Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 pickup and cross country drive...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to reiterate... have some cash on hand... if you get in a jam and need help... cash is universal in a way credit cards are not

since you are going to FLA to pick it up, you can likely get a pistol with no serial numbers on any corner... and just dispose of it when you get home... :-)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scbeast
Hey Rennlisters,

I've been a long time lurker on the boards and am finally getting into a 997.2 GT3. Got my plane ticket and I am planning to pick it up from the The Greek next week!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...997-2-gt3.html

Any advice on the drive from Tampa to LA?...I'm thinking maybe two nights for sleep on the ~36 hour drive.

Someone recommended painter tape (no clear bra). I also feel a little uneasy w/o a spare, but I do have AAA and Mastercard

Cheers!
Tampa to LA?

Tampa to LA is not adventure. Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks all in one drive is adventure.

Unless you LOVE freeway driving... and I mean can think of nothing better than freeway driving... SHIP IT.

And, if you do drive it, plan for a lot more than 36 hours. Took me that long to go from Houston to San Jose.

My advice? SHIP IT... or hate yourself by the time you reach Fort Stockton.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have it trailer'd. Seems like unecessary paint abuse. There are more scenic road trips you can take.

But if you do go, pick up an external battery pack for your phones/tablets/laptops. Anker make some good ones that hold 10K mAh for like $50 on Amazon. I keep a slim one handy, its the exact size of a Ipod Touch, $30 at Staples. If you are charging in the car, BELL makes a cig charger that's 2 AMP if charging one device, it can charge two at once. Convenient for quick charging on the go.
And definitely make sure all the tools are in the tool case. My mechanic or someone forgot to put the lug nut wrench back in there and I ended up with a flat at 2AM in 10 degree weather on weekday... and my new phone from Verizon decided to stop working....
Luckily a nice guy in an SUV pulled over with a lug wrench. I now keep a proper lug wrench and mini compressor in the frunk.
I also have a burner phone with pre-paid time for worst case scenario.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did West Palm to Seattle last year about this time. Had a buddy fly out with me.

Make sure to have the car aligned for highway driving if possible, if it's aligned for the track, you'll eat up tires on the way home!

Bring a foam mouse pad for the center arm rest and some bolsters or pillows that you can move around for the seats.

Car has 3 cigarette lighter outlets, so just bring your chargers, should be good to go!

Have fun and take pictures!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Jamie is correct...for that many miles have The Greek get Vortex in Tampa to give it a proper highway alignment. Also you should look into having a clear bra installed...especially with a dark car like the Greeks.
I've done this drive before. Especially the Tampa to New Orleans part of the trip. Unless you only plan on pissing once a day and eating drive through food....you might make it in 2 nights but you will be sore and stiff.

Valentine Radar Detector
hand held CB radio
plenty of water so your muscles do not get to stiff and sore
ipod for tunes
Map
Buy a good knife when you get here unless you are checking a bag then bring a gun
camera
AAA for towing
Precision Instruments torque wrench for the center locks because no shop or tow truck will have the huge torque wrench to deal with center lock nuts.
Small light hand jack that goes to 3" min height. Tow truck jacks will not fit under car!

Remember this car like to be driven fast and if you happen to run off the pavement no worries this car is use to it. ;-)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

I've done Palm Beach to Vegas once in 44 hours only stopping for Diesel but that was in a brand new luxury truck.

If you take your time, stop at some parks and race tracks, take the scenic B roads you'll have fun and see some cool scenery.

Radar detector and a foreign driver's license is ideal.

Stop at 11 am to pee, don't drink the rest of the day until 1 hour from the hotel, book hotels after peeing you'll know where you will be in the evening before the sell out.

Buy a truckers atlas and take every shortcut on the map. It will be slower but it makes for good stories. Bring your own Liquor, the hotel will have ice.

Muscle relaxers and Advil.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scbeast
Hey Rennlisters,

I've been a long time lurker on the boards and am finally getting into a 997.2 GT3. Got my plane ticket and I am planning to pick it up from the The Greek next week!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...997-2-gt3.html

Any advice on the drive from Tampa to LA?...I'm thinking maybe two nights for sleep on the ~36 hour drive.

Someone recommended painter tape (no clear bra). I also feel a little uneasy w/o a spare, but I do have AAA and Mastercard

Cheers!
I did one from Palms Springs to Washington DC. Leave Friday at 12:00PM PST and arrived Sunday night. DO NOT DO THAT. Enjoy Texas and New Mexico. 5 hour energy,red bull, and ADHD medicine.....:-)
Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've done Palm Beach to Vegas once in 44 hours only stopping for Diesel but that was in a brand new luxury truck.

If you take your time, stop at some parks and race tracks, take the scenic B roads you'll have fun and see some cool scenery.

Radar detector and a foreign driver's license is ideal.

Stop at 11 am to pee, don't drink the rest of the day until 1 hour from the hotel, book hotels after peeing you'll know where you will be in the evening before the sell out.

Buy a truckers atlas and take every shortcut on the map. It will be slower but it makes for good stories. Bring your own Liquor, the hotel will have ice.

Muscle relaxers and Advil.
You sound like a child molester tracing a filthy plan. Enough already with the bad advices

Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I picked mine up in WV and drove home to WI. In Indiana got caught in hail storm in the middle of nowhere at 2am. Thought it would be ruined for sure. Luckily only one small dimple which paintless dent removal popped out. If you could have clear bra done before ideal. Altenativley 3M or someone makes a spray on temporary one. Search on here and I think U will find info. Also second the alignment for street driving. Don't let all the doomsday ship it or else people get you down. It is only a car (although a really fun one). Bumpers can be repainted. Would also recommend tunes, snacks, radar detector. Above else have fun and enjoy. If I had time and you wanted help I would take the trip with you. One only lives once. Enjoy the car. It is meant to be driven.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

a foreign driver's license is ideal.
What about the registration and insurance?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

read this thread, ur nuts

greek car is great, but all gt3 suck for long trips
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Would agree with you Randy. Had no problem with one long trip but would not want to make it a regular thing.

Occasional road trips fun though.

Last edited by tasman; 08-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Greek car is nice and vortex is close to Tampa International Airport.
I bought the trailer it used to get carried on

I have crossed country twice in a GT3. More fun then a Carrera and more interesting then a Panamera.
At first i didnt think it would make a great grand tourer but now i dont think i would want to do the journey in any other car. It keeps it sporty and fun.

You will want a street alignment and decent tires.
Radar detector is a must.
Get clear bra before you go or at least spray the nose of the car with WD40.
Carry a tube of Slime and make sure the compressor in the car works incase of flat.
Look for points of interest to break up the journey. (I typically go out of my way for various haunts as seen on triple D.)

The new to you car experience should last the whole drive and keep things fun.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
What about the registration and insurance?
Company name ideally.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

I did Houston to New Orleans, got good parking, some sleep(too excited about the car)then drove 14 hrs to Miami-at night it's way better. At the end I was getting antsy since I didn't want to stop and sleep again, 14 hrs isn't that bad but then again the last 2 hrs were getting crazy. I did speed quite a bit, especially late night-everyone was doing 80-90mph, even the big trucks. Radar detector was great, though I got lucky, 2 troopers didn't have them on and I had no warning, just lucky at that stretch I wasn't flying. I did 140 steady for quite a while on the turnpike, around 2AM- it is irresponsible but the road was pretty much empty in that area
Also, late at night near Gainesville I was low on gas, stations were closed and pumps shut off, so don't let your tank go to E flat before you pull over-

Have a nice trip!

Quick Reply: GT3 pickup and cross country drive...any advice?