Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trofeo R tire damage, use or defect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
problem is you guys are running street tires on street cars with street setups... ON THE TRACK.

change the setup on your cars and run track tires on the track. duh.
These are R Compound tires designed for track/street. Trofeo however requires the most amount of negative camber than other r comp tires. ToyoR888 requires the least amount. This is not the first reports I've seen and heard about with Trofeo having construction issues.

Running track tires...pure track tires like Hoosier or even slicks for a lot of guys is not possible.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
What M3EvoBR said. And...

My car has a track alignment.

Front: -2.6 deg camber, 8.1 deg caster, 0 toe
Rear: -2.3 deg camber, 0.17 toe

AND, I use a pyrometer to measure temps across the tires and I am usually within 10 deg across the tire.

"duh."
^^This. I'm at -2.5fr, -2.0rr. Probably about the minimum on the Trofeo R's but I'm getting pretty even wear.

Give us a little credit Clark. This is a manufacturing defect, not a bunch of tools misusing tires. I'm thinking Pirelli isn't in the habit of giving out free tires so there's likely some culpability on their part.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't some guys in F1 have similar issues

ILLCOMM it does look like you have been running over on the shoulder, were the tyre pressures high enough?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Didn't some guys in F1 have similar issues

ILLCOMM it does look like you have been running over on the shoulder, were the tyre pressures high enough?
I was running 29F/30R hot, which is what Pirelli recommends on their website.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
roncfpz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a partial delamination of a regular Trofeo last year at VIR. It was about a 2 inch wide strip and luckily tire did not deflate as it was on the back straight. It did cause a lot of damage to rear diffuser but could've been worse.

I contacted Woodman, they immediately contacted Pirelli and had the tire shipped to them for inspection. They sent me a set of Trofeo Rs for my trouble. So far I've used a couple sets of the Rs with no problems. I run -2.8 front and -2.0 rear. They are sticky as hell and they don't like high pressures either.

Quick Reply: Trofeo R tire damage, use or defect?