Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

no love for Gt2......

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

We are busy driving and not typing! (OK, I wish that was true! )
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

GT2's are better street cars, and faster track cars...GT2 owners don't need to keep buying the 'new-7.1>7.2>4.0>..' model to go faster, we keep our current car and throw a couple grand at the next 'mod' and GO
I personally like the exhaust note of the GT2/Turbo models(especially with a basic/louder exhaust upgrade)-sounds like an atomic bomb going off GT3's do have a beautiful LeMans-esque sound though, comes down to personal preference on the sound issue
When shopping, I found GT3 almost boring as it was too easy to drive at/over limit, GT2 adds the drama/adrenaline I desire in my driving-machine
Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GT2.

I regularly track with 5 differernt GT3 RS'.

Last time out I drove a RS while my buddy drove my GT2.

It is indisputable- the sound of the RS is far superior. Gosh it was special.

On the short, curvy ORP and Ridge style tracks my HP advantage doesn't translate into faster times. Generally I am within 1 second of the RS crew except for Roland who is ***** to the wall.

In the end I disagree with Rad. But that's only one man's opinion on a very subjective topic.

I am incredibly happy with my GT2.

(And I am now searching for a more agressive exhaust)
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

It blows me away when I hear GT2s are better street cars....because you need 500 lb/ft for street driving, right?

Ironically some of the same people that say a GT3 has no power below 5k are the same ones that don't condone fast driving on the street, screaming to "take it to the track."

There's no better. There's personal preference.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course nj would say they are junk, worst sound my a$$ . I will have to put a sound clip on here.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

500lb/ft of torque at 3k rpm is nice to have, makes roll-on passes a breeze
GT3 are also great street cars, I just find the turbo'd low-end torque does come in handy at times-worry less about what gear you are in to make the business happen real quick. GT3's do have good low-end torque as well, but definitely do make the majority of their thrust in the top-end; the Turbo's really don't care what RPM you are at. The geographies of where each of our cars are used probably plays effect on our opinions as well.
The Porsche N/A vs. Turbo debate lives on...
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just thinking of trading my spyder (with PCCbs) for a Gt2 (that is clubsport version). I love the fact that the Gt2 adds another dimension to the acclaimed Gt3 and is severely underrated in both 996 and 997 versions.... I am leaning towards the 997 version because it has SC but the 996 version is half the price.

In any case, noise is less of an issue on track (and in fact a bonus as I don't have to worry about the noise tests). TBH, I am just intrigued by it. The only question for me is whether the handling is any different? and how does turbos affect the driving other than focus even more on slower in and carefully fast out (due to turbo torque). Also, do they come on MP cups?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by mepps
of course nj would say they are junk, worst sound my a$$ . I will have to put a sound clip on here.
Please do.

Originally Posted by khooni
Just thinking of trading my spyder (with PCCbs) for a Gt2 (that is clubsport version). I love the fact that the Gt2 adds another dimension to the acclaimed Gt3 and is severely underrated in both 996 and 997 versions.... I am leaning towards the 997 version because it has SC but the 996 version is half the price.

In any case, noise is less of an issue on track (and in fact a bonus as I don't have to worry about the noise tests). TBH, I am just intrigued by it. The only question for me is whether the handling is any different? and how does turbos affect the driving other than focus even more on slower in and carefully fast out (due to turbo torque). Also, do they come on MP cups?
Same here, I think you will love it.
I drove Eddies car on the street and I would love to learn to drive one at the track. I GT2 with straight pipes sounds pretty nice to me.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Turbos are faster in a straight line. 2/RS and 3/RS share basically the same chassis. If you can't figure how to drive a 2/RS fast you definitely won't drive a 3/RS fast either- you should just give up and get a Scud.
IMO, driving the turbo car is harder, which is why people go to the NA cars. Trying to corner fast enough to have no lag exiting corners in stock trim or lightly modded is no small feat. Otherwise, you get out of the power band and have surges (intimidation) everywhere. GT3's sound great outside, but nothing sounds better inside the cabin than a big block V8. Mostly because of all of Porsche sound deadening, especially with a helmet on.

