Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 pickup and cross country drive...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to do a road trip in a GT3/RS/4.0.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Like everyone says bring a v1 and have some fun getting to know her. Did the same thing from Springfield to Cali a couple of years ago. The best road trip I've ever had:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/road-t...11-gt3-rs.html
Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I drove my RS from Miami to TX a few years back...loved it. Also have done tons of fun road trips (euro delivery GT3, CA to TX, TX to CA over a dozen total long trips)

tips:

GET A RADAR DETECTOR

stay hydrated.

don't drive drowsy- I like to alternate different types of foods to snack on and different drinks. sweetened green tea, red bull (new cranberry flavor is really good), crunchy stuff, gum, sparkling water, etc etc. If you get sleepy, it's better to power nap for 30 mins than to crash off a bridge.

wear comfortable clothes you can layer and that won't chafe while you're driving 900 miles a day or more. I really like lululemon sweats and long sleeve cotton t shirts.

call your bank and explain you will be mastercarding across the country. you don't want to get stuck in alabama with no credit card at 1am.

you will be driving west into the sunsets each day so pick up some sunscreen, wear a hat, and wear sunglasses. you will have approximately 7-10 hours of the sun directly in your face.

Also- I would avoid taking the 10 freeway through southern Texas- without looking the drive on the 20 freeway is much shorter from memory. it rejoins where it needs to. No matter how you slice it, TX will be a long long long leg of your trip. Whatever you do, DO NOT stop for the night in El Paso. tons of car jackings and thefts there. try to make it through into tucson AZ if you have to sleep for an extended period. I used to drive from Dallas to LA twice a year or more and most of the time did it straight through or stopped in NM or AZ for a short sleep depending on what time I'd leave.

Driving through Louisiana is really creepy at night! enjoy that...bring some creepy music to listen to.
Lulu has men's sweats? Huh!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread. I had a buddy who completed his residency at Vanderbilt in Nashville, and he'd blow off steam driving his sweet '89 Targa on the Natchez Trace. Since then, when either of us buy another Porsche - we drive it to the Trace for a break-in. We've been doing this now for over 13 years and it doesn't get old... We have done this with 5 cars at this point.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Great thread. I had a buddy who completed his residency at Vanderbilt in Nashville, and he'd blow off steam driving his sweet '89 Targa on the Natchez Trace. Since then, when either of us buy another Porsche - we drive it to the Trace for a break-in. We've been doing this now for over 13 years and it doesn't get old... We have done this with 5 cars at this point.

Enjoy your trip.
Took my 993 for a drive down the Trace last weekend. Beautiful scenery...even if the speed limit is low!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 AM
scbeast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile final report

Just wanted to post that the trip went well.

After a red eye, I picked up the car in Tampa Monday AM from the Greek. As it had a lien, there have been some hoops to jump through with the electronic title system so I'm still waiting for a paper title in order to register.

After exchanging the goods and hanging out at bit, I picked up my copilot and we crossed the country. I saw friends in FL and TX that I haven't seen in years! That's gotta be the second best part of driving across country...closely followed by eating local foods. We ended up staying in Baton Rouge and El Paso...yes, El Paso! I was very nervous about that. Despite all the warnings, Las Cruces was pretty much out of major chain hotels as we were approaching El Paso at 5am Weds...and it was time to sleep! The Radisson gave us the earliest check-in I've ever gotten - 5:30am and I parked right in front of the entrance

Other notes: no muscle relaxants required, never had to use the glock, pretty damn reasonable mileage - low 20s mpg when we weren't doing speed tests, that front lift kit was a god-send at the stops, around 2K into the trip - i would have killed for a recline function on the sport buckets, the car already had several dozen rock chips to the front and roof so i didn't bother with the tape - figured i'd need a respray once i got home anyways

Would I do it again? No - not like this - I've crossed the country 5 times but 3K in 3 days is rough. I'd spread it out and do 500 miles / day if I could make the time.

The car, btw, is mechanically sound so I'm most happy about that. Many thanks the Greek for making the transaction as smooth as possible.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Was Nick wearing a tutu?

LOL, I told you to take your time, but if you did not need muscle relaxers it was probably doable :-)
How many miles before you start laughing uncontrollably from exhaustion? ;-)

More importantly, another story to tell!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did 3200 in 3 days, I know what you mean. Missoula, MT at 4:30 am with my copilot calling every Hotel we can find and the only one available is 30 miles farther outside of town. Was the hardest half an hour of driving I've done. Was the end of a 14hour stint in the car....

Quick Reply: GT3 pickup and cross country drive...any advice?