Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rental for Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:19 PM
woshimihei
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and also, stay away from the curb, they are higher than you expected,if you touch the grass, it's half way to crash the car. drive safe and you will have fun
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Suggestions appreciated!
My wife and I are taking a side trip into Frankfurt the last week of Sept (Thurs-Sun) to go to the 'Ring.
The plan is to pick-up a 911 from Avis (200Eur/day). Thinking of making Koblenz the home base.
She will probably ride w/ me at the 'Ring, so won't want to push it too much...
Suggestions on places to stay (prefer nicer for wifey), eat, best time to go to the 'Ring, helmet rental, etc.
TIA, Phil
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't take the Porsche from AVIS to the Ring...They make you sign a 6000 Euro contract violation paper just as you leave :-((. Try to rent from Frankfurt, they don't ask any questions. You still face the risk being photographed by guys that will pass on your picture to the rental car agency. And it is in every contract in Germany NOT to take their car to the Ring. Better off to just rent at the Ring.
Originally Posted by GTEE3
Suggestions appreciated!
My wife and I are taking a side trip into Frankfurt the last week of Sept (Thurs-Sun) to go to the 'Ring.
The plan is to pick-up a 911 from Avis (200Eur/day). Thinking of making Koblenz the home base.
She will probably ride w/ me at the 'Ring, so won't want to push it too much...
Suggestions on places to stay (prefer nicer for wifey), eat, best time to go to the 'Ring, helmet rental, etc.
TIA, Phil
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Horstair,
thx for the heads-up...yes, I am going to pick-up 911 at the Frankfurt airport.
I will check-in to a track rental now.
cheers,
Phil
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first time there was in 05... wanted to rent a 997 from Avis but when we got there, they said a group had rented out ALL their 997's. there was still to ruling vs taking the car to the 'Ring.

when we got there, guess what we found? some bunch of tourists with a fleet of 997's which-- you guessed it-- all came from Avis, were there. turns out some enterprising tour company had organized a nurburgring holiday of sorts, and these guys were ALL over the track, driving like maniacs, passing on the wrong side, etc. it was my first time there, but even i could see they were an accident waiting to happen.

i'm sure stuff like that was instrumental in making Avis change their policy.

having said that, i was able to run Avis cars at the 'Ring on two separate occassions, a Cayman S, and the aforementioned 996 (C4S). thankfully, both were manuals.

as for proper rental companies... what guys here have said. have used both RSR and rentracecar, and both are excellent. we've rented everything from a Golf GTi DSG and old 328i E36, to their E92 M3.

i also broke in the RT12 and 997.1 GT3 on the autobahn and enjoyed them at the 'Ring before shipping them home.

so i've driven own cars, rentals from Avis and RSR/rentracecar 'Ring prepped cars... and i can say, had the most fun with the RSR/rentracecar ones. and the ones with LESS power.

as you would expect, that's because in your own car, you're always thinking in the back of your mind, don't crash! and in the case of the GT3/RT12, both cars were WAY beyond my modest driving abilities anyway...

but with a less powerful car that comes with a full cage, racing seat, and insurance policy... AND is much more in line with your own driving skills, i've found the enjoyment factor is much greater. don't get me wrong, the fear is still there-- as well it should be-- but you can push a bit more, and this is where matching your skill level with the car is so critical.

of course there IS something about driving a proper 911 at the 'Ring, as the track is sort of a spiritual home for any Porsche. but you know what i mean...

you'll have a blast regardless!!! back there next year, can't wait!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Give RSR a shout.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

thx guys, will do as you recommend!
Phil
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Can't take the Porsche from AVIS to the Ring...They make you sign a 6000 Euro contract violation paper just as you leave :-((. Try to rent from Frankfurt, they don't ask any questions. You still face the risk being photographed by guys that will pass on your picture to the rental car agency. And it is in every contract in Germany NOT to take their car to the Ring. Better off to just rent at the Ring.
+1 Sixt also now make you sign a contract stating that you will not track any of their exotics ...

best (sadly) go with a local such as rentracecar.de, RSR rent4ring ...
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Give RSR a shout.
Ive driven the RSR Exige at the ring ... great car ... wish it had a bit more power but the handling is exceptional...

being a 6' #235 guy entry and exit is "interesting" ...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Just rent a car in Amsterdam, no questions asked.
Or rentracecar.de These are good people are cool.

Show up, fill out the waiver they take you out in a van to show you the track to basically scare the **** out of you (One of the Japanese guys walked away after the ride. The rest of his friend should have) and after that they point at the car and off you go.

Unless you've done 50 laps get the slowest RWD car they rent :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
...Or rentracecar.de These are good people are cool...
+1...nice people...speak English and are used to Americans and our driver's licenses, etc.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Default Nurburgring trip

guys thanks for the info! have emails into track car rentals.
guess you can't take the license plate off the rental for the track...

Quick Reply: Rental for Nurburgring