Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The ultimate 4 or 5 seater car for gt3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Your M5 already has the baddest engine ever found in a 4 door car in the history of automobiles.

You have a very easy problem to solve - keep smiling behind the wheel of your E60. To even MATCH the thrill, you'll end up spending 3x what your car is worth.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
I just got a 2012 amg wagon (no awd like the newer one) with the performance package, LSD and ceramic brakes and love it for a daily driver...
Sure the mileage is less than stellar, it is a twin turbo 550hp/590tq V8, so I knew that going in but the utility, ergonomics, speed, sound, etc -- all great.

I would trade it straight across for an FF though :-)
I test drove a '12 E63 amg wagon with PP and, at the time, I preferred the NA 6.2 liter in my C63 by a HUGE margin. If you don't care about MPG, the NA engine is really the one to have - more character, better sound, more fun. Felt just as fast even with a 100hp deficit.

Provided that it is large enough for your needs, and again, you don't care about fuel costs, I think the C63 is the best DD out there.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Tesla are on track to sell more cars globally than Porsche sold in NA as recently as 2009. Wait until the SUV is out.

Everyone has a Porsche or a Merc.
Cool car but until supercharging stations can be found within 100 mile radius or real usable range increases to 400-500 miles I see them more as urban fashion statements.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Cool car but until supercharging stations can be found within 100 mile radius or real usable range increases to 400-500 miles I see them more as urban fashion statements.
All depends on your location and use case. Two things to add:

At least some people have figured out how to disable traction control on the model S. I know this because I've seen one drifting on the street, something it does well.

There is a 4wd version of the model S on the way, I suspect it will be significantly faster.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I test drove a '12 E63 amg wagon with PP and, at the time, I preferred the NA 6.2 liter in my C63 by a HUGE margin. If you don't care about MPG, the NA engine is really the one to have - more character, better sound, more fun. Felt just as fast even with a 100hp deficit.

Provided that it is large enough for your needs, and again, you don't care about fuel costs, I think the C63 is the best DD out there.
Good point... I prefer the turbo torque for dd duty
AND
669hp and 734tq a flash away
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/697
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
most daily drivers don't need 400-500 miles before they're back home.
Long range capacity drive up costs unecessarily. I'd wager the average commute for those cars is probably only a fraction of 400 miles.

Now for SUVs taken on road trips, that's probably a hybrid or all dinosaur bones proposition. But as evidenced by Tesla's 5K sale per month sales, the meat of the market is short range cars.

And I wouldn't downplay the strong position of the Tesla as a first mover in this high end space. It's only popular among the educated wealthy for now. But like Apple making only a premium smartphone first, and now moving into budget versions, Tesla will be in a good position to use present experience towards down-ticket options for a far bigger pool of educated but less wealthy buyers.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perfectlap
most daily drivers don't need 400-500 miles before they're back home.
Long range capacity drive up costs unecessarily. I'd wager the average commute for those cars is probably only a fraction of 400 miles.

Now for SUVs taken on road trips, that's probably a hybrid or all dinosaur bones proposition. But as evidenced by Tesla's 5K sale per month sales, the meat of the market is short range cars.

And I wouldn't downplay the strong position of the Tesla as a first mover in this high end space. It's only popular among the educated wealthy for now. But like Apple making only a premium smartphone first, and now moving into budget versions, Tesla will be in a good position to use present experience towards down-ticket options for a far bigger pool of educated but less wealthy buyers.
Not taking anything away from the car. It's cool as I said and the most attractive none-internal combustion vehicle out there at the moment. But, turn on the radio, lights, wipers, and A/C and then see what happens to your range.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Not taking anything away from the car. It's cool as I said and the most attractive none-internal combustion vehicle out there at the moment. But, turn on the radio, lights, wipers, and A/C and then see what happens to your range.
Actually not very much - it has an effect but is easily managed. I've driven my model S all over California and it takes planning but it can be done and is only getting easier over time with more and more charging infrastructure being built out...

For normal day to day use its no problem and road trips can be handled...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,901 Posts

And regarding a Tesla vs and M5 I submit the following video...

Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Actually not very much - it has an effect but is easily managed. I've driven my model S all over California and it takes planning but it can be done and is only getting easier over time with more and more charging infrastructure being built out...

For normal day to day use its no problem and road trips can be handled...
You're in a geographically preferred location for Tesla. Do a weekend road trip from NYC to Montreal and come back to me. Not saying they won't get there but it will take some time.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

The Tesla hits keep on coming.

Study the business model not the car.
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...mp-reader-card

Large crumple zones: highest safety rating ever scored.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...-tested-2013-8
Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the opposite of most of you guys. I have track cars.....I want a rolling Barka lounger for my DD use. Personally I think a Range Rover S/C or a F150 platinum with Ecoboost is a great DD. My DD right now is an Equus and It can't be beat for Bang for the buck(It just can't tow my race cars unlike the 1st/2nd choice).
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Equus is an awesome car. I was at a Hyundai dealership overseeing a first car purchase by a female friend (knows nothing about negotiating/cars). Guy walks in a suit. Looks over the Equus. Stares at the sticker, a few words are exchanged, done deal.
The sales guy told me they'll be openking separate dealerships to sell the Equus line. Sounds like a high end Range Rover/Merc type SUV is coming too.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I think the opposite of most of you guys. I have track cars.....I want a rolling Barka lounger for my DD use. Personally I think a Range Rover S/C or a F150 platinum with Ecoboost is a great DD. My DD right now is an Equus and It can't be beat for Bang for the buck(It just can't tow my race cars unlike the 1st/2nd choice).
I do have a Lexus LX570 for long trips and hauling duties (boat), but I hear you. The fantastic thing about the lexus is its world class offroading ability, I have followed pink jeeps in sedona to some very hard terrain, much to the surprise of the drivers and passengers of these custom built offroaders.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
don't discount the AMG ability to be be barka lounger like... just push a few buttons/turn a few *****
Drive: comfort/automatic mode
Seat: ac on and massage on
better than my couch
and it (wagon) has cargo capacity and seats for 5, older ones have seats for 7 optional

I bought the wagon from a guy that said he would never sell it if it was not for the Tesla... he had to have one... he bought the top tesla and checked all the option boxes... even has rear facing jump seats

If you life fits the Tesla, it is a hell of a proposition

Quick Reply: The ultimate 4 or 5 seater car for gt3 owner