has more substantial implications than the simply the vertical clearance.

The approach angle of the GT3 is probably HALF of the c63 black. This should give you an idea:
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
3.75". Keep in mind though, mine has rubbed many a times and hence has worn a little higher off the pavement than a new one. Whether you have front end lift or not, you will scrape at times. Front end lift needs to be activated manually (doh!). It only works up to 29 mph. The problem is not just the height of the spoiler off the ground, but also the length at which it extends off the front end. There are places you will not be able to avoid it scraping. Every parking garage for example is a challenge. The spats in front of the front wheels will also scrap a lot. I've worn about 1" off the height of mine. For this particular part, Porsche only sells the fender liner assembly and not just the lip. So let it wear down and replace it when you go to sell the car.

This is not a cushy Benz and there are a lot of issues you have to be ready to deal with when owning one. Scraping is just one of them. The clutch is very heavy and not easy to drive in traffic. The steering and shifter take more effort. The shifter is extremely stiff in cold temperatures. It doesn't pull well down low, really no torque below 2500 rpms. The brakes are extremely noisy all the time (only race pads are available) and doesn't brake that well when cold, particularly at lower speeds. It is strangely a lot less fatiguing to drive it for an hour on the track than an hour in traffic. Reading your posts, you don't really understand what owning a GT3 is like and it isn't well matched to your objectives. There are many like you who have bought and sold these cars in a short amount of time due to finding out it is not what they expected. A GTS will be a lot more to your liking based on your posts.
+1
Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

As Serge says, "Overhang" is the key not just vertical clearance. Coming from a lowered Moton equipped 6GT3 with Cup lip to my .1RS took only @10 min and a couple of miles in which to destroy the front lip as I drove for the first time.
You break it, you buy it! I did and never looked back. BTW, sold a well sorted RENNTech E55 in order to own. They truly are apples vs. oranges.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:02 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks again for all the info... my black series has a fairly protruding pointed low spoiler also... but less so than the GT3...

its been a fun car to own - comes stock with a full adjustable coilover suspension, dual wet clutch transmission, lightweight wheels, compound brakes, special version of the SLS 6.3, significant body work, etc. Having driven the typical Mercedes 4 door cars, this was quite a different ownership experience. Not sure if people have seen Chris Harris test it against the GT3 RS 4.0... you can guess the "winner"

Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Black Series cars, in my experience, are very stiff. Not cushy at all. In fact, my CKL63 BS was much more fatiguing on a longer drive than my RS. I would climb out of the car feeling like my spine had been compressed three inches. And while it had gobs of low end, the GT3/RS will not dissappoint due it's lower weight and gearing. Granted, my car was an older version, so I'm sure they've progressed, but I think he's heading in the right direction. I think a GTS would be a let down.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,720 Likes on 4,273 Posts

For any of you GT3 Owners worried about their front lips or just wanting some peace of mind for whatever you might encounter as you take your GT3s out for fun, I have a Cargraphic Airlift kit for sale in the Marketplace with a separate brand new external compressor (so you don't have to use your spare one), along with the roof console switch. I bought it for my C2S, not realizing it was a different model and will only fit the GT2 and GT3 cars with the larger inner spring Diameters Let me know if you or anyone else is interested. Thanks.

Quick Reply: How many inches is the .2 GT3 front chin spoiler from the ground?