Originally Posted by 993GT
GT2's are better street cars, and faster track cars...GT2 owners don't need to keep buying the 'new-7.1>7.2>4.0>..' model to go faster, we keep our current car and throw a couple grand at the next 'mod' and GO
I personally like the exhaust note of the GT2/Turbo models(especially with a basic/louder exhaust upgrade)-sounds like an atomic bomb going off GT3's do have a beautiful LeMans-esque sound though, comes down to personal preference on the sound issue
When shopping, I found GT3 almost boring as it was too easy to drive at/over limit, GT2 adds the drama/adrenaline I desire in my driving-machine
Agreed, with the GT3 you have to upgrade to a whole new car to go faster. With Turbo's you have much more upside. The turbo cars feel more at home on the street. The GT3 makes you feel stupid for only using 5k rpms on the street. 8k rpms - go to jail. The turbo just says "I'll keep this in my back pocket until you need it, but won't point out how slowly you are driving"

Originally Posted by Serge944
It blows me away when I hear GT2s are better street cars....because you need 500 lb/ft for street driving, right?

Ironically some of the same people that say a GT3 has no power below 5k are the same ones that don't condone fast driving on the street, screaming to "take it to the track."

There's no better. There's personal preference.
Good points.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

yeah...take an exciting gt3, then add two turbo's, intercool them, add some extra suspension adjustments like full rear rose joints, maybe a simple tweak to 600hp......and its really totally boring.....

Heres some boring footage of me, you know, being bored driving past a really quick GT3. Its boring, around 2min 10s onwards is where i come in in the GT2.....then doing a little boring drift at around 100km/h over a hill (around 2min 50s on) at pretty high speed, then a little boring power slide from the apex after that.

I totally concede re the sound though, Gt3 exhaust noise is the better one. The rest just cracks me up though. I honestly think most people just cant drive a GT2 properly, it is just 'too much' for them.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Re: boost threshold (which almost everyone here is erroneously referring to as boost lag)- how do you drive with it? Well, like any car, be in the right gear. If you're not lugging the motor, and not mashing down on the throttle like an oaf, the power isn't hard to deal with. I turn off SC on the track and street, and will soon start turning off TC also. Some of you want the nannies, some don't, but after you get used to the car, turning them off will let the car act more naturally and if you're a good enough driver that's what you want. For what it's worth the boost in my car comes in so early in the rpm range that you can hear the recirc valves working like crazy (that's when I know I'm in too low a gear too, usually below 3100rpm).

wanna911- my point is, if you can't figure out the cornering speed limit in a GT2 (it's the same as the GT3RS, if not slightly lower because of the slight increase of mass) you probably can't figure it out on the NA car either. All cars are momentum cars at the limit- more power only increases the rate at which you arrive at the brake zone and out from the corner if you are not traction limited. The NA cars are easier because their rate of speed cannot increase as quickly (and are thus inherently safer because the throttle can't get you into trouble as quickly as the turbocharged car, so you can be far more coarse with it)- but if you figure that out, they are the same.

Re: sound- that's a lot of performance to give up just for a different exhaust note. To each their own, when the NA and turbocharged cars are selling on the used market for the same price, the GT2 is the steal of the lineup, in my opinion.

Last edited by Nick Wong; 07-11-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

int erms of base alignment spec.s would be the same as the Gt3
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Heres some boring footage of me, you know, being bored driving past a really quick GT3. Its boring, around 2min 10s onwards is where i come in in the GT2.....then doing a little boring drift at around 100km/h over a hill (around 2min 50s on) at pretty high speed, then a little boring power slide from the apex after that.
Hmmmm......it sure seems that GT3 hung with you for the rest of the video even given that he lacked 2 turbos, intercoolers and suspension.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by khooni
int erms of base alignment spec.s would be the same as the Gt3
Same as the RS.

Wide body.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Hmmmm......it sure seems that GT3 hung with you for the rest of the video even given that he lacked 2 turbos, intercoolers and suspension.
He threw virtually every corner away. GT3 driver hit the corners better.

Considering that, the GT2 was by far the quicker car.

Quick Reply: no love for Gt2......