Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cayman or GT2? Why are there so many arguments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013 | 07:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty

this quote was responding to TRAKCAR's comment. NO one, even pros, or god himself is going to pass trakcar's GT3RS in a stock cayman. u have to be kidding.
I passed trakcar's 3.0 with a Cayman, not a Pro, not God.
Old 07-21-2013 | 07:39 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
That said, he's selling the GT2 and instead adding power to the Cayman. Primarily because the turbo lag in the GT2 spoils the fun in tight stuff. His belief is that for an equal total investment the Cayman can be quicker, we'll see.
Time and lots of $$$ will prove him wrong, I have seen it way too many times.

Not even in their natural element (autoX) with tight turns and no power sections can the Cayman/Boxster keep up with a GT3, much less a GT2.
Old 07-21-2013 | 07:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Video?
Old 07-21-2013 | 09:11 PM
moneypenny
AutoX

I'm not a troll, I'm just trying to figure out why Cayman / Boxster people are giving me so much slack.

This is what one said:

"I wish I'd had it when I passed that new GT3 at Barber last month - just to rub it in a little. Sucks when your $200K car gets blue flagged for a Boxster."
Old 07-21-2013 | 09:18 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Just because a car is capable, does not mean the driver of said car is capable... I used to pass 911 Turbo's and GT3's in my 03 M5 as well, does that mean an M5 is a better car, not hardly...

Now I have an RS and it's night and day...
Old 07-21-2013 | 09:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
was he drunk?
or we're u on EPO?
Old 07-21-2013 | 09:42 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

GT2s have virtually no boost lag. What you think you're talking about is boost threshold. GT2 @3000rpm, below boost threshold, has more power than GT3/RS has at peak.
Old 07-21-2013 | 09:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by moneypenny
I'm not a troll, I'm just trying to figure out why Cayman / Boxster people are giving me so much slack.

This is what one said:

"I wish I'd had it when I passed that new GT3 at Barber last month - just to rub it in a little. Sucks when your $200K car gets blue flagged for a Boxster."
bring that guy to me.
I will trade my 4.o with him straight across.
do u think he will keep his pos to take my 4.0
until that person has over 100,000 mies on gt3 and 100,000 miles on bx cay, frankly he rally should just STFU.

u can listen to a bunch of n informed ppl bragging about superiority of their cars or just drive.

I'll go buy a cay s tonight, u go find one of 600gt3 4.0 or one of 500 gt2rs and w e trade flat across. until tha t happens over and over, it's clearly which car is the one ppl really want.

so why don't u bring over those immature kids and maybe they can learn something ....
Old 07-21-2013 | 10:24 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

bring that guy to me.
I will trade my 4.o with him straight across.
do u think he will keep his pos to take my 4.0
until that person has over 100,000 mies on gt3 and 100,000 miles on bx cay, frankly he rally should just STFU.

u can listen to a bunch of n informed ppl bragging about superiority of their cars or just drive.

I'll go buy a cay s tonight, u go find one of 600gt3 4.0 or one of 500 gt2rs and w e trade flat across. until tha t happens over and over, it's clearly which car is the one ppl really want.

so why don't u bring over those immature kids and maybe they can learn something ....

Mooty's on a roll

Peter
Old 07-21-2013 | 11:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcastle
same driver, GT2 will be faster. Cayman is easier for a less experienced driver to find the cars full potential. the torque and horsepower of the GT2 will dominate on most tracks. As mentioned above, they really are two VERY different cars. You need to drive both and decide which feels best to you. I own a GT3RS and recently bought a Cayman. It's a great little track car. Excellent balance. Eats up the curves. Just needs more power. The Cayman does require some modifications (brakes, cooling, suspension) to handle advanced track duties. The GT2 needs very little to go out on track.
And SHORT ENOUGH to sit in the Cayman.

Would have already owned a Cayman if it weren't for the Midget height prerequisite! Being 6'5"!!!
Old 07-22-2013 | 01:22 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Time and lots of $$$ will prove him wrong, I have seen it way too many times.

Not even in their natural element (autoX) with tight turns and no power sections can the Cayman/Boxster keep up with a GT3, much less a GT2.
Ha. Amusing.

My friend won PCA parade nationals outright in a GT3, trophied at SCCA nationals in his Cayman and is faster in his GT2 than either of those cars. He has a pretty good idea how they stack up for his usage. I've had seat time in all of them as well and agree, but you're welcome to your point of view.

Last edited by Petevb; 07-22-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2013 | 01:29 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
GT2s have virtually no boost lag. What you think you're talking about is boost threshold. GT2 @3000rpm, below boost threshold, has more power than GT3/RS has at peak.
Are you kidding, or? Because even a mighty GT2 RS at 3k rpm has roughly half the power of a 3.8 GT3 RS at full chat.

Last edited by Petevb; 07-22-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2013 | 02:10 AM
edgy
Banned

The only upside of the Cayman I can see is the financial one, if you wreck it. it won't hurt as much..

but if your considering GT2 you are obviously not worried about counting $$$$

took my wife too long to deliver my first child. I got bored in the hospital, I bought an RS online with iPhone
Old 07-22-2013 | 02:39 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Pretty misleading,... I was driving, learning Sebring for first time and Peter was my passenger. We waved you by when I couldn't figure out if the next turn was left or right.

Car for car, no comparison. Rad is surely more experienced than me at Sebring and likely a better driver as well. Re: this topic, RLers gave OT some good pointers. Nothing more to add. 5pgs on a useless thread.
Old 07-22-2013 | 03:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You did, go hang out with Moneypenny

was he drunk?
or we're u on EPO?
Drunk with vertigo likely. Cool down lap also possible.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Mooty's on a roll

Peter
You don't say, I love it when he's of his meds.

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Pretty misleading,... I was driving, learning Sebring for first time and Peter was my passenger. We waved you by when I couldn't figure out if the next turn was left or right.

Car for car, no comparison. Rad is surely more experienced than me at Sebring and likely a better driver as well. Re: this topic, RLers gave OT some good pointers. Nothing more to add. 5pgs on a useless thread.
Or he confused Gayman with 500HP Fiat, or you might be on you very first lap at Sebring, your 3rd lap you'd wipe the floor with that Gaymen, hell you'd wipe the floor with him in the Rustang.

That Gaymen cant get out of its own way after 3 heats when its overheating.

More experienced for sure. Maybe even on PS3. Better, hmm, not so much.
You push, you go faster than Rad, unless cone bashing perhaps but real driving no. Your just a bit relaxed driving under the limit.

Great thread for using wifi at 30K ft, beats reading Sky magazine for the fourth time.

Quick Reply: Cayman or GT2? Why are there so many arguments?