Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cayman or GT2? Why are there so many arguments?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
It will still be street drive a lot. If noting else going back and forth to the tracks. Lag would drive me nuts.

I'd prefer to deal with less, but smooth delivery HP.

I'm a fussy old coot.
If you can get to an "acceptable to you" power to weight ratio with normally aspirated that's always the preference.

Personally I find low lag turbos better suited to the freeway than the circuit. You might drive one and see if it's really as you expect it to be.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to catch myself from making an impulsive buy. I'm in the process of building a new home, and I want to get that out of the way first. I have time to pick a Porsche. I'd rather get one, and not have to change it.

Sometimes i'm impatient, but I need to avoid that this time. I need to see how everybody likes the new GT3, before I do anything. That's first on my list.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I, for one, LOVE my old GT3! Contrary to popular opinion, the RS stands for "really special".
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
If you can get to an "acceptable to you" power to weight ratio with normally aspirated that's always the preference.

Personally I find low lag turbos better suited to the freeway than the circuit. You might drive one and see if it's really as you expect it to be.
I have never tested your theory but it makes a lot of sense and is why I have not gone to smaller hybrid turbos that spool quicker.

But I think it may differ from a more street prep car.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,802 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Oops! Sorry you mentioned the turbo lag. I was thinking about the one for sale on this forum.

That's why i've always stayed away from turbos.
make no mistake gt3 had serious NA lag. below 5000 rpm it's gas no power basically a pos. 5-8500 rpm then we r talking. on street I rarely use fourth gear. third would clr 100
Old 07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I, for one, LOVE my old GT3! Contrary to popular opinion, the RS stands for "really special".
of course
only RS blow up tranny, clutch and pp
that's why I buy abide sell all in same month in fear of my Really Special GT3 self destruct.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I have to catch myself from making an impulsive buy. I'm in the process of building a new home, and I want to get that out of the way first. I have time to pick a Porsche. I'd rather get one, and not have to change it.

Sometimes i'm impatient, but I need to avoid that this time. I need to see how everybody likes the new GT3, before I do anything. That's first on my list.
after many many Porsches I tell u with confidence that if u think b4 u buy u will never love it. the one u buy Ina whim will b the love if ur life.

car is a mistress not a wife.
no one THINK about finding a mistress u just do it
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

after many many Porsches I tell u with confidence that if u think b4 u buy u will never love it. the one u buy Ina whim will b the love if ur life.

in terms of impatient, don't worry I have u beat. took too long to do my oil chg once, I bought another gt and drive that one home.

took my wife too long to deliver my first child. I got bored in the hospital, I bought an RS online with iPhone

trust me. just wing it. don't think. let talk to u b
Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
make no mistake gt3 had serious NA lag. below 5000 rpm it's gas no power basically a pos. 5-8500 rpm then we r talking. on street I rarely use fourth gear. third would clr 100
There's a difference though. A NA engine with a soft bottom will still come on smoother than a turbo lag. The turbo will be soft, and then hit hard. Not what you want in the middle of a sweeper.

It's also annoying on the street.

I'm pretty well set on not wanting a turbo. A GT3 RS will do fine for me, and run cooler. Our tracks in the summer are pretty hot.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
TrackFan
Banned

in terms of impatient, don't worry I have u beat. took too long to do my oil chg once, I bought another gt and drive that one home.

took my wife too long to deliver my first child. I got bored in the hospital, I bought an RS online with iPhone

trust me. just wing it. don't think. let talk to u b

One perk from being old. You have a lot of mistakes to learn from.

I'll do fine.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I like NA more too
but didn't want u b disappointed that RS is actually a momentum car
Old 07-21-2013, 04:32 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I like NA more too
but didn't want u b disappointed that RS is actually a momentum car
I wouldn't expect an engine of it's size and HP to have much low end. I'm good with it.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

then u understood well
time to pull the trigger a d join the cult.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Be patient grasshopper. I will.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

exactly..owning a Gt3 and GT2 -I know what Im talking about. People should stop complaining about the "turbo lag" of the the GT2 - the "turbo lag" of the GT3 unter 5000 is at least as big as in the GT2!

Those of you having driven both cars..will know this..by the time you have reached 5000-8500 in a GT3 the GT2 is already gone. The GT3s strengh is the 5000-8500rpm..which is in return the GT2 weakness..because it doesnt go to 8000..by far...

Quick Reply: Cayman or GT2? Why are there so many arguments?